MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Waz up with Woodward?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Waz up with Woodward?

Postby Leroy Gates » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Stebben 84, Of course you know Obamacare's cost's have all been pushed forward and you know it isn't going to be free so why are you wasting our time?

"That's the effect of putting average people back to work, and it's got one of the best multiplier factors of any government spending. Plus we get, say, safer bridges on the interstate because we're actually maintaining them.

I like it when the government takes my money and uses it that well, personally." SnoQueen

Well then you must be thrilled with Gov. Walker’s proposed boost of $824 million to the state transportation fund.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Sandi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 pm

snoqueen wrote:You think the government is going to meet the terms of this sequester by purchasing less toilet paper? Come on.

The sequester is a penitence. About two and a half fries of a happy meal.

The sequester isn't a problem, it does, although not efficiently, what congress doesn't have the wherewithal, to do. I am extremely happy about the sequester.

If ( IF ) Obama has sense to let the department heads make the cuts in the best areas, instead of insisting that they cut the most vital areas ( as he might out of spite - as he pronounced the last few days ), it will help the economy, the recovery, and the taxpayers.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Sandi wrote:If ( IF ) Obama has sense to let the department heads make the cuts in the best areas, instead of insisting that they cut the most vital areas ( as he might out of spite - as he pronounced the last few days ), it will help the economy, the recovery, and the taxpayers.

I have a friend who spent a tour of duty in Iraq building temporary roads, except he never actually built any roads. He trained to build temporary roads, and he went to Iraq too, but when he got there all of the work was being done by Halliburton. They had some really well paid foremen and really well paid truck drivers and a gaggle of Filipinos working for peanuts, but Tim's job ended up being to stand around with a gun and look scary while our government paid private contractors obscene sums of money to do a job that he could have done for free (or at least we were already paying him to be there, so asking him to grab a shovel wouldn't have cost us any extra).

This is how your government wastes money. With sweetheart deals to campaign donors. Oh, sure, you're far more concerned about black people getting some free cheese that's practically inedible, but that's not actually where your dollars are going, at least not many of them.

So when Obama orders the Pentagon to start cancelling contracts with private companies and have our soldiers do the jobs they were trained to do, you can bet Rush Limbaugh will be screaming about the death of capitalism. And you'll scream right along with him, because if you reach too far to change the station, you lose track of your hand.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:37 am

pjbogart wrote:So when Obama orders the Pentagon to start cancelling contracts with private companies and have our soldiers do the jobs they were trained to do, you can bet Rush Limbaugh will be screaming about the death of capitalism. And you'll scream right along with him, because if you reach too far to change the station, you lose track of your hand.

On the contrary that would please me very much. Waste is waste no matter what name is attached to it.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:41 am

"That's the effect of putting average people back to work, and it's got one of the best multiplier factors of any government spending. Plus we get, say, safer bridges on the interstate because we're actually maintaining them.

I like it when the government takes my money and uses it that well, personally." SnoQueen

Well then you must be thrilled with Gov. Walker’s proposed boost of $824 million to the state transportation fund.

Leroy, try figuring out the quote function, OK?

I wish the governor had a better appreciation of the importance of alternatives to auto transportation. I would have preferred he take the millions the feds offered us for passenger rail. Who ended up with that -- California? How generous of him. We lost not only a lot of jobs but the opportunity to become part of a national passenger rail system that will now bypass the state.

Looking at the history of both rail and auto transportation routes, we can see that places bypassed by rail (in earlier times) and the Interstate system (in the 50s) have been losers, while those with connections prospered. There's little reason to assume the same won't happen with a national passenger rail network. Walker was very shortsighted, and if he's now trying to make up the loss of jobs by doing more roadbuilding, he still missed a great opportunity that will have future implications far beyond his lifespan.

But he doesn't care about that.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 am

snoqueen, What the hell had transportation, auto or rail, have to do with Woodward? Besides thread jacking....
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Sandi wrote:snoqueen, What the hell had transportation, auto or rail, have to do with Woodward? Besides thread jacking....

Well there's that bus Obama threw Woodward under.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Sandi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Leroy Gates wrote:
Sandi wrote:snoqueen, What the hell had transportation, auto or rail, have to do with Woodward? Besides thread jacking....

Ah of course.

My apologies snoqueen.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Snoqueen, does it bother you that High Speed Rail is going to bankrupt California? Thank God and Governor Walker we dodged that bullet train.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby DCB » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Leroy Gates wrote:

The most egregious abuse of power since Hilary killed Vince Foster.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:59 pm

DCB wrote:The most egregious abuse of power since Hilary killed Vince Foster.

What difference does it make, at this point, who killed Vince Foster?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Mad Howler wrote:"The lady doth protest too much me thinks." Google it.

Did you mean: "The lady doth protest too much methinks."
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:30 pm

snoqueen, What the hell had transportation, auto or rail, have to do with Woodward? Besides thread jacking....

I dunno. You go ask Leroy. It was him what brung it up, not me.

And Leroy, when California goes bankrupt then we can discuss it.
Last edited by snoqueen on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Leroy Gates wrote:Snoqueen, does it bother you that High Speed Rail is going to bankrupt California? Thank God and Governor Walker we dodged that bullet train.

That can't be true. High speed rail is the surest of sure things.

Much like the Segway.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:And Leroy, when California goes bankrupt then we can discuss it.

Spoken like a true Liberal. Don't let affordability influence your decision. The rest of us can bail California out, right Snoqueen?
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government