MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Chief Erwin keeps capitol from descending into chaos

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Chief Erwin keeps capitol from descending into chaos

Postby minicat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 am

I feel "terrorized" by the actions of many Republican legislators but I'm pretty sure Erwin's not going to have them arrested ...
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:59 am

athabasca wrote:
Yes. I found it incredibly weaselly. You know, because of some anecdotal allegations about people feeling intimidated by protesters once upon a sometime in the Capitol (why, someone once hollered and made a little girl cry!), therefore we must arrest people for holding banners over balconies and singing without a permit! Oh, the humanity!

Well, you know those banners are very dangerous -- "a hazard," I think Chief Erwin said -- what with the two by fours and weights and stuff! Hanging! On the bottom edge!

I hope you feel properly terrorized and fearful now, and fully appreciate Chief Erwin's efforts to keep us all safe from randomly shouting crazy people and dangerous hanging banners.

Personally I was hoping someone would bring up the contention that the "medical crisis" that a protester was arrested for supposedly interfering with (one of Erwin's examples to justify his policy) was actually brought on by a group of Capitol police non-confrontationally surrounding and handcuffing the medical crisisee, whom they had targeted for "de-escalation" because she was perceived to be a "leader" by the CP. Apparently the police were so busy keeping the peace by causing a commotion that they failed to notice she was having an attack; the second protester was arrested for pointing it out. I would have enjoyed hearing Erwin squirm over that.

And what's with all the focus on "leaders" and "troublemakers" (total number estimate fell from 20 to 10 to "about 5" over the course of the half hour -- see? the policy's working!)? Erwin kept on pointing out again and again that per Capitol Police enforcement policy some specific individuals (known only to them) have less free speech than others, because the Capitol Police say so. It's like a law suit waiting to happen, with the (very) public radio interview as supporting evidence.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:50 am

Crime and Courts: Capitol police turning up the heat on singalong leaders

Capitol Police Chief David Erwin is ramping up the pressure on the Solidarity Singers, targeting those who lead the weekday singalongs.

“They’re coming after people for taking leadership roles,” says Brandon Barwick, who has been the main organizer and musical conductor for the group for the past four months.

Last week, Barwick received three citations via certified mail, adding to the five he’s already received, for a grand total of $1,667 in fines, which he’s fighting in court.

Also receiving a citation was Daithi Wolfe, who often conducts the well-attended Friday singalongs that take place outdoors. He agreed to conduct one inside the Capitol rotunda on Oct. 8, however, when Barwick was out of town.
[...]
“They won’t tell me what they’re for,” says Barwick. “When you type in the administrative code there’s a whole long paragraph of things that it could be classified as. So my assumption is that it’s for conducting the singalong.”

Barwick says he asked officers why he was being cited but was told, “You’re going to have to wait until your court date.”

Not being given reasons for being cited? Really?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Erwin's new priorities:
Two Milwaukee uniform companies have charged Gov. Scott Walker's administration nearly $26,000 for new state Capitol police outfits.

Invoices show Lark Uniform Outfitters, Inc., billed the state Department of Administration $1,279 for gold and silver buttons and caps. Badger Uniforms billed the agency $24,500 for shirts and pants.

New Capitol Police Chief David Erwin ordered the new uniforms as part of his plan to upgrade the department's image when he took over in July. The retired Marine and State Patrol veteran also has banned his officers from wearing beards and goatees.

Are mustaches OK?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Shades of Nixon and the palace guard uniforms....
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 am

New crackdown on Capitol protests may be imminent

According to a “statement of scope for administrative rules and emergency rules,” obtained by The Capital Times Monday, the state is planning to promulgate emergency rules — a fast-tracked method to pass a new law quickly without public input...

I wonder what free speech advocate Donald Downs thinks of this.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 am

Perhaps it is time to start violating the First Amendment rights of our elected officials.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Walker again loses in federal court.

Judge blocks portion of Capitol access policy

A federal judge has blocked enforcement of parts of the policy that determines who can legally gather in the Wisconsin state Capitol.

Gov. Scott Walker's administration adopted the policy in the wake of the massive demonstrations in 2011 that grew to as large as 100,000 people.

The American Civil Liberties Union in February filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of a person who regularly gathers in the Capitol over the noon hour to sing protest songs.

U.S. District Judge William Conley on Monday issued a preliminary injunction barring the Walker administration from distinguishing the type of gathering for purposes of issuing a permit. Conley also barred enforcing the permit requirement for gatherings expected to draw 20 or fewer people.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Walker again loses in federal court.

Judge blocks portion of Capitol access policy

Well that makes four.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:02 pm

DCB wrote:Well that makes four.

That seems like a lot till you start counting how many fundamental changes the administration has implemented since he took over. If you look at it as a percentage, Walker's barely been touched.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:55 pm

host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/judge-strikes-down-portion-of-capitol-access-policy/article_ad872636-2f1d-58c6-9bb9-979ee73a95ab.html

(that's a link, a little more recent than HV's -- I don't know why the program won't linkify it. Cut and paste, I guess)

Judge Conley again:

[Conley] also said the policy's preference for "cause-promoting speech" was an unconstitutional content-based restriction on speech and cannot be enforced.

"The current permitting requirement sweeps in an enormous amount of ordinary activities that are unlikely to present any significant disturbance in the Capitol," Conley wrote. "It thus unnecessarily creates a chilling effect on the speech of the majority of individuals who are willing to follow reasonable conduct standards and co-exist harmoniously with tour groups, permitted events and other legitimate state activities."

He didn't rule on the constitutionality of the entire permit policy, but said the provisions he identified as unconstitutional "raises the question of whether the rest of the Access Policy can be salvaged."

Obama made a good judicial appointment here -- the guy knows how to cut through garbage and get to the point. We tend to forget what clarity sounds like, after listening to months and months of obfuscation and trumped-up excuses.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government