MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Best Manski comment of the day

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby Meade » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Ask Stu. It's his phrase.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby lukpac » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Meade wrote:Ask Stu. It's his phrase.


No, I asked you.

What "full story"?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby Meade » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:50 pm

My guess is that by "the full story" Stu is referring to the full story of how the Dem-Prog machine functions. On endorsements, ideological code, winks, nods, and inside promises. Go ahead, dear, you can withdraw from the race after the election when your ideological comrades will have the power of appointment. No one needs to know.

But... but what about the children?

The who?

The school children. Especially the children of color, the children who are underperfoming, the children destined to failure and prison.

Oh, don't worry about them, dear. Their parents will continue to vote for us. We're the only game in town.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby lukpac » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

I guess Larry is talking to himself again.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby Average Joe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:16 pm

This whole thing is nothing but one last ego-laden Manski money shot on the face of Madison progressives. Thanks for using our city to ladder climb, Ben and Sarah...don't let the door hit your asses on the way out of town. Scum.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby MarcoPolo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Meade wrote:My guess is that by "the full story" Stu is referring to the full story of how the Dem-Prog machine functions. On endorsements, ideological code, winks, nods, and inside promises. Go ahead, dear, you can withdraw from the race after the election when your ideological comrades will have the power of appointment. No one needs to know.

But... but what about the children?

The who?

The school children. Especially the children of color, the children who are underperfoming, the children destined to failure and prison.

Oh, don't worry about them, dear. Their parents will continue to vote for us. We're the only game in town.


Since the Board would be an even number, only if one assumes the person who wins in seat 3 would vote a certain way would this strange scenario even be possible.
MarcoPolo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby bdog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:26 pm

lukpac wrote:
Meade wrote:Ask Stu. It's his phrase.


No, I asked you.

What "full story"?

Cleavage.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:53 pm

For me, "full story" means knowing (a) dates Ben got UC acceptance and UW rejection; (b) identity of all who knew Ben was applying to Cal; (c) resolution of Sarah/Marg disagreement. Others may have additional questions, but these are the things I want to know.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3287
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Notwithstanding this current controversy, I think Joe's comments above are unfair and offensive.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3287
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby Meade » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Notwithstanding this current controversy, I think Joe's comments above are unfair and offensive.

I completely agree.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby Meade » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:For me, "full story" means knowing (a) dates Ben got UC acceptance and UW rejection; (b) identity of all who knew Ben was applying to Cal; (c) resolution of Sarah/Marg disagreement. Others may have additional questions, but these are the things I want to know.

The disinfectant of sunshine. An excellent start.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby rabble » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:For me, "full story" means knowing (a) dates Ben got UC acceptance and UW rejection; (b) identity of all who knew Ben was applying to Cal; (c) resolution of Sarah/Marg disagreement. Others may have additional questions, but these are the things I want to know.

Getting (a) would be fairly straightforward since those dates are a matter of record, assuming someone gave permission. (I consider (a) irrelevant since the existence of the application should have kept her from running but that's a discussion point.)

How one could reliably obtain (b) and (c) are a mystery to me. The only people who could give us both of those are the people who are already under question.

Wouldn't the investigation pretty much consist of going back to all of them and saying "Are you sure?"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6552
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 pm

So Sarah had a chance to further her career and ambitions by being a school board member and taking it further. Ben was accepted to grad school and they chose HIS path. Why couldn't he have conceded and stayed here? Joe's comments were 100% appropriate.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5175
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Or they could have lived separately for the duration of the school board term (assuming Sarah was elected, which hadn't even happened yet). To do so is not unheard-of among professional couples. In fact to assume the woman will always move in response to the man's opportunities is unfair to both men and women.

Joe's comment was vulgar, but its meaning was defensible except for the notion all Madison progressives are made to look bad by the behavior of one or two. Before anyone in political life tries that argument they'd better be sure there's plenty of plywood over the windows of their glass houses first.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11856
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Best Manski comment of the day

Postby Average Joe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:59 pm

snoqueen wrote:
Joe's comment was vulgar, but its meaning was defensible except for the notion all Madison progressives are made to look bad by the behavior of one or two. Before anyone in political life tries that argument they'd better be sure there's plenty of plywood over the windows of their glass houses first.


I didn't mean to offend anyone except Ben and Sarah Manski. They discredited Madison progressives by the selfish nature of their actions. Yes, I can be a little blunt at times but the fact remains that they have used Madison and it's progressive politics as a stepping stone and all we have left to show for it is a dusty shoe mark on our face. I voted for Ben against Hulsey and I voted for Sarah on Tuesday. I'm pissed because I feel used, so forgive me for feeling like an object that was used to satisfy their egos with no real commitment to our community.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar