MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Federal court to GOP: Make the computers available

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Federal court to GOP: Make the computers available

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 pm

In the redistricting lawsuit, a federal panel ruled that three computers used to develop voting maps must be made available to the plaintiffs.

"The computers are extremely likely to contain relevant and responsive materials that should have been disclosed during pretrial discovery. Moreover, Plaintiffs have established that substantial numbers of documents were not disclosed, which satisfies the court that some form of 'fraud, misrepresentation, or misconduct' likely occurred," the unanimous opinion said.

This is not a Dane County judge, by the way, but a three-judge panel.

The judicial panel consists of J.P. Stadtmueller of the Eastern District of Wisconsin, Diane P. Wood of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and Robert M. Dow Jr. of the Northern District of Illinois. Stadtmueller was appointed by Republican President Ronald Reagan; Wood was appointed by Democratic President Bill Clinton; and Dow was appointed by Republican President George W. Bush.

Perhaps the best part of the story is this paragraph discussing the work of a firm hired by the GOP legislators to help in the case.

The Legislature recently hired a new law firm, Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek, to respond to the long-simmering lawsuit, but the judges dismissed the work by that firm in Monday's opinion, writing that "the response briefs submitted were largely unhelpful and lacking in persuasive legal authority."

Daaaannnnggggg....
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Federal court to GOP: Make the computers available

Postby david cohen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 pm

When ordinary citizens seek to lie, obfuscate and otherwise deny authorities information, they get their asses threatened, prosecuted and otherwise harangued....when politicians do the same, they skate away with a smile and a wink.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 pm

If they have nothing to hide the computer info needs to come forward. Now. Don't think that's going to happen and the longer this drags on the easier it will be to destroy computer records. How long are the Feds going to sit on their hands and not act on this? And how's that Joe Doe investigation proceeding?
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Show of hands. Who believes there are still files to be found on those computers?

I know those guys are pretty technophobic but jeez. Somebody on staff knows what "format C drive" means.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:49 pm

rabble wrote:Show of hands. Who believes there are still files to be found on those computers?

I know those guys are pretty technophobic but jeez. Somebody on staff knows what "format C drive" means.

Ah, but there is formatting and then there is formatting.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 am

Talk about 'burying the lede'. Today's WSJ print edition has a brief paragraph about this in the middle of the paper. I can't even find it on their web edition.

But their big cover story is about Walker's tough talk on Doofus and Friends, Fox's premier talk show for raw stupid.

I'll just repeat this part:
which satisfies the court that some form of 'fraud, misrepresentation, or misconduct' likely occurred," the unanimous opinion said,
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 am

DCB wrote:Talk about 'burying the lede'. Today's WSJ print edition has a brief paragraph about this in the middle of the paper. I can't even find it on their web edition.

There's this, which seems to be a wire story:

http://host.madison.com/news/state-and- ... 2c5b7.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:10 pm

DCB wrote:Talk about 'burying the lede'. Today's WSJ print edition has a brief paragraph about this in the middle of the paper. I can't even find it on their web edition.

But their big cover story is about Walker's tough talk on Doofus and Friends, Fox's premier talk show for raw stupid.

which satisfies the court that some form of 'fraud, misrepresentation, or misconduct' likely occurred," the unanimous opinion said,

Wow! I can't wait to see Meade take the WSJ to task for burying this story, though I grant it seems much less important than the Manski thing.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Detritus wrote:

Wow! I can't wait to see Meade take the WSJ to task for burying this story, though I grant it seems much less important than the Manski thing.

For some strange reason, I doubt this concerns the LSM(Larry S. Meade).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm a huge opponent of fraud, misrepresentation, and misconduct wherever those acts occur.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Meade wrote:I'm a huge opponent of fraud, misrepresentation, and misconduct wherever those acts occur.

Let's just frame that for now.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:10 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
rabble wrote:Show of hands. Who believes there are still files to be found on those computers?

That's right. As someone who works in the IT industry, just cuz the drive is formatted doesn't mean the data is non-retrievable. We have ways...
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Lily wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:

That's right. As someone who works in the IT industry, just cuz the drive is formatted doesn't mean the data is non-retrievable. We have ways...

The only surefire way to make sure the data is non-retrievable is with a very high-tech and sophisticated tool known as a "hammer."
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm guessing somebody on staff knows where to find one.

Of course, another way is to just get very confused. "Yeah, I'm pretty sure these are the right computers. I'm just not very good with these fancy electronic gadget things you know."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 pm

If they do as good a job as they did setting up an invisible wireless network in the governor's office, we could be lucky and find out all kinds of disgusting and unsavory things.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government