MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Fire at Taqueria Guadalajara

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Fire at Taqueria Guadalajara

Postby LaughingGirl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 am

No real details--hope damage isn't extensive.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Fire-re ... index.html
LaughingGirl

Re: Fire at Taqueria Guadalajara

Postby Lily » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:46 pm

I think it's a family owned business. Very inexpensive Mexican food. They make great avocado tacos, the salsa and chips are good, and they offer coca-cola with real sugar. Their flan is good and if you can catch them the tamales are too. Both sell out fast. Hope they're back in business soon.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 pm

I've heard they have good food but I never go there. I don't feel safe on that part of town.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Beaver wrote:I don't feel safe on that part of town.

I really hope you're fucking kidding. Why don't you feel safe? What is it that makes you not feel safe? I may not hang around parts of town at 2am, but I sure as shit am not going to avoid a restaurant in ANY part of this town.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:13 pm

Yes, family owned and they are very nice. Food is super tasty. Among other things, they do a great job with lengua (tongue), if you eat that kind of thing. I've never felt afraid around the area either. Newer reports make the interior damage sound pretty bad. I hope they can reopen relatively quickly.
LaughingGirl

Postby Ashley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 am

Very sad. Hope they are able to re-open soon.
@Beaver, you might want to reconsider. Park St gets a bad rep simply because some non-white people live there. i don't get it
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:04 am

LaughingGirl wrote:Yes, family owned and they are very nice. Food is super tasty. Among other things, they do a great job with lengua (tongue), if you eat that kind of thing.

Agreed. I was a little hesitant the first time I ordered the tongue, but it has become a standard part of my order. I really hope they are able to get back up and running soon.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 pm

I've been there during lunchtime and the crowd is mostly made up of people who work construction, at the nearby hospitals, and the campus crowd. No reason to feel unsafe here during that time.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm

I've never eaten there and I'm sure the area safer is safer for lunch than at night time for dinner. But in general I avoid Park St as much as I can.

Ashley wrote:Park St gets a bad rep simply because some non-white people live there. i don't get it

Not simply because some non-white people live there. I'd say it gets a bad rep because a lot of poor people live there and it has a high crime rate, so the bad rep is deserved. Sorry if some of you don't like it, but if you look at crime rates in Madison I suspect Park St has one of the highest. Also, I don't like the traffic there. It's busy most of the day and the drivers seem more reckless there than most other parts of town.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Yeah, look at a crime map. The biggest hot spots for crime are Langdon St and State St. Figure that out. Meanwhile if poor little Park St and Guadalajara are such pits of crime and vice and danger, I hope you never set foot in Milwaukee. Your poor little sheltered heart would stop. Brown people and poor people everywhere!

Seriously, get a grip. Your pathetic inferences are depriving you of some excellent food.
TeachInPeace

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:53 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=o ... =0CLcBEMgT

That's a Google crime map of Madison. South Park Street looks OK to me clear down to the creek. I find the Taqueria neighborhood interesting and pleasant in the daytime -- haven't been over that way at night for a long time.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:09 am

Beaver, it's time to consider the possibility that you've been letting your opinion of the Park Street corridor be defined by stereotypes and "data" well more than a decade old...or that your conclusions are being driven by some pretty ugly prejudices.

Here's another crime map that undercuts your assumptions. http://spotcrime.com/wi/madison
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 pm

Beaver might have a point; all those taco joints on Park street are full of Spanish people......
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby Beaver » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Beaver, it's time to consider the possibility that you've been letting your opinion of the Park Street corridor be defined by stereotypes and "data" well more than a decade old...Here's another crime map that undercuts your assumptions. http://spotcrime.com/wi/madison

If that map is accurate it does show most crime happening in the downtown and UW area. And Park St doesn't look bad so I was wrong. The map was only for the last 3 months. Would be interesting to see 6 months or a year.

It is surprising because for years I heard Park St and Badger rd on South Madison had a high crime rate, and haven't there been City task forces to reduce crime there because it was so bad? Maybe they worked. Or do most people just avoid those areas at night now because it has a bad rep? That would be a way to lower the crime rate.

I still dislike the Park St traffic so would rather go to other parts of town for eating out. And I do enjoy Mexican places: La Mestiza, Pasquals, Casa de Lara, Diego's, former Frida's, etc.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Park St/Badger Road/Metro South Transfer Point are a good mile from the Taqueria stretch of Park Street. It's a whole different place.

The Taqueria area is actually equally close to campus, which is where far more crimes are shown on the map. I don't consider it part of either neighborhood in terms of people and dynamics.

Anyway, I hope they can get the little restaurant up and running again soon.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews