MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Popewatch '13

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Popewatch '13

Postby Madcity Expat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 pm

I find it interesting that Benedict is quitting citing frailty while his predecessor, John Paul II, made his own aged suffering a matter of public display. The New Yorker already has a piece on this.

The cynic in me wonders if abdicating will enable Benedict to have some influence over the succession. Is he abdicating so he can choose his heir? Someone has to keep the reversal of Vatican II in motion.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:32 pm

I suppose we'll be bombarded with ads until we see the white smoke.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Madcity Expat wrote:The cynic in me wonders if abdicating will enable Benedict to have some influence over the succession. Is he abdicating so he can choose his heir? Someone has to keep the reversal of Vatican II in motion.

You might be on to something. Does he also get to vote (I think there is an age limit)?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:You might be on to something. Does he also get to vote (I think there is an age limit)?

I'm not sure but the Vatican denies it:
Pope Benedict XVI will not take part in the Conclave for the election of his successor.Pope Benedict XVI will move to the Papal residence in Castel Gandolfo when his resignation shall become effective.

Of course they would, wouldn't they?
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:42 pm

My favorite comments from the readers' chatter below the New Yorker article (linked earlier):

With the top slot open at the Vatican, perhaps Justice Scalia will throw his robe in the ring in Rome; gilt and pompous white will be the better fit.

I think a young, hip pope will be what the church needs to update its image. Kinda irreverent, but a good role model, like one of the Power Rangers. That's it: a Green Ranger pope piloting a St. Peter Dragon Zord...sponsored by Pepsi. Keen!
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Madcity Expat wrote:The cynic in me wonders if abdicating will enable Benedict to have some influence over the succession. Is he abdicating so he can choose his heir? Someone has to keep the reversal of Vatican II in motion.

You might be on to something. Does he also get to vote (I think there is an age limit)?

Cardinals 80 or under, so no on that count. Unless he gets a special pope vote.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Cardinals 80 or under, so no on that count. Unless he gets a special pope vote.

Ok, but influencing the succession must involve more than just Ratzinger's one vote (or not). As soon-to-be-former Pope surely he has special command of the inside-ballgame Vatican politics. Maybe he even saw some writing on the wall (the metaphorical kind).

You know there must be pro- and anti-Benedict factions that have been maneuvering for position and circling for when the old man dies. It's hard (one presumes) to influence the succession when your dead. So why not quit - and then pull all the strings you can for your favorite.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Madcity Expat wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Cardinals 80 or under, so no on that count. Unless he gets a special pope vote.

You know there must be pro- and anti-Benedict factions that have been maneuvering for position and circling for when the old man dies. It's hard (one presumes) to influence the succession when your dead. So why not quit - and then pull all the strings you can for your favorite.

I imagine that to closely resemble the scenes featuring the Skeksis in The Dark Crystal.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Madcity Expat wrote:

I imagine that to closely resemble the scenes featuring the Skeksis in The Dark Crystal.

Scary, I had the same image going through my head.

I'm sure popes put some (a lot?) of effort into influencing who their successor will be, during their life. Pope Palpatine will just get to nudge things along a bit more forcefully.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:40 pm

Other popes who have resigned. An interesting read from the NYT.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:54 pm

1. I will be watching with great interest. Any time you have a chance to wait for the white smoke, it is up there with US Presidential Elections or World Cup championships, for international interest.

2. Despite my technical eligibility, I think there has never been a Pope of Irish descent, and my apostasy in becoming a Unitarian has seriously hurt my chances. But I figure if I can get Stu Levitan's backing, anything is possible.

3. The Euro bookies are having a field day on the early odds. Paddy Power of Ireland has Peter Turkson of Ghana at the early 3-1 odds, but I'd hold out for one of the Italianos, either Scola or Ravisi. See here:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-b ... pe-betting

The Brit house of William Hill has about the same oddsmaking. Note the Latinos of Argentina and Honduras being in the hunt:

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb ... t-XVI.html

4. A serious reading of Il Papa's Latin speech reveals that, after the usual ritualistic prayers, etc., all he said in resigning his post was "Hooh, boy, I'm too pooped to Pope!"

5. Since the entire College of Cardinals of eligible voters were appointed by Wotyla and Ratzinger, you can be assured that the next Pope will follow in their doctrinal stance, i.e., no serious changes. I predict one of the younger, media-savvy, conservative Europeans will assume Peter's Chair.

6. An interesting question -- and one I assume you could bet on at the Euro sites -- is whether the conclave will conclude its work and we will see the white smoke before Easter. Easter is early this year; Fat Tuesday is tomorrow, marking the start of Lent.

7. I have a personal theory, with no basis amongst my sources, that Ratzinger did this to try to create a new precedent that the Pope may resign as he becomes too old and feeble to work. The Ratz saw this happen to JP II, where his last years were a joke, and he saw it happening to himself. Ratzinger hasn't done much else to make a mark on the RC Church except to follow JP II's retrogressive policies, and at least admit the pedophilic scandal exists, so he sees this as a chance to make a real change in RC Church history.

Ite, Missa Est.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:12 am

Michael Patrick wrote:I suppose we'll be bombarded with ads until we see the white smoke.

Michael,
That was a very funny and simultaneously scary comment in a dystopian 'RoboCop' kind of way. And, yes, 'I'll buy that for a dollar".
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:49 am

Mad Howler wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:I suppose we'll be bombarded with ads until we see the white smoke.

Michael,
That was a very funny and simultaneously scary comment in a dystopian 'RoboCop' kind of way. And, yes, 'I'll buy that for a dollar".
MH

I wonder what a negative Papal election ad would look like. Accuse a Cardinal of liking little girls? Or secretly having a copy of Black Sabbath's first album?
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:09 am

No matter who they pick the only thing that really matters: Will he survive the recall election next year?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:I keep reading the title of this thread wrong....stupid brain

-Dan Motor

I read it perfectly fine.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines