MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The good ship Ewwww

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

The good ship Ewwww

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:56 pm

I find this both horrible and hilarious.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/12/travel/cr ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Ewwwww.

That about sums up how people are describing conditions aboard the Carnival Triumph Tuesday as tugboats slowly drag the stricken cruise ship toward Alabama -- and freedom for its 3,143 passengers.

Some on the ship reported sewage sloshing around in hallways, flooded rooms and trouble getting enough to eat after a fire in the ship's engine room Sunday left it drifting in the Gulf of Mexico....

...Passenger Ann Barlow said the staff on the Triumph was doing a good job, but that flooded rooms, hot, humid conditions, long lines for food and overwhelming odors were making things tough for passengers.

"It's disgusting. It's the worst thing ever," she told CNN Monday.

Barlow's husband, Toby, said she told him there was "sewage running down the walls and floors" with passengers being asked to defecate in bags and urinate in showers due to the lack of functioning toilets. The air conditioning is also out.

Not a fan of cruises. Also not a big fan of shitting in a bag so maybe it all works out for me.

Would you take a full refund or a rain check?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The good ship Ewwww

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Refund for me, if they offered that alternative. I have read that they often only offer a voucher for another trip.

I've never had much of an urge to take a cruise either.....but not because of this incident. This is a bonus reason!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:47 pm

I was on one cruise and that was enough. It's like being in a giant sold-out hotel, and nobody can leave. The only place I could go that wasn't crowded was the library. Forget about relaxing by the pool unless you're willing to get up at 6AM to claim a lounge chair.

I have friends who love them but to me the whole environment of excessive consumption just turns me off. At the evening dinner you can order anything and everything off the menu. There were people who ordered every dessert just so they could try a bite of each and left the rest. I can't imagine the workload on the ships septic system.

When things occasionally go bad on these huge ships, it seems like there's no easy way to evacuate everyone. This isn't bad enough to break out the lifeboats but it sounds pretty miserable. If you're in a Hilton and everything goes to shit you just pack your bags and take a cab to the Hyatt. Easy peasy.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 am

narcoleptish wrote:I was on one cruise and that was enough. It's like being in a giant sold-out hotel, and nobody can leave. The only place I could go that wasn't crowded was the library.

My experience as well. I did manage to find some precious solitude by waking early every day and enjoying a few cups of coffee on the lower deck railings as the sun came up. I also made it a habit to take a glass of Scotch and a Dominican cigar to the stern as the ship would leave port and quietly enjoy the view as the islands slipped off into the horizon.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 am

I went on a cruise a few years back that was provided compliments of my inlaws.

Woke up one morning and flipped on the TV news and was confronted with scenes of a strangely familiar-looking cruise ship filled with smoke and people running around with looks of horror on their faces. The ship in the images was exactly like the one I was on, right down to the color of the carpeting and wallpaper patterns.

Fortunately it was a sister ship from the same cruise line that was on fire at sea, and not the ship we were on. But it didn't do much more making me feel safe.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:46 pm

My in-laws are constantly badgering us about going on a cruise with them. Now that we have kids they are trying to guilt me into bringing my family aboard a Disney cruise.

Hell no. I told my wife that if they ever ask again, the answer is still hell no and also that my kids can't go on a cruise until they are 18. I'm not budging.

A cruise represents everything I hate about mass consumerism.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:26 pm

juanton wrote:A cruise represents everything I hate about mass consumerism.

Amen. Stay strong.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:56 pm

We went on a Holland America Alaskan Cruise/Tour last year. It made us feel young again, mostly because the average age was 70. We enjoyed it, but are not real likely to go on one again.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:29 am

It's almost home.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/travel/cr ... ?hpt=hp_c1

Sounds like Carnival is stepping up, not that they really have a choice.

Carnival promises an army of about 200 employees will take care of its passengers once they clear customs.

Passengers can board buses to Galveston or Houston, Texas, or spend the night in a hotel in New Orleans.

Carnival said it has reserved and arranged approximately 100 motor coaches, more than 1,500 New Orleans hotel rooms, multiple charter flights from New Orleans to Houston on Friday and transportation from Houston to the Port of Galveston so that guests may retrieve their cars if they drove to the port.

Compensation for travelers

The cruise line said it would give each passenger $500, a free flight home, a full refund for their trip and for most expenses on board, as well as a credit for another cruise.

I understand why people take cruises, they're usually more affordable than a hotel on a beach somewhere, you go to multiple destinations, plenty of food, etc.

It's just not for me. I love being on the water though and definitely wouldn't turn down an invite from a Russian oligarch for a month aboard some super-yacht .

Igor wrote:We went on a Holland America Alaskan Cruise/Tour last year.

Seeing that scenery from a ship would be amazing but I'll probably still pass.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 am

During my recent month-long vacation to CA, I talked with my sister about having her meet me this summer in Miami for a week or 10-day cruise...that plan is now out the window!

I might look into doing one of the more active Barefoot Cruises or something similar, but my sis isn't as active, so I'm not sure it would work for her. Oh well.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:47 am

Geez, guys. You make it sound like this is everyday happenstance. There are dozens of these cruises headed to sea each week and it's not like they're all doomed.

For every ship that ends up resorting to a distress call, there are tens of others that don't require you to shit in a bag or wade through rivers of raw sewage on your way to the shuffleboard courts. And if something goes wrong? Free cruise!

I, for one, like those odds. Hell, it's not like they resorted to cannibalism or anything ... though, to be fair, it's tough to sustain one's appetite when one's main course hasn't showered since his last bag-shitting.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:55 am

Oh absolutely. Even so, most cruises that go off without a hitch still have a pool scene that looks like this.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:11 am

I wonder if a ship keeps a supply of bags meant specifically for bag shitting? And what is the collection process... is there room to room pick-up, a central receptacle on all decks, a don't ask/don't tell disposal policy?

Technique? Is it back against the wall with both hands holding the bag, one hand bracing yourself while making an undoubtedly feeble attempt at one-handing the bag, or simply shitting on the floor and picking it up afterward like on a dog walk?

I'm guessing that ship gets renamed and quietly rotated into service somewhere far away.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines