MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Time for MTI's John Matthews to retire?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Time for MTI's John Matthews to retire?

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:33 am

John Matthews has been Madison Teachers Inc. executive director since the 1960s. Yes I wrote the 1960s.

It seems that every year he makes some embarrassing mistake during the school board elections. Do people remember when last year he told a reporter that Mary Burke was not qualified because she was one of the 1% (technically so is he) and she never had children?

This year he recruited Sarah Manski (I guess it is no big deal that SHE has never had children) to run for school board.

Is there no one else qualified to run MTI and allow Matthews to retire after forty five years in the job?

Flame away at me. But seriously!
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Re: Time for MTI's John Matthews to retire?

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 am

I think only MTI members should have a say in whether or not Matthews should remain as the executive director of their union.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 pm

MTI members do have the final say. But the rest of us can have an opinion. These are after all OUR public schools.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:These are after all OUR public schools.

And it is THEIR union.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:15 pm

This is MY post.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:29 pm

BDog, I am actually a moderate to liberal Demoract, depending on the issue. The progressive power brokers in Madison are driving me your way. That is unfortunate. We should have true progressive choices in Madison that have not been corrupted by the careerism of a select few.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Henry, you have never voiced an opinion about whether a CEO should step down from some company? How about some ball player needing to be traded from the Brewers? It is not your ball club after all.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:44 pm

BTW, I support THEIR union. I have marched for THEIR union. But I am NOW convinced that John Matthews is hurting THEIR union because people like me are questioning if it is now mostly serving the goals of John Matthews and his political cronies.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:53 pm

I assume you started this thread because of the Manski fiasco. Should others who supported her run also step down from their positions? Soglin, Pocan, etc.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Henry of course not.

But forty-five years? Come on!

There is no one else who could do the job?
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Fun fact about John Matthews:
[I]n 1968 [he] was hired as executive director of the Madison teachers union. At the time, he was in the middle of a campaign for the Montana House of Representatives, and his name remained on the primary ballot despite his withdrawal. He makes sure to mention that he won.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=22071
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:BDog, I am actually a moderate to liberal Demoract, depending on the issue. The progressive power brokers in Madison are driving me your way.

At the risk of being lucpakian, what is "MY way"?

Unions are all well and good until THEY become too powerful and then THEY get corrupt just like any other THING.

I think GUYS like Matthews and Marty Beil are anachronisms. The public doesn't like THEM. see: Scott Walker recall election.

Edited: in the spirit of the thread, went back and capped a few things.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:35 pm

bdog wrote:At the risk of being lucpakian, what is "MY way"?

I support the right to collective bargaining for ALL employees, INCLUDING public employees. I suspect you do not.

I am DISTRESSED that John Matthews, by putting his political interests ahead of MTI, is potentially undercutting support for the above. EVEN here in Madison.

I suspect this makes you GLEEFUL.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:50 pm

The problem is not with Matthews - the problem is that people pay too much attention to single issue (or single position) spokesmen. When the NRA, or the FFRF, or a CEO, or a union leader speaks, you should be able to predict what they are going to say before they open their mouth.

If I were a member of MTI, I would have a problem with Matthews' obvious conflict of interest with WPS. But since the members do not seem to care (or won't say so), and MMSD has not shown a great deal of sack in dealing with MTI, it isn't any of my concern.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:41 pm

While I was a member of MTI, I would have been completely ok with having the union dissolve, and re-form under new leadership. And I knew other teachers at East who felt the same way, who hated John Matthews so much that they refused to wear any MTI logos or carry an MTI sign during the protests. They were mostly younger or newer teachers, which shouldn't be surprising.

I still regret not standing up at new teacher orientation back in 2005, when Mathews was speaking, and asking him why the hell he thought it wasn't a conflict of interest for him to make $30k a year as a board member of WPS or whatever that insanely expensive health care plan was.

I saw the whole crackdown on teachers unions coming, back in around 2001, and I told many people about it. After my experience with Prop 13 in California when I was in public schools there, it was quite clear that if public servants and their union representatives just blithely ignore public outcry against them, then there will be a huge voter backlash against them. No, I don't think that the Walker plan is reasonable, but I do think that Matthews could have done a hell of a lot to change public opinion about teachers and their union, if he hadn't acted like an arrogant prick for years about the issue of expensive health care insurance.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government