MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

I might join the NRA if they weren't such douche bags

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

I might join the NRA if they weren't such douche bags

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:29 pm

I've had difficulty deciding with topic placement on this one, but since there is a local (Wisc terra firma) angle here we go...

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/0 ... mobile=ncd

In my opinion the NRA are a bunch of bastard tools of the gun industry. This might be a funny notion if their efforts did not hold such grave sway over OUR public policy. There are so many things that are troubling about how they operate that I think it important to call out their misdeeds. Although I appreciated their support of the hunters safety program I attended back in the day, sadly they have a very different agenda nowadays. I pity the fools, indeed.

MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I might join the NRA if they weren't such douche bags

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:15 am

It's interesting that they appear certain that there won't be any other incidents while they're waiting.

Or maybe not. Maybe they've got a stockpile of generic "That don't mean nothin" sound bytes ready to pull out and tailor for whatever random act of violence comes next.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:19 am

Mad Howler wrote:Although I appreciated their support of the hunters safety program I attended back in the day, sadly they have a very different agenda nowadays.

Not sure how much support there was from the NRA when I took the course- my certificate from '84 only indicates WI DNR. However, I also generally supported the NRA when I was younger (without ever joining). My years of participation in "rifle club" (SWRA) as a kid and the annual deer hunts gave me a modest level of exposure to firearms and I valued the support of an organization that I felt promoted my interests.

I agree, it has been disheartening to see the evolution of their agenda.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 am

The takeover of a formerly-legitimate special-interest group by big business and industry to fit their lobbying needs? You don't say...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Crockett wrote:The takeover of a formerly-legitimate special-interest group by big business and industry to fit their lobbying needs? You don't say...

The notion is madness, I know, but it seems that folks are getting hip to the tactic.
MH

p.s. - I haven't noticed your moniker around here for awhile, thanks for checking in.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government