MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

CPAC and Donald Downs

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: CPAC and Donald Downs

Postby SlayerDave » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:43 pm

pjbogart wrote:I can't think of any good reason, including costs, to prevent a sitting President from giving a speech at your University. Even considering that the speech was a self-serving campaign speech, such an opportunity for the students to see democracy in action surely outweighs any temporary disruption of campus routine.

Yes, I agree. I think the benefits outweighed the costs. Though it's worth noting that many of the complaints in the letter aren't about having the speech on campus per se, but rather issues surrounding it, such as the mechanism of getting a ticket (you had to give your info to the Obama campaign) and the location (forcing many UW staffers to take a personal day or make up hours).

The very fact that Downs was invited to CPAC tells me that his position was unreasonable, given that "unreasonable" is practically a requirement for attendance.

Again, the letter was signed by some ideologically diverse profs. You (and I) disagree with their conclusions. That's great. But 15 posts in, I'm still waiting for someone to provide evidence of how Professor Downs is not a friend of free speech, which I took to be the point of this thread.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:20 pm

SlayerDave wrote:But 15 posts in, I'm still waiting for someone to provide evidence of how Professor Downs is not a friend of free speech, which I took to be the point of this thread.

I don't know enough about Prof. Downs to draw a conclusion about his motives. I had Ann Althouse for a couple of Law classes in the mid-90's and pretty much quit attending her lectures after it became clear that she was a self-absorbed flake who had all of the focus of a cat in a bathtub.

But I know something about the people who run CPAC. They hate everyone who doesn't attend CPAC. They hate poor people, gay people, brown people and non-Christian people. They think Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh are role models for our children. They much prefer Victoria Jackson to Susan Sarandon.

And they think Donald Downs is a patriot.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:55 am

pjbogart wrote:I don't know enough
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:44 am

pjbogart wrote:
But I know something about the people who run CPAC. They hate everyone who doesn't attend CPAC. They hate poor people, gay people, brown people and non-Christian people. They think Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh are role models for our children. They much prefer Victoria Jackson to Susan Sarandon.

And they think Donald Downs is a patriot.

In the New Jersey category, they prefer birther Donald Trump to helping-his-constituents Chris Christie.

In the diversity category, they prefer white nationalists to black people.

I would be embarressed to get an award from those people, unless it was "greatest threat to civilization".
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 am

One of the three best professors I had at the UW (along with Bob Mathieu in Astronomy and Bob Drechsel in Journalism), and probably #1. Not just a defender of free speech, but of academic freedom and the liberal arts and public universities as well.

Not an ideologue. Or a self promoter.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Meade wrote:I don't know.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government