MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Brett Hulsey in the news again

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Brett Hulsey in the news again

Postby SlayerDave » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:22 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 61671.html

An aide to state Rep. Brett Hulsey told police last month she feared for her safety because of the Madison Democrat's behavior, which included considering bringing a gun to the Capitol even though he doesn't have a concealed-weapons permit, taking a box cutter to the statehouse on another day and urging the aide to train for self-defense with him...

Obviously, it's the aide's word against Hulsey's, at least on some aspects of the story. But how many he said/(s)he saids can one guy get in before you start to wonder?
Last edited by SlayerDave on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Re: Brett Hulsey in the news again

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:58 pm

SlayerDave wrote:But how many he said/(s)he saids can one guy get in before you start to wonder?

One, unless the accuser is someone with a history of false accusations.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 am

Just one clarification: The paragraph quoted above says "attempting to bring a gun" whereas the linked article reads "considering bringing a gun." Not sure if the JS made a correction or if it was an error on the part of the OP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm inclined to think Hulsey's got a few loose screws, but there's a big difference between considering something and attempting it. (The article later refers to an accusation that Hulsey attempted this, but that first quote is no longer verbatim.)

Is it just me, or does the behavior exhibited in the capitol these days make most at-risk middle schools look like Zen sanctuaries?
Last edited by Mean Scenester on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:53 am

Smoke. Fire.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Is it just me, or does the behavior exhibited in the capitol these days make most at-risk middle schools look like Zen sanctuaries?

This.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Just one clarification: The paragraph quoted above says "attempting to bring a gun" whereas the linked article reads "considering bringing a gun." Not sure if the JS made a correction or if it was an error on the part of the OP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm inclined to think Hulsey's got a few loose screws, but there's a big difference between considering something and attempting it. (The article later refers to an accusation that Hulsey attempted this, but that first quote is no longer verbatim.)

Is it just me, or does the behavior exhibited in the capitol these days make most at-risk middle schools look like Zen sanctuaries?

I just Ctrl V'd from the original JS article. Did not realize they had changed it, will correct.

Anyways, the gun thing is probably the least interesting part of the story to me. I was unsure about how much quoting was acceptable, so I just quoted the intro, but for me the most troubling part comes later where the aide claims he forced her to schedule a self-defense session against her will.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:08 pm

SlayerDave wrote:for me the most troubling part comes later where the aide claims he forced her to schedule a self-defense session against her will.

If it's the aide I think it is, for what it's worth, that aide never did have any loyalty to Hulsey. The aide's loyalty was to Spencer Black and the aide was probably hoping Ben Manski would defeat Hulsey in 2010.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:23 pm

Meade wrote:
SlayerDave wrote:for me the most troubling part comes later where the aide claims he forced her to schedule a self-defense session against her will.

If it's the aide I think it is, for what it's worth, that aide never did have any loyalty to Hulsey. The aide's loyalty was to Spencer Black and the aide was probably hoping Ben Manski would defeat Hulsey in 2010.

Of course. It could be another situation in which Hulsey was honestly trying to do something good and had his actions misinterpreted (or even did nothing at all). My point though - and maybe this is unfair - is how many times does that gets to happen before you really start to wonder about a guy.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:40 pm

SlayerDave wrote:how many times does that gets to happen before you really start to wonder about a guy.

How many of the doofuses in the legislature do you NOT "wonder about"?

I wonder about all of them. Every single one.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:
SlayerDave wrote:how many times does that gets to happen before you really start to wonder about a guy.

How many of the doofuses in the legislature do you NOT "wonder about"?

I wonder about all of them. Every single one.

I agree. Hulsey makes the news because the things that he does are just kinda bizarre.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Know who else was "bizarre?" Abe Lincoln.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:26 pm

jjoyce wrote:Know who else was "bizarre?" Abe Lincoln.

Ya, but did he ever push a kid off of an inner tube. I didn't think so.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:08 pm

The best quote I read in the paper this weekend was "But Hulsey, a former Sierra Club official who now runs an environmental consulting business, said he believes some of the controversy was orchestrated by political enemies, including Republican Gov. Scott Walker and fellow Democrate Madison Mayor Paul Soglin."

Kind of sounds like Hulsey has his own version of Dick Nixons "Enemies List". And on what planet do people like Paul Soglin and Scott Walker get together to ruin someones political career?

When pigs fly.
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:38 pm

you must be joking wrote:And on what planet do people like Paul Soglin and Scott Walker get together to ruin someones political career?

When pigs fly.

Love it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:32 pm

you must be joking wrote:The best quote I read in the paper this weekend was "But Hulsey, a former Sierra Club official who now runs an environmental consulting business, said he believes some of the controversy was orchestrated by political enemies, including Republican Gov. Scott Walker and fellow Democrate Madison Mayor Paul Soglin."

Kind of sounds like Hulsey has his own version of Dick Nixons "Enemies List". And on what planet do people like Paul Soglin and Scott Walker get together to ruin someones political career?

When pigs fly.

Here's the article
Also there:
But Hulsey acknowledged that some of his recent problems have roots in the physical and psychological abuse that he said he suffered at the hands of his father, now deceased, while growing up in Oklahoma. He described his father as an alcoholic who would sometimes hold his and his sister's heads under water or put him in a chokehold.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government