MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Can the Republicans be saved from obsolescence?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Can the Republicans be saved from obsolescence?

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Interesting story in the New York Times under that headline this weekend. It's accompanied by an interview with the author who, at one point, says this:

One of my young sources theorized that Republicans continued to embrace a high-school model, in which the party chiefs are the big men on campus who ridicule the computer nerds.

Boom! How dead on is that? I've seen exactly this from several conservative commentators around here. They celebrate what they perceive as the "in" crowd and target those perceived as, well, nerds. How are Madison liberals portrayed by this crowd? As granola-eating, Birkenstock-wearing hippies, the opposite of the gregarious BMOC archetype, as exemplified by guys like Tommy Thompson.

Remember how they went after Nate Silver? It had a lot more to do with him being slightly built and bespectacled than anything else.

It explains the conservatives' fixation with guys like Clint Eastwood and Toby Keith and Eric Hovde. Haven't we heard Jeff Fitzgerald talk about his high school football career more than once?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Can the Republicans be saved from obsolescence?

Postby Leroy Gates » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Better we let the "Choom Gang" run things, Mr. Joyce?
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:33 pm

I haven't finished the article but so far it looks valid and I agree wholeheartedly with the high school model theory.

But while agree that the Republicans lack tech savvy and tend towards bullying, those aren't the real problem. They aren't in lockstep any more. THAT'S their problem. They can't make their own reality any more.

When they're all following orders they can hide the clueless tech stuff and use sound bytes to pretend they aren't a cliquey little gaggle of mean high school girls.

But now the curtain's been pulled back and they can't seem to even find it, let alone pull it shut.

Edit: Leroy's a case in point. "Obama was in a clique when he was in high school so it's okay that adult Republicans are clueless, Luddite bullies today."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:46 pm

I have to admit, I'd never heard of the Choom Gang before. But my answer would be, yes, I'd rather the Choom Gang run things.

As all teens now know, geeks are cool and bullies are not. I think the GOP is starting to see the writing on the wall in this regard, and their recent answer was to give up on gay marriage. They never REALLY cared about that anyway. What they do care about, though, is wealth, and they will never abandon their quest to trickle it all upwards. If that means a softened stance towards queers and nerds, so be it.
Last edited by massimo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:58 pm

jjoyce wrote:Remember how they went after Nate Silver? It had a lot more to do with him being slightly built and bespectacled than anything else.

Also effeminate. That was a proud moment in gay baiting.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Also effeminate. That was a proud moment in gay baiting.

It's the same thinking that brought us 47% and makers vs. takers rhetoric. They're consumed with terms like "normal" and "regular" in defining us vs. them.

I don't think it's only weather and proximity to Silicon Valley that has made San Francisco the city where people go to start companies. I think it's the willingness to embrace weirdness. That's what I always felt O'Reilly's "San Francisco values" bit was about. He wasn't only suggesting that SF was home to loose morals, it was that people who live there are weird and he thought others would join him in making fun of them. It betrayed the kind of person he is, too eager to get the football players to join in with his bullying.

Those guys aren't writing as many checks as they used to these days.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:34 pm

massimo wrote:I have to admit, I'd never heard of the Choom Gang before. But my answer would be, yes, I'd rather the Choom Gang run things.

I'd heard of it but didn't know the horrible druggy details. My god. High schoolkids!

I must amend my paraphrasing of Leroy's post to "Technophobic bullies are better than a President who smoked pot when he was a kid!"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Republicans = BMOC? No.

Republicans are the Mean Girls--the icky, mean and self-indulgent students with no talent, no achievements, and a declining future. High school is the very summit of their lives. Everything from graduation day, providing they do graduate, is downhill.

Republicans lack the abilities and self-confidence of the jockocracy, whether male or female. They also have neither the creativity of the art, music and theatre cliques nor the intelligence of the debate, science or technology nerds. Lacking any talents or achievements, they have minimal self-worth, yet pretend they run the campus by bullying less fortunate students or by making snarky comments about those who are talented.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 am

Wait a minute... so you're saying that this guy is both black and a critic of President Obama? Oh, my. You better call FoxNews because this guy deserves some serious airtime. I mean, think about it. He's black and he's critical of President Obama. We need to build a statue for this guy. They need to run these clips 24-7 now that they've found someone who's both black and critical of Barack Obama. Look at him! He's totally black. And critical of Barack Obama! I mean, it's one thing to be critical of Barack Obama, but a black man? Holy cow. Well, he must be right, because he's black, and did I mention that he's critical of Barack Obama... plus he's black?

Obama is done for. Seriously. After black people see that there's a black person critical of Barack Obama, they'll totally switch to the Republican Party. How could they not? A black guy criticized Barack Obama! And it was on FoxNews!

Game over, Obama. Now even a black guy disagrees with you.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 am

Dude was black. I watched the video.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:14 am

Leroy Gates wrote:Well Donald, unlike this guy http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/02/18/dr-ben-carson-challenges-president-obamas-health-economic-policies/, you are not a brain surgeon.

No, but I have a brain.

I watched the Republican Convention, where they made sure to prop up the few blacks that remain in the party. They were hard to spot because the glare off all those bald white heads was blinding.

This was after we were graced by the primary meltdown of the "our blacks are better than their blacks" Herman Cain, candidate of the Koch Brothers. Dr. Carson is just the latest chocolate flavor of the month. Prop this guy up if you want, but the conservatives are determined to make sure no one else of his race can vote.

That's mean girl behavior, by the way. You've got a new pet minority and you think that means you can bully (take away the rights of) everyone else who happens to be a minority.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 am

Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Donald » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 am

The guy with the crown and no clothes looks like Herman Cain.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 am

jjoyce wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Also effeminate. That was a proud moment in gay baiting.

It's the same thinking that brought us 47% and makers vs. takers rhetoric. They're consumed with terms like "normal" and "regular" in defining us vs. them.

The original post has been scrubbed of the gay baiting:

"Note: This article has been edited to remove a paragraph that the author believes was inappropriate and has apologized for, and therefore has removed it."
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government