MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Bourdain, Zimmern, and Fieri

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Bourdain, Zimmern, and Fieri

Postby john_titor » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:56 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Kimball, Ming, Pepin. That's my trio of TV food guys. And the woman on New Scandinavian Cooking.

Kimball and Ming I don't know, Pepin had killer knife skills.

Adam Powell wrote:CREATE is excellent.

I will look for CREATE.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Ouch.

Is this how you roll in Flavor Town?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Saw that. It is a Times Square restaurant and a celebrity one at that. What did the reviewer expect? The food doesn't have to be good. Their targeted clientele will, for the most part, eat one meal there and go back to wherever it is they call home. Looking at the menu, I would say Red Robin/Chili~esque. He does get 23 bucks for 1992's Cajun Chix Alfredo. I can't imagine the rent on Times Square.

Bourdain needs to and will go away. Zimmern. Hmmm Zimmern.

Will mainstream awareness/appreciation of food die, as yet another fad? Or has the bar been permanently raised? I present to you the recipe for sketti:

Catsup
Butter
Noodles.

http://www.guysamerican.com/menu/
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12 pm

The grating bit, for me, is that Fieri's whole schtick is "hey, look, here's some greasy mom-n-pop that makes a great burger! It's awesome becasue the owners are involved, the food is simple, and it's cheap!"

So he goes and opens a mediocre chain restaurant that he's abrely involved in, with his name and "image" plastered all over it, selling terrible burgers for like $19.

Way to sell out what little credibility you had.

Oh and then go on national TV and complain that the reviewer was "mean" and that "he can't expect to get everything right within just a few months of opening." Dude, if he pegged you a star because his salad order was messed up, sure, but when *everything* goes wrong, you can't attribute that to opening-night unevenness.

Also anyone who's pushing 50 and has blond tips and sunglasses on the back of his head might as well have "douchehammer" tattooed on his forehead as well.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Guy failed to register:

http://guysamericankitchenandbar.com/

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: GUYSAMERICANKITCHENANDBAR.COM
Created on: 19-Feb-13
Expires on: 19-Feb-14
Last Updated on: 19-Feb-13

Registrant:
Bryan Mytko
609 Wyngate Dr. West
Valley Stream, New York 11580
United States

Spent two seconds watching "The Taste". Anthony was passed a beer. Looked dumb. Moved on.

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-taste/ ... urdain-Bio

I don't watch food shows now.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am

That fake Fieri menu is funny, but that's no thanks to Mytko. He lifted every single joke from other, funnier people on Twitter.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertai ... len/62338/
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 pm

john_titor wrote:After about five years of ignoring his shows based on his look alone, I finally broke down and watched Diners Drive-Ins and Dives. He seems like a nice person. A top show when I am hungry.

I find Fieri pretty obnoxious, but I like DD&D in spite of him. It feels a bit like a hyped up version of Feasting on Asphalt, in series form, without the gluttony of Man vs. Food.

Guy Fieri = Poochie?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Zimmern's Bizarre Foods: America series will air its Wisconsin episode tonight. Tory Miller shows up, among other Wisconsin food peoples. For those of you without cable (or an interest in watching), there will be commentary from yours truly posted in the Daily section tomorrow.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Hate Bourdain.

Hate Fieri.

Might like a 'reality tv show' where the two of them have to pick where to go to dinner together.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Again, people, it's Jacques Pepin. His "Fast Food My Way" is mesmerizing, educational, inspirational and mesmerizing. It's everything that the cable celebrity chef shows are not.

He never uses truffle oil. Or kobe beef.

And he reminds us to cook with our families, which is almost always a great idea.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

jjoyce wrote:Again, people, it's Jacques Pepin. His "Fast Food My Way" is mesmerizing, educational, inspirational and mesmerizing. It's everything that the cable celebrity chef shows are not.

He never uses truffle oil. Or kobe beef.

And he reminds us to cook with our families, which is almost always a great idea.

Watched part of the video, but couldn't focus due to lack of blond highlights / clothes with flame detail. He needs more FLAIR.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:59 pm

"Pépin, the second of three sons, was born in 1935 in Bourg-en-Bresse, near Lyon in France.[1] After World War II, his parents, Jeanne and Jean-Victor Pépin, owned the restaurant, Le Pelican, where Pépin worked and later became known for his love for food.[1] He went on to work in Paris, training under Lucien Diat at the Plaza Athénée. From 1956 to 1958, Pépin was the personal chef to three French heads of state, including Charles de Gaulle. In 1959 Pépin came to the United States to work at the restaurant Le Pavillon. Eight months later, in 1961, Howard Johnson, a regular Le Pavillon customer, hired Pépin to work alongside fellow Frenchman Pierre Franey to develop food lines for his chain of Howard Johnson's restaurants, while Pépin was attending Columbia University. Pépin received his B.A. degree from Columbia’s School of General Studies in 1970 and went on to earn a master’s degree in French literature at Columbia in 1972.[2][3]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_P%C3%A9pin

"Anthony Bourdain was born in New York City, to Gladys and Pierre Bourdain (d. 1987).[4] He grew up in Leonia, New Jersey, and attended the Dwight-Englewood School.[5] Bourdain's paternal grandparents were French; his paternal grandfather emigrated from Arcachon to New York following World War I.[6] Bourdain's mother worked for The New York Times as a staff editor.[7] Bourdain graduated from Englewood School for Boys in 1973[8] and attended Vassar College before dropping out after two years; he graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in 1978."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Bourdain

"Although Fieri has no training as a chef, he worked at restaurants during high school and then managed and owned restaurants.[5] Fieri attended the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Hotel Management in 1990.[6] After graduation, he went to work for Stouffer's, developing restaurant concepts in Southern California[4] and managing their flagship restaurant in Long Beach, California. After three years in southern California, he became District Manager of Louise's Trattoria, managing six locations along with recruiting and training for the restaurants.

In the fall of 1996, Fieri and business partner Steve Gruber opened Johnny Garlic's, a California Pasta Grill in Santa Rosa, California.[7] A second location opened in Windsor in 1999, a third in Petaluma in 2000 or 2001 (since closed), and a fourth in Roseville in late 2008.[7] Subsequently they developed Tex Wasabi's (barbecue and sushi) in 2003 in Santa Rosa, adding a second location in Sacramento's Arden-Arcade area in 2007.[7] An additional Johnny Garlic's was opened in Dublin, California, in 2011. His first New York City restaurant, Guy's American Kitchen and Bar, opened to a scathing New York Times review in 2012"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fieri

"Zimmern was born and raised in New York City,[2] to a Jewish family.[3] He began his formal culinary training at the age of 14. He attended the Dalton School and graduated from Vassar College. Contributing to many of New York’s finest restaurants as either executive chef or general manager, he has also lectured on restaurant management and design at The New School for Social Research.

Owing to severe drug and alcohol addiction, Zimmern was homeless for about one year.[4] During this period, he survived by stealing purses from cafes and selling the contents.[4] In 1992 Zimmern moved to Minnesota, where he checked into the Hazelden Treatment Center for drug and alcohol addiction treatment, where he now volunteers.[5] He later gained wide acclaim during his four and a half year tenure as executive chef of Café Un Deux Trois in Minneapolis's Foshay Tower.[6] His menus received the highest ratings from the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Minnesota Monthly, and Mpls.St.Paul Magazine, as well as national publications.[citation needed] Zimmern left the daily restaurant operations in 1997.

Zimmern resides in Edina, Minnesota, with his wife and their son, Noah."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Zimmern

Is it bad form to copy and paste this much? Do I need to summarize? Just post links? Is this a copyright issue? I ask to learn.

Go get 'em TBP!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:43 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Zimmern's Bizarre Foods: America series will air its Wisconsin episode tonight. Tory Miller shows up, among other Wisconsin food peoples. For those of you without cable (or an interest in watching), there will be commentary from yours truly posted in the Daily section tomorrow.

Just read your review. It explains why I saw a photo of Zimmern with the owner at Ha Long Bay.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 pm

I've seen Zimmern around the TC. Seems like a nice enough guy. Taller in person than on TV.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues