MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Daryl Hannah protesting against Keystone oil pipeline

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Daryl Hannah protesting against Keystone oil pipeline

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
rabble wrote:There's danger! It's everywhere! Therefore we must make more of it right away!

Until you can prove to us that you're off the grid in a cabin burning sheep dung and scavanging for your dinner you're part of the problem man!

Yep. Let's run some oil through our water supply, make a buttload of profit, and blame the people who buy it when it fucks up.

I'll take higher costs and less energy rather than have that pipeline. It's not like we'll slide into the dark ages if we don't get it. It'll just cost more and take longer.

But the Neds won't have any of that. We need to stay firmly locked in the 20th century.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
DCB wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:'Course all of you fly, drive, use plastic products, heat and cool your homes, use computers, IPads, cell phones, plug in your electric cars, use items shipped by truck, air and rail....but don't want the infrastructure to "fuel" your lifestyles...too dangerous!
Are you saying its not dangerous? or you just don't care?

Let's put your hysteria in perspective. Bookie claims that 53 people have died in the "2000s" due to pipeline accidents. In 2012 alone, 450 more people were shot in gun-free Chicago. Life is dangerous!

Hello Strawman!!!

Yes, I use oil and natural gas. If we don't mine in certain places and it saves our environment so that our children have as wonderful as a place to live as we do I am willing to pay an extra $1.00 or more for a gallon of gas.

It's funny that the word conserve is the base root for conservatism and the conservative right-wing is hell bent on destroying our planet.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:39 pm

HawkHead wrote:Yes, I use oil and natural gas. If we don't mine in certain places and it saves our environment so that our children have as wonderful as a place to live as we do

Translation: NIMBY
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
HawkHead wrote:Yes, I use oil and natural gas. If we don't mine in certain places and it saves our environment so that our children have as wonderful as a place to live as we do

Translation: NIMBY

How about we already have oil producing wells and reserves for 50+ years. Why not develop alternative energy sources now?

You do know at some point (hopefully a long time from now) we will run out of all of our gas, oil and coal.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Let's put your hysteria in perspective. Bookie claims that 53 people have died in the "2000s" due to pipeline accidents. In 2012 alone, 450 more people were shot in gun-free Chicago. Life is dangerous!

Fossil fuel... guns... Republicans.

Life with Republicans is dangerous.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:56 pm

wack wack wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Let's put your hysteria in perspective. Bookie claims that 53 people have died in the "2000s" due to pipeline accidents. In 2012 alone, 450 more people were shot in gun-free Chicago. Life is dangerous!

Fossil fuel... guns... Republicans.

Tell that to the citizens of Chicago. Leftist hotbed, gang-bangers' paradise. Barry O's own backyard.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Until you can prove to us that you're off the grid in a cabin burning sheep dung and scavanging for your dinner you're part of the problem man!

ahem.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Tell that to the citizens of Chicago. Leftist hotbed, gang-bangers' paradise. Barry O's own backyard.

Violence in Chicago is the result of Republican-endorsed poverty. The fact that guns are so available is the fault of national Republicans.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Interesting. 8 of the 10 most violent states in the US voted Republican in November. And 8 of the 10 safest states voted Democratic.

From 24/7 Wall Street, that notable lefty rag.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Wait a minute. Hold on there, Tex. It is an irrefutable fact that in areas known to be leftist strongholds, there are people who own guns. And there's violence.

This proves something.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:56 pm

kurt_w wrote:Interesting. 8 of the 10 most violent states in the US voted Republican in November. And 8 of the 10 safest states voted Democratic.

"247 Wall St.com quoting the "Institue for Economics and Peace"?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm

kurt_w wrote:Interesting. 8 of the 10 most violent states in the US voted Republican in November. And 8 of the 10 safest states voted Democratic.

I'd actually be more interested in a more granular break down then by state. For example is the high level of violence in Louisiana or Nevada spread evenly through out those states, or is it heavily focused in specific areas?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:04 pm

FFS, correlation does not equal causation, people!
I suppose it is "interesting", but I'm more interested why a foron of your caliber would play fast and loose with this sort of statistical correlation garbage.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:25 pm

53 people died directly from accidents involving oil pipelines.

It is impossible to know how many died or got sick due to environmental damage associated with those pipelines.

Sure, it could be zero. It could also be hundreds of thousands.
My guess is it's somewhere in between.

Also Ned- do you really only care about a problem if it causes death?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:FFS, correlation does not equal causation, people!
I suppose it is "interesting", but I'm more interested why a foron of your caliber would play fast and loose with this sort of statistical correlation garbage.

The problem there is not really "correlation does not equal causation" (which is true, but also seems to have morphed into a general-purpose response to any statistically based argument that anyone disagrees with on the internet, though that's another story).

The problem is more specific; it's something called the "Ecological Fallacy".

Wikipedia has the mathematics:
[highly relevant but uninteresting copypasta deleted to please Arturo]

As for why I'd post that, knowing perfectly well that it's an example of a logical fallacy ... the answer to that problem is left as an exercise for the student.
Last edited by kurt_w on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government