MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

School board race heated already

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

School board race heated already

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 am

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=39134

Mertz:

"Sarah Manski attended her first school board meeting in December. I consider her a politician who claims leadership."

Manski:

"It's one thing to be a blogger and a critic. It's quite another to be a leader."

In the State Journal's story, she calls Mertz's comments sexist.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: School board race heated already

Postby O.J. » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:14 am

If I see one more thread about this damn school board race, I'm not voting.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Oh boy. It IS that time of year! I've known TJ Mertz for close to a decade via my personal involvement in MMSD issues. If he is a sexist, then Jeffrey Dahmer was a vegan. For better or for worse, Mertz knows more about the inner workings of the MMSD and School Board than anyone in this town. Manksi doesn't come close to any level of knowledge; however, she does have a name and some powerful politicos backing her. This will be an interesting race pitting the establishment candidate (Manski) against the insurgent (Mertz). I got 2 Manski robocalls this past week. I've never gotten a robocall for a School Board race before, so she must have some money behind her as well. I would really like to hear these two debate the issues and I hope everyone pays attention and votes.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34 pm

I only read what was quoted, not the link. How in the world does pointing out when someone first attended a meeting have a gender component?

Both quoted comments seemed like pretty pointless insults. Neither one thinks the other one is a leader. Noted.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 pm

I wonder how parents of kids in MMSD schools, particularly those who are unfortunate enough to be sending their kids to under-performing schools, are greeting the sniping. Must be a great comfort to them, huh?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 pm

jjoyce wrote:I wonder how parents of kids in MMSD schools, particularly those who are unfortunate enough to be sending their kids to under-performing schools, are greeting the sniping. Must be a great comfort to them, huh?

Huh is right. I'll bet many of those parents - at least the performing parents who want their children to perform - will be taking a closer look at alternative schools that do perfom (for example, Catholic schools). And for those parents, Governor Walker's school choice expansion initiative will give them real comfort.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Does it bother you that taxpayer money will be spent for sectarian religious instruction?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:29 pm

The actual solution is that families simply move to the suburbs. Where would one send his or her kids with a voucher around here? Catholic schools? Which ones? They likely wouldn't be able to accommodate many, if any, vouchers.

Madison isn't Milwaukee. Vouchers aren't a one-size-fits-all solution, particularly in an area where simply moving to Sun Prairie or Verona or McFarland is so easy.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Does it bother you that taxpayer money will be spent for sectarian religious instruction?

I think this is a problem for only a very few, unless you're having a Constitutional debate.

If my kid went to a school with overcrowded classrooms and wasn't getting the attention he or she needed for whatever reason, I wouldn't hesitate sending him to a Catholic school if I could for free. Would you? Would you put up with a crappy classroom just because you didn't want your kid to take a half-hour of Bible study each day? I don't know many parents who would in a similar situation.

But like I say above, I don't think the Catholic schools around here have the room or the wherewithal to take on a lot of students, state aid or no. So if the solution at that point is building and establishing for-profit private schools, well I'm not sure you're going to find many that are any good at all.

If Walker was serious about education, he'd allow public school districts to apply for grants to fund innovative solutions like charter schools or the AVID/TOPS program, which has been effective but needs more money to expand at a quicker pace. But that's not a satisfactory solution to the people who write him checks. Like Meade.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:45 pm

jjoyce wrote:The actual solution is that families simply move to the suburbs. Where would one send his or her kids with a voucher around here? Catholic schools? Which ones? They likely wouldn't be able to accommodate many, if any, vouchers.

Madison isn't Milwaukee. Vouchers aren't a one-size-fits-all solution, particularly in an area where simply moving to Sun Prairie or Verona or McFarland is so easy.

You think it's any more difficult for families to move out of Milwaukee into Wauwatosa, Greenfield or one of the many other suburbs and put their kids in public schools there?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Gee whiz, Jason, all the sudden it seems like you give a flying fuck about schools. Seems like only yesterday you couldn't be bothered to vote for a candidate for school board.

Oh, right, it WAS only yesterday...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:You think it's any more difficult for families to move out of Milwaukee into Wauwatosa, Greenfield or one of the many other suburbs and put their kids in public schools there?

Yes, I do.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Gee whiz, Jason, all the sudden it seems like you give a flying fuck about schools. Seems like only yesterday you couldn't be bothered to vote for a candidate for school board.

I don't see how voting yesterday is the only outlet for caring about schools. I'm not even convinced that the school board is actually equipped to improve the schools. They could barely hire a superintendent, which is maybe the most straightforward duty that body is charged with.

Not all problems are solved by politics. Fewer and fewer all the time, I'd say.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:58 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Does it bother you that taxpayer money will be spent for sectarian religious instruction?

I think this is a problem for only a very few, unless you're having a Constitutional debate.

Only if you think the separate of Church and State is an obscure, esoteric debate.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:You think it's any more difficult for families to move out of Milwaukee into Wauwatosa, Greenfield or one of the many other suburbs and put their kids in public schools there?

Yes, I do.

Having lived in both cities, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Most with the means have already moved out of the City of Milwaukee. Having the means will be the same restraint for moving out of Madison.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government