MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker wants to sell State properties

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Walker wants to sell State properties

Postby Shorty » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Here he goes again dismantling Wisconsin. The properties could include state power and heating plants, like he wanted to do last year. I thought he claimed we had a State surplus now due to his budget. If so, why does he need to sell off State property?

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Walker- ... index.html
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker wants to sell State properties

Postby Sandi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Why hang onto property that carries debt and will accumulate more debt in the future?

Getting rid of alligators that are biting your ass sounds like a good idea to me. As we have seen in the wake of hurricane Sandy states do not run power companies well.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:04 pm

It's all about handing off public assets to the private sector. The polite term for it is looting, but I have a stunning hunch nobody is going to call out the National Guard.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:18 pm

fennel wrote:It's all about handing off public assets to the private sector. The polite term for it is looting, but I have a stunning hunch nobody is going to call out the National Guard.

Property that cost you money to keep does not qualify as an asset.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:59 pm

Sandi wrote:
fennel wrote:It's all about handing off public assets to the private sector. The polite term for it is looting, but I have a stunning hunch nobody is going to call out the National Guard.

Property that cost you money to keep does not qualify as an asset.

I'm not sure where you took your economics courses, but you should demand your money back. Do you own a home? Your home costs money to keep, and it is an asset. Likewise your car. Since you don't consider these as assets, you should be more than willing to give them to me. After all, they're just costing you money, and you can give them to me and not have to keep them up.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Donald wrote:I'm not sure where you took your economics courses, but you should demand your money back. Do you own a home? Your home costs money to keep, and it is an asset. Likewise your car. Since you don't consider these as assets, you should be more than willing to give them to me. After all, they're just costing you money, and you can give them to me and not have to keep them up.

I think you missed the point entirely Mr economics.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Looks like Sandi is parroting Zombie Ideas. Krugman had a nice discussion of them.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 pm

I think you have strayed from the topic in the interest of political gotcha. Neither Paul Krugman, nor his article has anything to do with the subject at hand.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Sandi wrote:
Donald wrote:I'm not sure where you took your economics courses, but you should demand your money back. Do you own a home? Your home costs money to keep, and it is an asset. Likewise your car. Since you don't consider these as assets, you should be more than willing to give them to me. After all, they're just costing you money, and you can give them to me and not have to keep them up.

I think you missed the point entirely Mr economics.

Oh, I see. When you get around to figuring out what your point was, let us know so we can respond appropriately. I thought it had something to do with what you wrote, but apparently what you wrote had nothing to do with the point you were making. Either you or I slipped down the rabbit hole.*

*and it wasn't me.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 am

Oh, I see. When you get around to figuring out what your point was, let us know so we can respond appropriately.

What is really amusing is that if it was Doyle or any governor with a D you would be posting about how smart he is to get rid of the properties.

Not going to get into a pissing match with you. Will leave you to your progressive circle jerk.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:02 pm

What is amusing is that if it were Doyle or any Governor with a D you'd be harping about how it's never a good idea to sell off state properties. It always turns out you need them later. Every single time.

But at least then, you'd be right.

I'll leave you to your own little world.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:45 pm

I predict "Republican Privatization." We will sell these power plants for a song, to people who will run them into the ground, and then we will have to bail them out.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 pm

While the cost of energy from the power plants goes up and up, and they find various ways to weasel out of or procrastinate putting in environmental protections.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:18 am

When the state makes highway improvements they sometimes end up with more land than they use, reselling these odd lots which then go back on the property tax rolls is a perfectly reasonable idea. Quit hating for a minute and use your head. And do you really think your electric bill would go down if the state was running all the power plants?
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:08 am

Who said all? Not me. First consider the one right here at the University, though other state schools have similar arrangements. Why is it better to privatize that? For one thing, private power companies cannot borrow at a rate as low as the university can. For another thing, the university itself is a public entity, it's the chief user of the power generated, and it's to the public benefit to keep the cost of that power down since the public is paying for it.

In addition, until the present state administration, the power plant was slated to change over to biomass fuel. This would have been a fine public demonstration of the usability of non-petroleum fuel for power generation, but was shot down for reasons we can speculate on in a different topic (or not). The current administration preferred continued use of coal.

Of course remnant lots should be sold off. The city of Madison does this regularly. Nickel and dime stuff, for the most part, and usually the only bidder is the person owning the adjacent property.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government