MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Film Fest Freakout

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Film Fest Freakout

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:47 pm

The 2013 Film Fest guide is out (in your Isthmus today) and I know a lot of people eagerly await the announcement of each year's slate.

Thoughts about this year's so far?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Film Fest Freakout

Postby rrnate » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm very excited to check it out!

That being said, a few things that have lingeringly bothered me include:

a) Don't like the increase in days, didn't feel like they were exactly at capacity last year
b) REALLY don't like that there is a big "unsaid" about why Meg H. is no longer face of festival
c) Last year was the first where the Meg was less prominent and possibly correlated with what felt like a "more standard" / "less Madison" schedule. Still, maybe just a blip?

Also, so help me God, let's hope their online ticketing system works this year. The great crash of 2012 was very traumatic to hardcore WFF fans.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 pm

ADDENDUM: Just saw that there is a late night screening of "Berberian Sound Studio" and that is very exciting to me.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 pm

BREWSTER MCCLOUD!
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:22 pm

minicat wrote:BREWSTER MCCLOUD!

Yeah, also, M. NO, not that M, but apparently a U.S. remake from 1951?!? Never heard of it, but I will go see it. Pretty neato.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:36 pm

Quick look and I think "The End of Time" will be one on my list.

rrnate wrote:a) Don't like the increase in days, didn't feel like they were exactly at capacity last year

I think it has to do with less venues. No Memorial Union, MMOCA, and I think the Bartell.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm not digging the film fest spread, geographically or temporally.

We're doing it old school this year. 11th through the 14th only, and only the campus venues.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Quick look and I think "The End of Time" will be one on my list.

rrnate wrote:a) Don't like the increase in days, didn't feel like they were exactly at capacity last year

I think it has to do with less venues. No Memorial Union, MMOCA, and I think the Bartell.

Yeah, and, seeing Sundance is the only venue going in to the next week, I'd guess they wanted the movies a bit longer.

It's great for ME, 'cause I live right by Sundance (and can therefore replicate my 'walk to the WFF' experience that I enjoyed when I lived downtown) but still, too bad they're not or can't use the Bartell and MMOCA, which have both been pretty primo spots in the past.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 pm

They just couldn't rely on certain venues, right? Definite no on Memorial Union and probably not on Orpheum. That's four screens.

Gotta show movies somewhere.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:09 pm

jjoyce wrote:They just couldn't rely on certain venues, right? Definite no on Memorial Union and probably not on Orpheum. That's four screens.

Just curious what you mean by that. They certainly used MU and Orpheum in the past. So how did they become unreliable?

Sorry if I'm missing something that everyone in Madison knows ... the category of "stuff that happened in Madison after Kurt left but he never heard about" somehow keeps expanding.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 pm

I think the way the Fest handled Meg was shitty, but that's not the fault of the filmmakers, and there are some interesting ones here.

Spaghetti Western restoration is a fun theme, and I like how it informs the theme for this year's design aesthetic. Not really my scene, but I like a strong theme.

22 films marked on first pass, whittled down to 8, and then finally 4.

-The End of Time looks like it'll be an eye-googling affair, and appropriately high-minded for film fest fare.

-Leviathan: same. Free- and anchored-camera documentary storytelling seems fun, and perfect for a ocean-going topic.

-Room 237 is meta-documentary, and the trailer really got me. Guess I'll have to see The Shining first...

-Much Ado About Nothing is not on my final four list because of Joss Whedon (I'm not a Whedonite), although it gives the production a little more credit; a 12-day shoot doesn't make Shakespeare impossible (quite the opposite, actually) but a less meticulous filmmaker might blow it trying to make it feel off-the-cuff.

We'll see how the ticket-buying goes. And you can say what you want, but I'm not bothered by the inclusion of more Sundance screens. That's what Sundance was supposed to be about when it opened. Sucks that downtown was mishandled by literally everybody, but I'm not planning on boycotting just because I've got to get to campus or the near west side.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:54 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:-Room 237 is meta-documentary, and the trailer really got me. Guess I'll have to see The Shining first...

Like, as in rewatch The Shining, or see it for the first time?

Danny: "Mr Halloran, what is in room 237?

Mr Halloran: "Nuthin'. There ain't nuthin' in room 237, but you ain't got no business goin' in there anyway, so stay out! STAY OUT!

But alas, Danny is a very willful boy.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 am

jjoyce wrote:They just couldn't rely on certain venues, right? Definite no on Memorial Union and probably not on Orpheum. That's four screens.

Gotta show movies somewhere.

Right, but I'm not talking about the Orpheum - as awesome as it *could* be as a venue, we all know (except I guess for kurt w) what a shitshow that's been, and frankly, it has sucked as a WFF venue for years - running late, tons of noise in the lobby leaking in to the main theater, main theater sound being pretty weak, no heat in that other, smaller room, etc.

Actually, the one I'm more interested in is why they're not showing at MMOCA - that's a hell of a theater and it's been a great venue for the last few years. Are they just trying to keep things more UW-Centric? My guess is yes, which would explain a few things (like, why the dude who programs UW-Cinemateque is now kind of calling programming shots).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 am

rrnate wrote:we all know (except I guess for kurt w) what a shitshow that's been, and frankly, it has sucked as a WFF venue for years - running late, tons of noise in the lobby leaking in to the main theater, main theater sound being pretty weak, no heat in that other, smaller room, etc.

Ah, thanks. I was just curious. I don't remember the Orpheum being all that bad back in the 1990s. Maybe it's gotten worse, or maybe I forgot, or I'm just naturally unobservant.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

Personally I'm going to really miss the Bartell. That's been one of my favorite film festival spots over the years, to the point I would sometimes add films to my schedule just because they were being shown there.

Ducatista wrote:I'm not digging the film fest spread, geographically or temporally.

We're doing it old school this year. 11th through the 14th only, and only the campus venues.

This. Not feeling pepped-up about the Festival this year for various reasons (have been getting more than my fill of Spaghetti Westerns at Cinematheque, for instance) and realized this morning that if I just cross out everything that's at Sundance or UW Chazen (you can barely get me to see something for free in that theater) then I'll have a reasonable list to think over and chose from, for a pleasant change. Leviathan is jumping out at me, but I probably won't try to start figuring things out until next week.

Much Ado About Nothing may be the single exception to my rule. A friend (with a car!) wants to see it, and I am a Whedonite so I may have to go (violating another long-standing rule of mine: avoid WFF films that you will be able to see some other way) . If I take my time about replying tickets may be sold out, though, so there's that. Folks on Whedonesque are already talking about driving up from Chicago -- I'm wondering if any tickets will still be available after Saturday.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Movies