MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Non-medicated posts responding to hydrocodone posts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Non-medicated posts responding to hydrocodone posts

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 am

Man that sucks. Wish you well on your healing.

Now I've gotta come up with a new image for you. I always thought gangly. Gigantic couch ass and gangly do not match.

Let's be careful out there people.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Non-medicated posts responding to hydrocodone posts

Postby gargantua » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:18 am

Sorry to hear about the fall. It will be interesting to see how many Forons are under the influence of hydrocone at any given time. I'm posting in this thread because the hydrocodone I took yesterday evening wore off overnight, so I'm only under the influence of ibuprofen at the moment. I came by my hydro by way of a tooth extraction.

No fun to be sure, but I wouldn't trade places with PJ for all the hydrocodone in China!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:22 am

Bummer.
Hey PJ, thanks for the compliment and passing of the peace pipe. I was on the stuff for a couple of weeks or so after I had a valve job and a timing chain thrown in. Those MD's at U.W. are more amazin' than the Mets. Anyhow, I got some advice you might want to heed. Stuff bound me up tighter than a dried out congo drum. I highly recommend Dulcolax stool softener. As the ad says, it doesn't make you go, it only makes it easier to go. Bananas, Rasin Bran or apples, that kind of thing if you don't believe in better living through chemistry.
I'm guessing you won't get any "high on hydros" responses on the other thread. It's just not a great big buzz at prescription levels. Only the younger ones who gobble them like m-n-m's get real "sleepy". Too many and they sleep forever.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:37 am

bdog wrote:Now I've gotta come up with a new image for you. I always thought gangly. Gigantic couch ass and gangly do not match.

I'm 6'1" and 270, so I'm pretty big, but not like Chris Christie big.

doppel wrote:I'm guessing you won't get any "high on hydros" responses on the other thread. It's just not a great big buzz at prescription levels.

I think what made me feel high was the fact that the pain was starting to subside for the first time in 24 hours. My ankle only hurts when I move it, but my knee just aches and aches and aches. I think the fracture boot is just a precaution, but I'll find out tomorrow. I feel better already this morning, so I'm thinking a few days on the couch and I'll at least be able to limp at a reasonable speed.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:34 pm

A hint: hoard the hydrocodone and use the ibuprofen first. Then if the pain subsides you won't need the hard stuff at all, and if it doesn't you'll have it when you're more desperate and worn out, not at the beginning when you still have mental reserves and feel reasonably tough and hopeful.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:04 pm

6'1" and 270 is not just big. It's morbidly obese.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Ibuprofen and naproxen are much better at relieving pain and also have anti-inflammatory properties.

Save the hydro for when you are healthy and can fully enjoy the euphoria.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:27 pm

I was told ibuprofen works better on women than on men. ??
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 am

Meade wrote:6'1" and 270 is not just big. It's morbidly obese.

I am assuming that that comment was "pro bono", else I think you have gypped, theoretical, paymasters.

Although, I am sensing a resurgence of this type of "messaging". Again, very boring and you are better than that.
MH

p.s. - is the condition of hyperthyroidism much better?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 am

Hey peej, hoping your'e feeling better. I'm in a similar situation, though not nearly as bad an injury. I badly strained a muscle in my arch, running in the Miami airport to make a connecting flight. Then I went for a run in huaraches a few days later when I thought it was healed. Nope.

So nearly 3 weeks later, I'm still hanging out on the couch all day and scarfing ibuprofen. I'm lucky though--they have a topical anti-inflammatory you can buy here in Brazil that works great for applying locally. I tried to bring a big tube of it back to CA when I went, but I forgot to pack it in my checked bags, so they took it from me at the airport.

How much longer with the fracture boot?
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Isn't mixing alcohol and hydrocodone suicidal?

Edit: I see. If it is suicidal, it likely isn't a very efficient way of self-murdering.
Mixing hydrocodone with alcohol, cocaine, amphetamines, methylphenidate, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, and a number of other medications can have severe adverse reactions including but not limited to heart failure, heart attack, respiratory distress, pulmonary failure, liver or kidney failure, jaundice, amnesia, seizures, blackouts, and coma.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocodon ... teractions

The most common medication compounded with hydrocodone is paracetamol (acetaminophen). The role of ethanol consumption in acetaminophen overdose is controversial, and a debate that has not yet proven clinical significance. Chronic alcoholics tend to be malnourished, however, and can have reduced stores of glutathione. This can lead to a decreased clearance of acetaminophen through the glucuronidation pathway in the body and increase NAPQI formation.

By the way, it may seem ironic but mordidly obese individuals are often also malnourished.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:00 pm

doppel wrote: Stuff bound me up tighter than a dried out congo drum.

Oopsie. I'm mixing up the oxycodene I got right after surgery with hydrocodone. Hydrocodone doesn't stop the flow, it's easy to go. They help a little with the pain, but as my good Dr. told me, they only are effective for about four hours. Good day to cocoon. Enjoy. And fucketh thou, Mr. Meade. A few beers is not a suicide attempt. It's a call for relief, not a call for help.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Sucks, PJ. I know too well the ass pain of hobbling around with a bum wing in winter.

I don't know about twists and sprains, but I've been told ibuprofen will actually slow the healing process of a broken bone, precisely due to it's anti-inflammatory properties. Swelling sucks, but it's also part of the healing process.

Also, like some less reliable source mentioned, watch the alcohol with the hydrocodone/APAP. Unless they're giving you the straight stuff without the acetaminophen (which they almost never do), your liver will thank you to lay off the booze when commiserating with the Tylenol family. And, of course, downers and alcohol is just asking for a dinner date with Keith Moon.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Unless they're giving you the straight stuff without the acetaminophen (which they almost never do), your liver will thank you to lay off the booze when commiserating with the Tylenol family.

I got some hydrocodone for a wisdom tooth and really didn't need it for the pain. I knew this same thing about hydrocodone and liver issues and checked out the vaults of erowid(check it out if you've never gone through their website) Apparently the opiates are water soluble, but the Acetaminophen is not. You dissolve the pill in warm water, then run it through a coffee filter. This eliminates the "Tylenol" but the narcotic remains in the water. Hence mixing this with booze will do less damage to your liver.

This was many moons ago and I tried it. Drank the water and lasted about 1/2 way through one drink and promptly vomited.

Moral of the story. Don't do this.

I did have to take Hydrocodone for a bike accident more recently. My back was all sorts of fucked up and this stuff was a life saver. Sure enough after about 4 hours it wears off. I only had about a 5 day supply and it really sucked when that ran out, but I knew pretty quick why people get hooked on that shit so be careful with refills.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm not sure what all you folks are talking about. You never drank a few beers after downing painkillers? Shit, for extra effect, I check to see if the medication says "take with food" and "don't drink alcohol" and then wait until I'm good and hungry before popping the pill and downing a few beers.

Maybe it's a hard liquor thing. Taking hydrocodone and then drinking whiskey straight from the bottle seems like a terrible idea, but then again I never drink hard liquor, so drinking whiskey from the bottle always seems like a terrible idea to me. Beer kind of eases you into a stupor, whiskey more or less beats you over the head with it.

Not only did I kill 9 beers with my hydrocodone last night, I took a sip of Nyquil before I went to bed and slept about 10 hours. If alcohol and acetaminophen is a bad mix, what in the hell is Nyquil? It's like two tylenol ground up into a shot of Jagermeister with a splash of Robitusson. I've actually heard of people become addicted to Nyquil, though it seems more like they hid some painkillers in a dog turd to see if anyone would be desperate enough to eat it.

Anyway, I didn't take any of the hydrocodone today, figuring I could turn a buck selling it to some desperate yuppie. The doctor said that was fine, but I should keep up the Ibuprofen. I have to leave the fracture boot on until Friday, though. Two doctors and four x-rays and they still couldn't tell if it was fractured. I guess sometimes swelling will close up a small fracture and make it hard to see and only after the swelling goes down does the fracture open up. Anyway, no cast given the location, so just keep wearing the boot and pretend that it's fractured, whether it is or isn't.

Felt a lot better this morning, though. I can hobble around but the muscles on both legs are starting to ache, probably from walking funny. I wish I had some bananas, in case I start cramping up.

In honor of Meade, who's morbidly stupid, I'm going to fry up a pound of bacon tonight and then fry a New York Strip in the bacon grease. Yeah, it's suicidal, but if I die of a heart attack in my sleep, I'll be the only one who never finds out that I died. And a steak deep fried in bacon grease is a tasty way to check out.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All