MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

Postby minicat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:55 pm

narcoleptish wrote:On Madison.com today:

Stephen Schultz, Madison Streets Division operations manager, said Monday he’s been getting a fair number of complaints. “It started yesterday with the rain.”

The typical complaint was from residents who said their street hadn’t been plowed. Not so, says Schultz.

“All streets have been plowed three times in the last nine days,” he says. ....

Dear Stephen Schultz,
Going down the same street three times AFTER everything that wasn't plowed during the past nine days has already frozen down into a lumpy, suspension-destroying hellscape does not count as "All streets have been plowed three times in the last nine days."
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Yesterday night the ice was so bad my dog couldn't even walk on it. He was sliding all over and finally turned around and tried to pull me home. I agreed.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seashells » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:59 pm

I finally reported someone. The people who want to open the new "Brew and Grow" at the corner of Willy and Thornton have completely neglected the sidewalks and they are really, really bad. There are some other bad patches in the neighborhood, but this is the worst I've seen yet.

Not a good way to start off neighborly relations for a new business.
seashells

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:13 pm

I also reported a few icy sidewalks. I got an email back stating that three of them were nonexistant addresses. I replied that that was the number on the house as I wrote it down. I hope that when they go there, they'll take a look down the block!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I also reported a few icy sidewalks. I got an email back stating that three of them were nonexistant addresses.
From my experience, this is typical. And if you follow-up, you'll be told something along the line of "there's a special exemption for "yada-yada." But no documentation is ever provided for such an exemption. If you persist, eventually, you'll get a nonsense referral to the traffic department, or the engineering department, or to the Castle ... who will naturally have no idea what you're talking about but will nonethelesss send you a courtesy message saying that they will pursue the issue. (Which is either where the story ends or where it is catapaulted beyond the range of our solar system.)

This is only one reason why the goofy notion of selective-enforcement-based-on-complaint makes no sense at all. If there are no resources to enforce a law across the board, that law serves only those who have resources.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I also reported a few icy sidewalks. I got an email back stating that three of them were nonexistant addresses. I replied that that was the number on the house as I wrote it down. I hope that when they go there, they'll take a look down the block!

And write everyone a ticket with a patch of ice on their sidewalk? Would that make you feel good?

I can understand reporting the house on your block that NEVER shovels. But seriously, when 3/4 of the sidewalks in the city are covered in ice due to winter I find this reporting thing a little ridiculous.

If you honestly think every elderly person, single mothers working multiple jobs, insert 20 other reasons why people do not have time or energy to spend chipping away at ice so their side walk is completely bare, deserve or can afford a $100+ ticket you are a very cruel person.

For the record, I was out chipping ice on Sunday night and my walks are still not completely ice free. I have a low spot where the snow melts and pretty much impossible to keep that area ice/water free when there is any amount of snow. I do put out sand.

Furthermore, I was also out walking with the wife on Sunday early eve and most of the walks were pretty icy. Yet somehow I managed not to feel embarrassed or look down on all those people with icy walks. I somehow refrained from reporting 50+ icy walks we encountered because it is winter and we are in Wisconsin.

I do hold businesses to a higher standard and agree with the rip on the Brew 'n Grow. They should take the time to chip the ice if they want to be a good neighbor and welcome customers.

All I am saying is, if you are going to report someone, be sure they really deserve it.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:43 pm

eriedasch wrote:If you honestly think every elderly person, single mothers working multiple jobs, insert 20 other reasons why people do not have time or energy to spend chipping away at ice so their side walk is completely bare, deserve or can afford a $100+ ticket you are a very cruel person.

It's called sand and salt. Sand is FREE from the city. It's also called taking care of your property. I have a neighbor who lives on the corner and their ENTIRE sidewalk on both sides is an icy fucking mess to the point I walk in the street. FUCK THAT. I almost bit it the other day because they can't put some goddamn sand down or take care of their shit when it warmed up.

Lots of swears in this? Yes, cause this pisses me off. Sure a couple icy patches isn't going to anger me, but when your entire sidewalk is unwalkable, you're damn right I'm gonna report you. Boohoo if you get get a ticket. You purchased the house and with that comes responsibility. If you can't handle that, you should be renting.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:50 pm

The people I reported had sidewalks completely covered with bumpy ice, no salt, no sand, nothing. I had to do a slippery penguin walk in order to avoid falling and breaking anything.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Me too. We've got one blind couple down the street and last I counted, three elderly homeowners who a. walk up and down the sidewalks a lot and b. managed to get their own walks cleared or sanded.

I helped a couple of em out with part b but they managed. And they still have to deal with the folks who just couldn't manage to clear their walks.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Bwis53 wrote:The people I reported had sidewalks completely covered with bumpy ice, no salt, no sand, nothing. I had to do a slippery penguin walk in order to avoid falling and breaking anything.

You should list the addresses so more people can report them. I doubt that one single complaint will amount to much, but if enough people concerned about this also report it (Henry Vilas, Stebben84, others?) they are sure to get a ticket.

I would also recommend getting something to put on your feet for better traction on ice. We all know the reality of walking around in winter and cannot expect or assume every surface to be ice-free even if that is the "law".
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:27 pm

eriedasch wrote:If you honestly think every elderly person, single mothers working multiple jobs, insert 20 other reasons why people do not have time or energy to spend chipping away at ice so their side walk is completely bare, deserve or can afford a $100+ ticket you are a very cruel person.

If you honestly think everybody should risk life and limb walking down an ice-covered sidewalk, you are a very cruel person.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:45 pm

eriedasch wrote:I would also recommend getting something to put on your feet for better traction on ice. We all know the reality of walking around in winter and cannot expect or assume every surface to be ice-free even if that is the "law".

Ever put one of those traction things on your feet and then walked on a clear sidewalk?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 pm

DCB wrote:If you honestly think everybody should risk life and limb walking down an ice-covered sidewalk, you are a very cruel person.

All I am saying is, if you are going to report someone, be sure they really deserve it.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:57 pm

rabble wrote:
eriedasch wrote:I would also recommend getting something to put on your feet for better traction on ice. We all know the reality of walking around in winter and cannot expect or assume every surface to be ice-free even if that is the "law".

Ever put one of those traction things on your feet and then walked on a clear sidewalk?

No. But I bet you have.
Please correct if this is bad advice. How should people deal with icy sidewalks other than reporting them to the city?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:04 pm

eriedasch wrote: How should people deal with icy sidewalks other than reporting them to the city?

Devices like yak trax will slip. It's basically reversing the situation. Great traction on ice and snow, slippery on a smooth dry surface. Quick involuntary foot movements send your feet out from under you. The smoother the concrete, the worse it is.

There's only three ways I know of. Throw sand at the ice, avoid the ice, or walk/slide over the ice like a penguin.

If the sidewalks are nothing but slop, traction devices are great.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe