MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Loss of small, independent pharmacies

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Loss of small, independent pharmacies

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:22 pm

I owe a debt to Community Pharmacy for the years they helped support my insulin and blood glucose test strip habits by foregoing their mark-up because I didn't have insurance. Now that I am insured I wouldn't go anywhere else -- they have my loyalty until I fold or they do. I really needed the help at the time.

I hope that they are still able to offer it -- I've gotten a sense over the last few years that the big chains and Internet pharmacies have been cutting into their business and changing their relationship with their distributors. I assume other small independent pharmacies are facing the same sort of challenges, though Community Pharmacy might be a little more resilient since it's a worker co-op whose members can come and go (or retire) without substantially disrupting, or selling, the business.

Even so, the times they are a-changing.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 am

Mallatt's, Monroe St. They got all our business after Shopko took one of my prescriptions and failed to point out to me that the prescription was due to expire before I would have filled all of my refills. I admit, it took me a while to get in there as I still had drugs to cover a few months. So they lost our business for failing to pay attention to detail. Which can be hugely problematic in a pharmacy.

As for catching potential errors by the prescribing physician, they are supposed to do that and act as part of the medical team. Pharmacists will speak to the prescriber if s/he thinks there is a problem with the prescribed drug. No one is perfect and in this day of 15 minutes of face time, usually the max, with a physician, it is good to know that there is another pair of educated eyes that is going to look at that prescription. Assuming of course that it can be read in the first place.

I think Mallatt's joined or even initially formed a consortium with a number of other independently owned pharmacies which gave them a size that allowed for negotiation on drug prices from pharmaceutical firms. So they can get the same deals on large purchases and their prices should be comparable to the big boxes. I believe that Neuhauser also belongs to this consortium.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 am

bleurose wrote: I believe that Neuhauser also belongs to this consortium.

Don't know about Mallatt's but Neuhauser, while independent, belongs to Health Mart.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 am

Walgreens fined for price scanner inaccuracies

This isn't the first time numerous Walgreens in the state have been caught for overcharging. And in the latest instances, some did not correct the mistakes even after the state investigators notified them of the errors.

Buyer beware.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe