MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:04 pm

john_titor wrote:So, more people driving more snowplows, right?

Stebben84 wrote:Johnson St. on campus was a crap factory this morning. Seems to me that is one of those optimum routes.

I was thinking more along the lines of UPS and no left turns, but in terms of main drag, I get your drift.

I agree, more snow plows. I just haven't read anywhere that snow removal budgets have been cut.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 pm

I don't think we'll ever have great snow removal without an all cars off the road rule for after snowstorms. But yes, I would hope that we could do better than we do with the current rules.

One parked car messes up a quarter of a block, and then when they dig themselves out, the snow ends up in the street where it's smashed into ice. Between our alternate side parking system and natures tendency to follow these wet snows with freezing temps, many times half the street doesn't even have a chance to get properly cleared.

Getting every car off the street is a huge task, but I think there are cities that do it.

Youtube is full of videos on Montreal snow removal. I was going to post some but I can't connect to youtube right now. They don't just get the snow off the streets, they take it out of the city.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Does anyone remember the snow removal before we had all those mild winters and they butchered the snow budget, culminating with Mayor Dave's apology?

Maybe it was all a fever dream but I could swear we used to have fairly clean streets back then.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:16 pm

I don't know why they didn't declare a snow emergency for this last snow. The last time they did declare one was 1/31. They also declared another one the next night 2/1. They obviously needed to declare one more night but they didn't. So, the odd side of the street got plowed two nights in a row and the even side not at all. That seemed kinda dumb.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby Donald » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:12 pm

You want clean streets within budget? No parking on major routes and start enforcing opposite side parking, and by that I mean towing and impounding cars. If people won't accept that, then they'll have to put up with snow packed streets.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Snowplows came down our street three times after the last snowfall, but not once after the previous two snowfalls.

Once after each snowfall would be nice.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Donald wrote:You want clean streets within budget? No parking on major routes and start enforcing opposite side parking, and by that I mean towing and impounding cars.
Sounds good to me.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:49 pm

I had to go to the west side today -- neighborhood off Segoe -- and it's a mess. I could hardly get up one of the hills. I take it all back about how the east side gets the short end. My little dead-end east side street is plowed way better than that nice west-side neighborhood was.

So much for crackpot theories about neighborhood favoritism.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Wino wrote:Snowplows came down our street three times after the last snowfall, but not once after the previous two snowfalls.

Once after each snowfall would be nice.

My point exactly. Management. They've got the folks to plow, but they don't do it at the right times. We all knew it was going to snow, snow, rain, then snow. Do the math. That equals a mess and anyone whose walked around lately on the sidewalks knows that. Why didn't they plow that shit away before it rained and turned it into an ice rink. BAD Management of the resources.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 pm

shamfish wrote:...It has to do with the stupid rule of "plows up" while in transit, ...
First off, most major cities that get plowing done right have a "plows down" rule. In Syracuse, all plows were required by law to be down during transit, so that the roads were gone over and over and over by all active plows. Here, we don't do that. We do just the opposite. It's asinine. I hardly ever see plows, but 80 percent of those I see have their plows up when traveling from point A to B.

Speaking as south Louisiana native, ever since I moved up here (~12 years ago), this has always seemed odd to me, to say the least. So, honest question, is this actually a real law? If so, what's the reasoning for it? Does it produce extra damage to the asphalt? Something else?
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:31 pm

I thought the reason was it wore down the plow blades so much faster.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Tow. Tow early and tow often.

I can't imagine why the city won't tow unless a) they don't want to deal with the inevitably loud whining or b) they don't want to sign a contract with a towing company. If it's a), then that's only because people who are outraged by the current state of side streets aren't whining loudly enough yet.

Another guess is that the city simply doesn't care about plowing much in February because a big melt will likely happen within a week. They seem to do a better, more comprehensive job for December storms.

But regardless of the excuses and explanations offered, there is no way around the fact that Madison is lacking in the snow removal department. Another winter is nearly in the books and this remains true.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Will someone admit that East Side homeowners suck at shoveling up the slush while it's soft before its freezes into a slick jaggedy mess?
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 pm

jjoyce wrote:Tow. Tow early and tow often.
I tend to agree yet I also wonder where everyone who lives on the isthmus is supposed to put their car when there's so little off-street parking in so many of those neighborhoods.

I'd suggest perhaps there are simply too many people packed into the isthmus, but everytime I do that, people insult me.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I tend to agree yet I also wonder where everyone who lives on the isthmus is supposed to put their car when there's so little off-street parking in so many of those neighborhoods.

I'd suggest perhaps there are simply too many people packed into the isthmus, but everytime I do that, people insult me.
Too many people or too many cars?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe