MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker's health plan will cost $250 million

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Walker's health plan will cost $250 million

Postby Beaver » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm

The way I understand it, instead of receiving billions of federal dollars for healthcare, Walker's plan will cost the State $250 million. Sounds bad to me. This idiot is doing a lot damage to the State. Even Republican Gov. Jan Brewer was smart enough to accept the Federal plan and money.

Gov.’s plan to cost state
http://badgerherald.com/news/2013/02/18 ... SQu_vKENdl

"Gov. Scott Walker’s health care plan would cost taxpayers about $250 million more than a full Medicaid expansion would, according to a nonpartisan analysis released Friday. The Legislative Fiscal Bureau’s analysis showed the state would pay $320.3 million more by 2020 under Walker’s plan, compared to $66.7 million more under a full expansion of Medicaid that Democrats seek and a savings of $164.2 million under a third route, which is seen as a middle ground between the two plans...
By turning down the full Medicaid expansion, Walker also declined additional federal funds. The federal government would have paid 100 percent of the expansion’s costs until 2016, a rate which would gradually decrease to its permanent rate of 90 percent in 2020."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker's health plan will cost $250 million

Postby Huckleby » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:00 pm

That article points out the obvious, immediate cost problem with WalkerCare - we're turning down huge Fed subsidies. Also, if you look at bigger spending picture, private insurance is more expensive than medicaid. The costs and advantages of the exchange vrs. medicaid were carefully calibrated in Obamacare, the ACA never intended the exchange to serve the needs of somebody making $13,000.

The great irony is that Walker's decision last November to not even partner with the Feds in designing the exchange shows that he wishes for the exchange to fail. Now he announces that the exchange is the way to go, and he claims credit for (unrealistic) projected outcomes.

Walker's rough justice for the working poor is not going to stick. Within a few years people will figure out that WalkerCare is impractical and not serving the public good. The important challenge is to assign accountability. Minnesota next door is implementing Obamacare exactly as intended - with the state customizing the exchange for local conditions, and medicaid providing low cost, efficient, bare-bones service for low income people. It will be critical to monitor, compare and contrast the costs and outcomes of Obamacare in Minnesota with WalkerCare in WI.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:46 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/2 ... 28187.html

Rick Scott has agreed to medicaid expansion in Florida.

This is fantastic news, a lot of uninsured working poor in Florida.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 pm

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:31 pm

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... n_oba.html

I've reading some articles about PA governor Tom Corbett, the other major northern medicaid holdout. Corbett has left the door open to changing his mind, which I am thankful for. I've googled many Pennsylvania editorials dumping on him, zero supporters, so I am cautiously optimistic that he will see the light.

Corbett made the "woodwork" argument against expanding medicaid that leaves my draw dropped. The notion is that all the publicity over medicaid will increase costs by causing people eligible for health care benefits to "come out of the woodwork."

Are right wingers actually evil? They see no moral or economic cost in a policy of ignorance as a means to keep people uninsured? Poor people showing up at emergency rooms without health insurance is a problem, not a desirable state.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Throughout the United States, the indigent and uninsured now get expensive emergency health care courtesy of state, county and local treasuries, as well as hospital corporations that have to charge more to everyone else as a result. Florida’s hospitals spent $2.8 billion on the uninsured in 2011, and the power of their lobbyists were a major reason why Mr. Scott changed his mind.

all quotes from the NYT editorial today:
http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/201 ... eality/?hp

The NYT's editorial position is that the financial foolishness of not participating in the federal program (Scott Walker's decision) is so obvious and extreme eventually all the states will come on board.

The 13 Republican governors who have refused the expansion know full well that they are giving away billions of dollars, hurting their own low-income residents, and forcing taxpayers to subsidize Medicaid programs in other states but not their own. Yet they are trapped by their years of furious opposition, issuing alarmist statements like this one, from Rick Perry of Texas: “To expand this program is not unlike adding a thousand people to the Titanic.”

Mr. Perry may never see the light himself, but some day one of his successors will be unable to resist the $100 billion on offer for Texas.

I wish I was that optimistic this self-destructive craziness will pass anytime soon in Wisconsin. It's unimaginable our own hospital corporations haven't tried to talk to Walker, but his astounding stubbornness and arrogance have locked them out of the planning.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Tammy Baldwin: Scott Walker 'Driven By Politics' In Rejecting Medicaid Expansion

Here are the pretax incomes that a family of three is allowed to make and qualify for medicaid in the harsh states. The people beneath these thresholds are the "truly needy" in the conservative lexicon. The color indicates party of the governor.

Kansas $4,963
Pennsylvania $4,963
Virginia $4,773
Nevada $4,773
Mississippi $4,582
Idaho $4,009
Florida $3,818
Missouri $3,627
Indiana $3,627
West Virgina $3,054
Arkansas $2,481
Texas $2,290
Louisiana $2,099
Alabama $2,100
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:28 pm

After Walker's 2010 election, his handlers probably didn't trust him to cope with the PPACA all on his own. It was too complicated to just rubber-stamp some ALEC bills. They needed a top shelf professional to make sure we don't actually Protect Patients or make Care Affordable.

Someone who said this:
Dennis Smith, of the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, calls the individual mandate "an earth-shaking" issue.

That would be the same Heritage that invented the individual mandate.

Thanks to Smith,
You don't get life-saving, science-driven smoking cessation, diabetes prevention and anti-obesity efforts.

You get ideology.

Ideology like this:
“Being uninsured does not mean an individual is in poor health.”

Now that his work here is done:
Dennis Smith, secretary of the state Department of Health Services, is resigning to take a job with a law firm in Washington, D.C.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... z2LptMZmcP

he's off to collect his no-doubt very lucrative reward:
Starting March 1, he will be on the health policy team of McKenna Long and Aldridge law firm.

Congratulations, asshole. I'm sure the working poor are overjoyed at being 'empowered to control their own destiny'.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Good riddance.

I love how the quality of Walker's appointments and associates becomes more apparent as his term continues.

I still cannot figure out why the Heritage types don't jump up and crow about how the US has adopted nearly their entire healthcare policy wholesale, but maybe that's just me. Obviously I'm too dim to see the ongoing benefit of putting hate for Obama ahead of actual issues.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/nyreg ... nment.html

Christie is accepting medicaid expansion in New Jersey. This is important victory! It's critical that the northern governors, and some of the more pragmatic western states adopt medicaid expansion. Pennsylvania is still in play. The southern states, especially Texas, may take years, but at least then it will be clear that the refusal to accept medicaid is irrational and coming from the hard right.

http://www.twincities.com/politics/ci_2 ... icaid-deal

Jon Erpenbach is talking like some sort of deal is still possible in WI. But why is Erpenbach mouthing-off to the press and exposing his potential Republican partners to pressure?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm

snoqueen wrote: I still cannot figure out why the Heritage types don't jump up and crow about how the US has adopted nearly their entire healthcare policy wholesale

The Heritage Foundation is no longer a respected, conservative think tank. They are now a Koch Brothers mouthpiece, with Tea Party Champ Jim DeMint at the helm. I don't know the details, but I read somewhere that a lot of their academic people have fled in horror the past 5 years.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government