MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Popewatch '13

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Popewatch '13

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:19 am

Daaaaaaaaaaaang. Now I really want one of those. It would look great alongside my Spiro Agnew watch. Probably keeps better time too (Spiro, unsurprisingly, runs slow).
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:53 am

Might this have something to do with the pope's resignation?

AUSTRALIA'S Cardinal George Pell yesterday called on the Vatican press office to respond "in some constructive way" to reports of an internal investigation by three senior cardinals that told Pope Benedict XVI about an insidious web of blackmail, corruption and homosexual sex inside the Vatican.

Italy's La Repubblica newspaper linked Benedict's resignation with a top secret 300-page dossier prepared by Spanish Cardinal Julian Herranz, Slovak Cardinal Jozef Tomko and Italian Cardinal Salvatore De Giorgi into the "Vatileaks" affair, which saw the Pope's former butler, Paolo Gabriele, arrested and jailed for stealing and leaking papal documents.

None of the three cardinals will take part in the conclave because they are over 80 years of age, but they are expected to brief those voting about their findings.

According to La Repubblica, the report was "an exact map of the mischief and the bad fish" inside the Holy See, with the cardinals finding that one faction of Vatican officials, "united by sexual orientation", had been subject to "external influence" from laymen with whom they had links of a "worldly nature", which the paper said was a reference to blackmail.

It quoted a source close to the cardinals as saying that everything centred on "non-observance of the sixth and seventh commandments", which forbid adultery (included homosexual sex) and stealing. The report also mentioned numerous venues in and around Rome where clandestine encounters took place, including a sauna, a beauty parlour and a university residence.

I have a feeling that he doesn't want to deal with the scandal and wants to pass it to the next guy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Or should that be 'Papal Sea?'

Postby Marvell » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:06 am

"an exact map of the mischief and the bad fish"

Well, thank heaven for that.

Avoid the bad fish in the Vatican City. Nothing ruins a visit to the Papal See like spasmodically-clenching bowels.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:16 am

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:29 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/did-cross-dressin ... itics.html

When Yahoo picks it up, you know it's all over.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Another internet rumor:

Pope received news of his warrant of arrest before resignation
http://notocbcp.weebly.com/2/post/2013/ ... ation.html

"On February 4, a week before Pope Benedict XVI's resignation, Vatican allegedly received a note from an undisclosed European government that stated that there are plans to issue a warrant for the Pope's arrest. Addicting Info reports...With his resignation announced, the former pope will have a meeting with the Italian President, Giorgio Napolitano on February 23 to beg for immunity against prosecution for allegations of child rape."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:06 am

The pope doesn't like these news stories.

Vatican Furious Over ‘False’ News Reports
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Shorty wrote:Another internet rumor:

Pope received news of his warrant of arrest before resignation
http://notocbcp.weebly.com/2/post/2013/ ... ation.html

"On February 4, a week before Pope Benedict XVI's resignation, Vatican allegedly received a note from an undisclosed European government that stated that there are plans to issue a warrant for the Pope's arrest. Addicting Info reports...With his resignation announced, the former pope will have a meeting with the Italian President, Giorgio Napolitano on February 23 to beg for immunity against prosecution for allegations of child rape."

As long as he doesn't leave Vatican grounds there is nothing they can do because it is sovereign territory.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:More scandal for the new pope to deal with: Britain's most senior Catholic cleric contests allegations of 'inappropriate behavior'

The cardinal quit. That didn't take long.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 pm

Brilliant. I think I'll go rewrite my boilerplate cover letter.

Application for the position of Pope.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 am

Madcity Expat wrote:Brilliant. I think I'll go rewrite my boilerplate cover letter.

Application for the position of Pope.

I look forward to Pope Insanistis Civitatem I. What will your first act be -- moving the Vatican to M'waukee?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:40 pm

OK, a couple of key new things.

First, it seems that the plan to name Ratzinger as "Pope Emeritus" has run into some legal difficulties, as a rapper who goes by that name (copyright registered) objects. As the Borowitz story reports, "Mr. Emeritus" thinks it is a clear case of infringement.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ... wsuit.html

And then, of course, we finally have the chance to enter our thoughts on the Papal Bracket, which lets you suggest who will eventually win the Shoes of the Fisherman. Note that initial entries are due by March 1:

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/02/25/ ... -brackets/

You gotta love the Sweet Sistine Bracketology! (although the bracket itself seems to have faded away). Check the NPR story here:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... -challenge

Ite, Missa Est.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby Madcity Expat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:59 pm

kurt_w wrote:I look forward to Pope Insanistis Civitatem I. What will your first act be -- moving the Vatican to M'waukee?

My first act will be to declare that all subsequent papal conclaves be reorganized around the production of a new reality TV show - Survivor: Vatican.

We would have to introduce roving video teams to the Sistine Chapel and divide the Congregation of Cardinals into two tribes. Then, of course, they'll compete in a series Holy Challenges and thereafter convene Holy Tribal Councils (or, I suppose, Sanctus Tribuumve Concilium) to vote each other off the Vatican. We can still burn the ballots - black smoke will mean that someone is voted off - and white smoke when one Cardinal is chosen as sole survivor (Una Superstes?).

Still a working idea: Any ideas for Holy Challenges? What should we call the tribes?

I also think I will decree that fish consumed during lent must be anchovies or lutefisk.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines