MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 am

I have noted a narrative inserted enough times, already, regarding Milwaukee being overlooked somehow by "Madison culture" that I need to ask why? I have lived over half of my life in Dane county but was born elsewhere in Wisconsin, that said I have always enjoyed and thought Milwaukee to be real Wisconsin. So what's the core of the beef? It it that we have missed out on some "top secret America" projects that have benefited, for instance, Baltimore and other areas?

I don't get it. Can someone please help?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby SombreroFallout » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am

Waukesha?
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:53 am

SombreroFallout wrote:Waukesha?

+1
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 am

I don't know of any problems but despite being two of the stronger democratic strongholds in the state, the two cities are very different in character and priorities. Milwaukee is more blue collar, Madison is more academic.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 am

There was a tv article a while ago that talked about the corridors between Madison and Milwaukee, and between Madison and the Twin Cities. Both of them have a much higher than normal percentage of college grads, professionals, managers, business people, etc, than other areas of the state. Apparently quite a few people and businesses have tried to take advantage of that with little success.

One guy said that people on both the Madison and Milwaukee campuses have noted that each campus has rich and fruitful relationships with cities and universities in several other continents but can't seem to get any cooperative Madison/Milwaukee effort past the "Yes let's do it!" stage. Everybody wants one. Can't seem to make it work. They had some quotes from Wiley saying Madison had its ducks in a row but Milwaukee never came through at their end and ignored the project till it died. Milwaukee's spokesperson said something like "yeah we could have moved faster but they were kind of unhelpful about this and that." That little exchange helped to illustrate the situationi.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 am

Milwaukee and Chicago also ought to be cooperating a lot more, especially with regional planning issues. But there's a border in between them that is treated more like a wall than a line on a map.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 am

I was recently in Milwaukee for work and the person I was meeting with made a comment on how I probably never come to Milwaukee. I corrected her as I go quite often. I wasn't shocked by her comment and I've heard the Madison/Milwaukee debate before, but then she goes on to say that she never comes to Madison.

I just don't get it. Each city has something different to offer. MKE has many more things to offer as a larger city than Madison, so it's worth checking out. I think Madison looks nicer than MKE and has a completely different atmosphere so I think that's why people from MKE should visit.

How many of you Madison folks visit MKE?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 pm

It's been years since I went. The reason is mostly I can never find parking, or maybe I should say reasonably-priced parking. I would love to visit the museum more often and to see some of the new buildings, restored buildings, and interesting developments.

I know it's over and done with but I sure would have liked it if the train had happened. I'd have worn that thing out.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Badger Coaches https://www.badgerbus.com/tickets/schedule.aspx
One Way Price Lookup (multiply by 2 for round trip)
Departure Location:
Chazen Museum Stop
Arrival Location:
Milwaukee Bus Depot
Online Price: $18.00
Ticket Counter Price: $19.00
Cash at Bus Price: $20.00
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:It's been years since I went. The reason is mostly I can never find parking, or maybe I should say reasonably-priced parking.

If it's been years since you went, how do you know if you can't find parking? A lot has changed in the downtown.

snoqueen wrote:I would love to visit the museum more often

You can park at the museum for free.

And for what it's worth, since my car crapped out on me I've been taking the Badger Bus and once I get a functioning car, I'll probably still take the bus.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I just don't get it. Each city has something different to offer. MKE has many more things to offer as a larger city than Madison, so it's worth checking out. I think Madison looks nicer than MKE and has a completely different atmosphere so I think that's why people from MKE should visit.

How many of you Madison folks visit MKE?

I visit MKE once a month or so, to shop the various Exclusive Companies and other music stores. I moved here from the Chicago area specifically because I was tired of the "big city" environment, so Milwaukee's appeal to me is limited to only those things I want or need and can't get here in Madison.

If I want a general big city experience, I'll go to Chicago.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:30 pm

wack wack wrote:so Milwaukee's appeal to me is limited to only those things I want or need and can't get here in Madison.

If I want a general big city experience, I'll go to Chicago.

I don't think I go there for the big city experience, but I do go there for the museums, the zoo, Miller Park, concerts(whole hell of a lot better than here), and there are restaurants I really like there.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:34 pm

The Badger Bus actually sounds like a good idea -- I'm always picking people up/dropping people off for the thing, so I might as well use it myself.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Went to the World of Wheels at the State Fair grounds a few weeks ago. Saw the Bucks play the Heat back in Dec. Went to a few Brewers games and saw Cracker at the State Fair last summer. Entertainment-wise, Milwaukee offers way more than Madison.

From my experience, it's not Milwaukee that's looking down it's nose.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 pm

mifflander wrote:From my experience, it's not Milwaukee that's looking down it's nose.

Right, because the hateful rants about "damn Madison liberals" never come from people in Milwaukee.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government