MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker may reject $4 billion Obamacare funds

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Walker may reject $4 billion Obamacare funds

Postby Huckleby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:01 pm

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics ... 11-20.html

Susan Dentzer, the health care expert on PBS, has a far more optimistic view of the Obamacare rollout than I've read elsewhere. She thinks that state-run exchanges will be superior to fed exchanges, but that the federal government has the funding to hire private contractors to create and operate exchanges even if half the states don't participate.

Her view is that the states will be given a lot of latitude to operate exchanges, in contrast to what we're hearing from the rebellious governors.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:24 am

Here's an excellent overview of Walker's healthcare damages, plus some opinions on the exchange rollout in WI:
http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2012/11/21/mu ... -governor/

Walker appointed a Heritage Foundation guy, Dennis Smith, to run the state Department of Health Services. Smith wants to abolish Medicaid entirely! Gee, I wonder if we'll be seeing medicaid expansion in Wisconsin.

Currently, 130,000 low-income adults who qualify for BadgerCare are denied opportunity to purchase coverage. They are on an endless waiting list due to underfunding. The Packer season ticket waiting list is shorter. Hard to believe that the people of Wisconsin tolerate this travesty. (I'm refering to the waiting list, not Walker, excuse the ambiguity.)
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Walker fucks over the poor (again).

Walker says no to federal Medicaid expansion
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Walker fucks over the poor (again).

Walker says no to federal Medicaid expansion

I wish one of the Democratic PACs would do an off-year political ad that went something like this.

There are 135,000 Wisconsites that want to get on insurance but Gov Walker won't let them. They want to pay for a part of their insurance premiums that they can afford. Instead when they go to the hospital or doctor for treatment the citizens of Wisconsin pick-up the bill by paying higher health care costs.

Tell Gov Walker to let people help pay for their own health care.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Hey now. Gov. Walker says HIS plan is going to cover 224,000 people. Why wouldn't we just trust him on that? Seems like an honest guy.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:24 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/so ... 65231.html

You don't understand. Walker has simply found that sensible middle ground. He is a nice man.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Walker would rather have insured people subsidize the uninsured when hospitals and doctors pad their bills to cover those unable to pay.

I can't figure out why the insured don't understand this and complain.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:11 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Hey now. Gov. Walker says HIS plan is going to cover 224,000 people. Why wouldn't we just trust him on that? Seems like an honest guy.

His secret plan is to give each one of them one of those new jobs he's creating. Then their new employer can cover them.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Or he's hoping the uninsured will just give up and move out of state. If they're also unemployed this would help bring down the unemployment rate as well, and without anyone having to create any of those pesky new jobs that seem to keep eluding him.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby lukpac » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Come on guys, it's because he CARES:

"Some people will portray this as not caring about people. I think it's just the opposite. I care too much about the people of this state not to empower them to control their own destiny," Walker told the audience.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 79601.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Is there anybody out there who still can listen to garbage like that without wanting to gag?

How is it better to make some people pay extra for insurance and make those who can't pay extra do without? Does paying more make them feel superior to those who can't pay? Does not having insurance make the others better people? Are the ones without insurance purposely being stubborn and remaining inferior people? Once the program begins, do the insured think less of the newly uninsured because they can no longer afford insurance? Do they think more of the ones who pay more than they did before? Are people unable to afford more expensive insurance not controlling their own destiny, while people who can afford it are controlling theirs? What is this destiny thing, anyway?

I can't make any sense out of Walker's word salad at all.

Even Paul Ryan is walking back his campaign comments about social security and medicare recipients, "makers" and "takers." Politifact created a whole new award for him today:

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/sta ... t-what-h-/

Someone needs to tell the governor.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm

snoqueen wrote:I can't make any sense out of Walker's word salad at all.

Its not supposed to make sense. Its just a lot of mumbo jumbo to keep you distracted from the fact you're getting fucked coming and going.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Scott Walker is a damn skillful politician.

He was seemingly cornered, yet he's found a way to repudiate Obamacare, satisfying his base and keeping his political plan on track, and at the same time take credit for expanding Badgercare.

It's a fraud, a shell game. He raised the income eligibility requirements for medicaid to save some money, then added some childless adults into the program who were on waiting lists. Uhh, I guess he's hoping to indirectly tap into federal funds by getting more low income people on subsidized insurance rather than medicaid. I don't understand or care about all the hocus pocus. The bottom line is that about $3 billion in funds for WI low income people are gone. and about 5 or 6% of the population probably just lost their shot at health insurance.

I hope Walker pays a price for his political scheming. I'm not confident he will. Medicaid is NOT a politically popular program. Most people don't realize that BadgerCare is in fact medicaid in WI. Walker has skillfully embraced the "BadgerCare" brand, and suggested that "medicaid" and "Obamacare" are some other wasteful programs for lazy people from the feds.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:45 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... thinks-so/

Sarah Kliff at WP attempts an even-handed analysis of Walker's plan.

My head is spinning. WI is in a very odd position, starting with relatively generous medicaid. I assume that Walker is engaged in shinanigans, but I can't weigh all the tradeoffs.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 am

http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/191141631.html
"Under Walker's plan, only adults making $11,490 dollars a year or $15,510 for couples, in other words at the poverty level, would eligible for Medicaid. The governor wants more people to buy insurance through the private exchanges."

Yes, Walker believes so much in those exchanges that he refused to lift a pinky to help customize them for WI.

Jesus fucking Christ! This is a radical change indeed. They are opening up medicaid for destitute adults who make $11K or less, good. But at the cost of eliminating people in the $11K or $22K range.

Private insurance regulated on an exchange has the *potential* to provide superior health services compared to medicaid. But I expect the private insurance at the low-cost end is going to carry deductibles. Are the subsidies really going to pick up all the costs?

Medicaid is a cheaper way to provide poor people with basic health care than private insurance.

This smells like a shell game that will result in fewer people being insured, at much higher costs for the fed government. I think Walker is trying to wreck Obamacare as priority #1.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government