MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 pm

The same people who brought you Sarah Manski are also bringing you Dean Loumos in the other lower profile school board race.

The people who were behind Manski-Mayor Soglin, County Clerk Scott McDonell, MTI executive Director John Mathews-are the exact same people who are pushing Dean Loumos, even though the other candidate in the race, Wayne Strong has demonstrated that he has had a much greater involvement with school issues and youth and would bring a broader perspective to the school board. Wayne is also a progressive from the African American community.

What more could one ask for in a candidate for the Madison School board than Wayne Strong?

Don't expect a peep from white progressive Madison. Wayne Strong is not considered part of the club.
Last edited by Westsidegal on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westsidegal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:29 pm

You can add State Rep. Terese Berceau to the list.
Westsidegal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Also, Ben and Sarah Manski are big Loumos supporters. Though I suspect those names will now be scrubbed.
Westsidegal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby MarcoPolo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Guilt by association. Instead of advocating for Wayne in a positive way, you seek to bring down Dean because of things he has nothing to do with. It is shame that Wayne's contributions to the community will be overshadowed by Madison's new favorite game, race-baiting.
MarcoPolo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 pm

I have never personally met Dean. I have seen him preform poorly in candidate forums. Everyone I know who knows Dean says he is a very nice though slightly goofy guy.

Please answer why most of progressive white Madison got behind Loumos and did not even give Wayne Strong a chance?
Westsidegal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby david cohen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:51 pm

excellent point Marco. The only people who deserves any negatives from the Sarah Manski debacle are the Manskis themselves. Let's judge the candidates in all three of the school board races on their own merits and ideas. Race baiting works both ways and neither is acceptable.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Oh,

If you point out an uncomfortable truth you get hit with the "race baiting" charge.

Sorry, but been there, done that.
Westsidegal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby MarcoPolo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Westsidegal wrote:I have never personally met Dean. I have seen him preform poorly in candidate forums. Everyone I know who knows Dean says he is a very nice though slightly goofy guy.

Please answer why most of progressive white Madison got behind Loumos and did not even give Wayne Strong a chance?


Maybe because they already knew him from his work with Housing Initiatives for the last 20 years? Sometimes endorsements are ideological, sometimes because you dislike to other candidate, sometimes because you had a beer with them.

Would it be appropriate for me to ask why black Madison got behind Wayne and did not even give Dean Loumos a chance? Of course not because that is ridiculous.
MarcoPolo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby Westsidegal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:08 pm

MarcoPolo wrote:Would it be appropriate for me to ask why black Madison got behind Wayne and did not even give Dean Loumos a chance?

Yes it would be appropriate. If you were Rush Limbaugh.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

The African American community is supporting Wayne Strong because he is the better candidate. The white progressive community is supporting Dean Loumos because he is the guy they have a beer with and feel they can trust.
Westsidegal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby MarcoPolo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Westsidegal wrote:
MarcoPolo wrote:Would it be appropriate for me to ask why black Madison got behind Wayne and did not even give Dean Loumos a chance?

Yes it would be appropriate. If you were Rush Limbaugh.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

The African American community is supporting Wayne Strong because he is the better candidate. The white progressive community is supporting Dean Loumos because he is the guy they have a beer with and feel that they can trust.


Better to whom? It is up to each individual voter to decide who is best, and act upon that feeling.
MarcoPolo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby SlayerDave » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:12 pm

The racial aspect of this issue doesn't strike me as particularly salient, at least for the moment. So in that respect, I disagree with westsidegal.

At the same time, it's nuts to say that
The only people who deserves any negatives from the Sarah Manski debacle are the Manskis themselves.


If a local politician looked at the candidates in the race and concluded that Manski was the best, most committed candidate, you bet that makes me think less of them. Why shouldn't it?
SlayerDave
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby david cohen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Dave, perhaps because they had no clue she was actually a flippant flakey liar? Now, if they knew there was a chance she would bail on them, then I'm with you.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby SlayerDave » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:36 pm

david cohen wrote:Dave, perhaps because they had no clue she was actually a flippant flakey liar?


Oh, I agree on that point. I'm not suggesting something as sinister as the local intelligentsia conspiring to push a dumbass candidate. Edit: Had noticed your post before you added another sentence.

What I am saying though is that if one vouches for a person, in a political context or not, and then that person turns out to be sketchy, it is entirely fair to then ask questions about the endorsers judgment.

I think Manski's endorsers would have done well to dig a bit deeper. Seems to me she included the proper buzzwords to meet the litmus test, and voila, endorsement.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby rabble » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:43 pm

david cohen wrote:Dave, perhaps because they had no clue she was actually a flippant flakey liar? Now, if they knew there was a chance she would bail on them, then I'm with you.

Yeah, it all hinges on that.

I have a hard time believing that Marj Passman would first, take it upon herself to tell Sarah that it would be fine if she gave up her seat because they could just appoint somebody and second, never mention that little tidbit to any of Sarah's supporters. Why on earth would she keep that to herself?

If Marj has a history of second guessing all of her colleagues I guess that might be different story but it seems like that sort of habit would have generated a little noise by now.

I've watched so many people flimflam entire cities, hell even a whole country, and get away with it for years, that I have no trouble believing Sarah could get away with it for the time she did. Who looks at a candidate and wonders if she'll be quitting soon because her husband's applying to grad school on the coast? That might be on the questionnaire from now on, but come on. NOBODY pulls shit like that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6281
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The same people who brought you Sarah Manski...

Postby Ed Hughes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:17 pm

I think Westsidegal is spot on.

The way things appear is that Loumos is just another candidate whose qualifications are measured more by opposition to Walker rather than actual involvement in our schools who is pushed by John Matthews and Paul Soglin to run for School Board and whose success would end up denying another candidate of color.

Loumos isn’t helped by pages like this: http://www.greenpartywatch.org/2013/02/ ... or-us-all/

Or by his pre-primary financial disclosure form, found here, http://www.cityofmadison.com/election/c ... SB2013.cfm, which shows a donation from none other than Sarah Manski, plus other persons of interest.

Or his campaign website – found here: http://deanforschools.org/– which makes no mention of the achievement gap and evidences far more concern for the welfare of the adults employed by the school district rather than the welfare of the students the district serves.

Loumos may well be a nice guy, but as both an actual candidate and as a symbol he falls short for many reasons, not the least of which is that Wayne Strong is better qualified for the Board.

And as a current School Board member, I get pretty incensed at candidates who are running to further their own career – or, God help me, to advance the agenda of the national Green Party -- or to express their opposition to Scott Walker or anything other than to help us address the substantial challenges we face in preparing all our students for the world they’ll inherit.
Ed Hughes
Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar