MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

UW Chancellor Finalists

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

UW Chancellor Finalists

Postby MPMay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 pm

The 4 finalists are announced:

http://chancellorsearch.wisc.edu/

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 963f4.html

Here is my totally uninformed take:

Superstar field.

Blank has to be the favorite, but the problem is that she was a finalist when they went with Biddy Martin. So, not good enough then, what has changed ??? Also, the most political of the four; the others are all clearly in the academia, which may be an advantage for the others.

My odds for Blank: 35%

Jones looks really good, I wonder if the native of New Zealand stuff is an asset or a liability in terms of knowing the UW. An engineer, he fits the usual hard science choice for UW chancellor. Good record; got to like the Johns Hopkins, U of Illinois and Caltech connections.

My odds for Jones: 30%

Schill might be the best candidate except, well, he is a lawyer. The UW rarely goes for Law as the pedigree for the Chancellor. But if you want to go there, this guy has it all. Undergrad at Princeton, Yale law school, taught at NYU and Penn, dean at UCLA Law and now U of Chicago Law. That is a resume!

My odds for Schill: 25%

Wilcox is too much Big Ten/Midwest with no Wisconsin ties. Purdue, MSU, and Kansas, he would have to blow folks away in the interview.

My odds for Wilcox: 10%
MPMay
Forum Addict

Re: UW Chancellor Finalists

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 am

MPMay wrote: Blank has to be the favorite, but the problem is that she was a finalist when they went with Biddy Martin. So, not good enough then, what has changed ??? Also, the most political of the four; the others are all clearly in the academia, which may be an advantage for the others.

I really ought to keep up better. I didn't know she was in the running then.

But given the results with Biddy plus the political climate I think it possible that the search team does not have the same list of priorities any more. That's what changed.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 pm

well, I heard (total hearsay alert) that last time, there were search committee members who were determined that a woman would get the nod, which was potentially a major reason for picking Biddy. That did not work out too well. My opinion anyway as I realize there are those who thought she was the best choice.

Have to say that I don't recall Blank specifically although I at least remember that there were a couple of women in the finalist pool. If she is the one from that finalist pool, I have to say that I wasn't that impressed with her the first time around. And back in my admittedly unreliable hearsay archives, I thought I heard that she made the finalist round more as a second token female than because of any particularly stellar credentials. Without knowing all of the potential candidates back then, this doesn't hold much water. Again, hearsay alert and I plead sketchy memory as backup defense. Right now, I would lean toward either Jones or Schill as their credentials and experience look really good. Stacked up against them, Wilcox just doesn't seem to have the depth.

I will muse here that Blank may have a strike against her as there are those "out there" who will not want to pick a woman again since it didn't work out too well with Biddy. And there are lots of ways to legally not give her the nod without being overtly discriminatory so I won't be surprised if she doesn't get it. Just my opinion anyway.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Geez, way to go out on a limb. I wish I had a dollar for every qualifier you put in there.

On the plus side, some guy named Milton didn't make the cut!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:35 pm

So, has anyone googled these finalists yet?
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Biddy picked a hell of a time to take the wheel as everyone knows. But whether or not it was circumstances that toppled her or just the wrong set of skills, it would take one hell of a short memory to say that a woman is the wrong choice because of what happened to Biddy.

After all, we have had one or two women in that post who didn't get chewed up.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Kim Wilcox is my favorite. He seems more like a pure academic and scholar. I'd rather have him than a politician, lawyer, or engineer.

http://host.madison.com/daily-cardinal/ ... f887a.html
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:44 am

Shorty wrote:Kim Wilcox is my favorite. He seems more like a pure academic and scholar. I'd rather have him than a politician, lawyer, or engineer.

Is a chancellor's main role to be an "academic and scholar" though? Important, to be sure, but there's so much more to it.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:18 am

SlayerDave wrote:
Shorty wrote:Kim Wilcox is my favorite. He seems more like a pure academic and scholar. I'd rather have him than a politician, lawyer, or engineer.

Is a chancellor's main role to be an "academic and scholar" though? Important, to be sure, but there's so much more to it.

Agreed. Biddy was an academic.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 am

SlayerDave wrote:Is a chancellor's main role to be an "academic and scholar" though? Important, to be sure, but there's so much more to it.

Typically, chancellors (and certain deans) are better described as "academic and scholars" in the past tense. Wiley, for example, wanted to return to the faculty and teach his specialty in between stepping down from the chancellorship and retiring, but was gently persuading otherwise by the other faculty. Or so the story goes.

The reason usually given for preferring one-time academic scholars in that position is that they are best positioned to understand the needs and concerns of faculty, which is important at a place like the UW-Madison, where faculty governance is not just a marketing phrase. Another way of putting that, though, is that someone who is not an academic scholar--and a tenured one, to boot--will not get the respect or support of the faculty when the chips are down. Any academic staff member can readily provide examples of this, and it doesn't matter if the staff member has a Ph.D., all the duties of tenured faculty (but not all the privileges), and 35 years of service to the university. Faculty are the landed aristocracy of the university; some are more generous to their inferiors, but that is as far as it goes.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:13 pm

yeah, gargantua, and it saved everyone else the need to do the "evidence/link, please" dance and it saved me from having to reply that these were my best-remembered thoughts and opinions. So, efficient all the way around. Besides, that is one of the major functions around here - for people to be able to express opinions & discuss. Doesn't mean that every single statement has to be referenced with an outside source.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:30 pm

bleurose wrote:Besides, that is one of the major functions around here - for people to be able to express opinions & discuss. Doesn't mean that every single statement has to be referenced with an outside source.

Link, please.

Yes, I am joking.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:42 pm

:D
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Rebecca wins.

An excellent choice in my opinion.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:30 pm

rabble wrote:Rebecca wins.

An excellent choice in my opinion.

She was my favorite out of the 4. I think she has good credentials and will bring some different perspective to the job. I think being acting director of the Commerce department was a plus.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government