MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Good Night, Funnyman

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Good Night, Funnyman

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Comrade Oogo, FOO & Fidel sleeps with the fishes.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good Night, Funnyman

Postby Meade » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Was he not well?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Medium rare
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:36 pm

http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/v?e=28C ... d=4C4A98BD

"Hugo Chavez Frias, Presente!
Cindy Sheehan

"A wonderful human being has passed. What do I do when I am angry, happy, or sad? I write.

Back in 2004, shortly after my son, Casey, was killed in Iraq, a grief counselor advised me to write a letter to my son in a journal every night. I filled up three journals in the terrible months after his death. I often wrote at his grave and those journals did help me deal with the unspeakable loss.

Today, I write from a great well of sadness, but not just for me, for the world. My dear friend in peace and justice, President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela, just lost his fierce and valiant battle with cancer. Many people know about Hugo Chavez, the president, and constant thorn in the side to El Imperio the meddlesome and harmful Empire to the north. But I want to eulogize Chavez the man I knew..."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Duuuude....

Sean Penn on Hugo Chavez's Death: 'I Lost a Friend'

The controversial leader had a slew of Hollywood heavyweights supporting him throughout his reign, with the most vocal two being actor Sean Penn and filmmaker Oliver Stone.

"Today the people of the United States lost a friend it never knew it had. And poor people around the world lost a champion." says Penn in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "I lost a friend I was blessed to have. My thoughts are with the family of President Chavez and the people of Venezuela."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... enn-426205
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Here's a fun story about Hugo Chavez and his necrocracy:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ingle.html
Recent accounts of Hugo Chávez's politicized necrophilia may seem almost too lurid to believe, but I can testify from personal experience that they may well be an understatement. In the early hours of July 16—just at the midnight hour, to be precise—Venezuela's capo officiated at a grisly ceremony. This involved the exhumation of the mortal remains of Simón Bolívar, leader of Latin America's rebellion against Spain, who died in 1830. According to a vividly written article by Thor Halvorssen in the July 25 Washington Post, the skeleton was picked apart—even as Chávez tweeted the proceedings for his audience—and some teeth and bone fragments were taken away for testing. The residual pieces were placed in a coffin stamped with the Chávez government's seal. In one of the rather free-associating speeches for which he has become celebrated, Chávez appealed to Jesus Christ to restage the raising of Lazarus and reanimate Bolívar's constituent parts.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 pm

I often wonder how many Americans really understand why our government, particularly Republicans, hated Hugo Chavez so much. Yeah, he was fond of stirring the pot and it often included jabs at America, and there was no shortage of stories about the awful things he did to his political adversaries, though I'm not sure how much of that you can believe.

It's my understanding that Hugo Chavez' greatest blunder was to declare petroleum a national resource, owned by the people of Venezuela. In Hugo Chavez' world, oil companies couldn't simply pay for the well, they had to pay for the oil too. That's bad for corporations, good for the public... otherwise known as pinko commie bastard policy. And that's why you hate him so much, whether you realize it or not.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:00 am

Yep. He /those who control the "gold" (or oil as it is in this story) can make the rules. I do not think that this story has been broadly appreciated. All in due time, I suppose.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:29 am

The Nation:
the biggest problem Venezuela faced during his rule was not that Chávez was authoritarian but that he wasn’t authoritarian enough.

Congressman Jose Serrano:

Hugo Chavez was a leader that understood the needs of the poor. He was committed to empowering the powerless. R.I.P. Mr. President.

On the other hand, Human Rights Watch:

Hugo Chávez’s presidency (1999-2013) was characterized by a dramatic concentration of power and open disregard for basic human rights guarantees.

After enacting a new constitution with ample human rights protections in 1999 – and surviving a short-lived coup d’état in 2002 – Chávez and his followers moved to concentrate power. They seized control of the Supreme Court and undercut the ability of journalists, human rights defenders, and other Venezuelans to exercise fundamental rights.

By his second full term in office, the concentration of power and erosion of human rights protections had given the government free rein to intimidate, censor, and prosecute Venezuelans who criticized the president or thwarted his political agenda....

But hey, who are we to judge?
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Return to Headlines