MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

New look for the MPD Blotter

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

New look for the MPD Blotter

Postby Detritus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Hey, kids, check it out:

Police Incident Reports

I look forward to a review in Isthmus.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New look for the MPD Blotter

Postby rabble » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 pm

Is it extremely difficult to list every incident, or are they protecting us from the shock and horror of being able to view a true crime report?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:30 am

rabble wrote:Is it extremely difficult to list every incident, or are they protecting us from the shock and horror of being able to view a true crime report?

If I remember correctly, these reports are cleaned up before being posted, and I assume they also leave out all the false alarms, the retiree reporting someone stealing sugar from the sugar bowl--unless, of course, it's funny--and the like.

Or maybe Joel DeSpain is saving all the really good reports for his own writing.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:56 pm

When the Onion was a local paper, they used to run the best of UW police reports. I miss that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Detritus wrote:
rabble wrote:Is it extremely difficult to list every incident, or are they protecting us from the shock and horror of being able to view a true crime report?

If I remember correctly, these reports are cleaned up before being posted, and I assume they also leave out all the false alarms, the retiree reporting someone stealing sugar from the sugar bowl--unless, of course, it's funny--and the like.

Or maybe Joel DeSpain is saving all the really good reports for his own writing.

I ask because I know of several break-ins and robberies in my own neighborhood and I only saw a couple of them in the blotter. This indicates that not only are they cleaning up and removing the false alarms, they're only listing the ones they want to. That blotter is not giving anyone a realistic picture of area crime.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:28 pm

rabble wrote:I ask because I know of several break-ins and robberies in my own neighborhood and I only saw a couple of them in the blotter. This indicates that not only are they cleaning up and removing the false alarms, they're only listing the ones they want to. That blotter is not giving anyone a realistic picture of area crime.

Is that the purpose of the blotter? I assume it's more like an impressionistic picture of area crime than a realistic one.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:38 pm

No great mystery here. Right at the top, the page says "Incidents listed are selected by the Officer In Charge of each shift that may have significant public interest. Incidents listed are not inclusive of all incidents. Requests for information can be directed to the MPD Records Unit: (608) 266-4075."
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:43 pm

Incidents listed are not inclusive of all incidents.
English as a second language?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:46 pm

fennel wrote:
Incidents listed are not inclusive of all incidents.
English as a second language?

Hardly--standard bureaucratese. Now, if it said "incidents are not the all incidents included," you might have something there....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government