MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby nutria » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:42 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Latest Wisconsin poll on proposed firearms legislation. Notice the overwhelming support for background checks on all gun sales.

I'm sure Meade will be along any second to tell us that all (OK, 81%) Wisconsinites are Nazis.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:38 pm

nutria wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Latest Wisconsin poll on proposed firearms legislation. Notice the overwhelming support for background checks on all gun sales.

I'm sure Meade will be along any second to tell us that all (OK, 81%) Wisconsinites are Nazis.

Nazis? No way. But I'm sure many of them are unaware of the full provisions and implications of the proposed federal bill. If the upcoming state bill is similar the results would also be similar in WI. While the proponents of this bill say it applies to all gun "sales", notice it also applies to all transfers also. A "transfer" occurs whenever you loan a gun, give it as a gift, inherit it, and under the federal bill, leave it in your own house with someone who is not a family member. Want to let your friend shoot your gun while duck hunting? You have to go through a background check or become felons. Let your buddy try out your gun at a shooting range? Felons! You get deployed overseas or go on a business trip or vacation for more than a week and leave your gun with your girlfriend or unmarried partner? Background check or felony charges. Of course this discriminates against gay couples because under federal law such marriages cannot be recognized even in those states that recognize it. Also the bill largely disenfranchises 18 to 20 year olds from getting handguns-- something currently they can do. You have to be 21 to purchase through a federally licensed dealer, but it's perfectly legal to possess own a handgun at age 18 if you've purchased it privately or have received it as a gift or inherited it. If all transfers must be done through a FFL, current law requires the FFL to deny the transfer of a handgun if the person cannot show they are at least 21 years old.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Hmmm, what's that Latin phrase I'm thinking of... "Reductio ad absurdum," is that it? Yeah, that's it. Reductio ad absurdum.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Want to let your friend shoot your gun while duck hunting? You have to go through a background check or become felons.
Sounds good to me.
Dangerousman wrote: Let your buddy try out your gun at a shooting range? Felons!
Sounds good to me.
Dangerousman wrote: You get deployed overseas or go on a business trip or vacation for more than a week and leave your gun with your girlfriend or unmarried partner? Background check or felony charges.
Sounds good to me.
Dangerousman wrote:Also the bill largely disenfranchises 18 to 20 year olds from getting handguns
Sounds good to me.

Thanks for providing so many compelling reasons for more reasonable gun control measures.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Want to let your friend shoot your gun while duck hunting? You have to go through a background check or become felons.
Sounds good to me.

me too.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: Let your buddy try out your gun at a shooting range? Felons!
Sounds good to me.

me too.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Sounds good to me too. Of course, it would be one of those not enforced things. Nobody would bust you for loaning out your gun.

Unless the guy you loaned it to did something like shoot himself or somebody else. Then you'd be up on charges.

That sort of thing would make more people think twice about who they're giving a gun. Not only would you face charges but you'd probably lose your gun too. Oh the horror.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Here's the State Journal:
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... f887a.html

I post this because of the comments section. The fourth comment from the end (they're listed most recent first) says this:

This is all Kabuki. It's time this country gives up this love affair with guns and violence.

There is no rational reason for anyone other than law enforcement personnel to have any automatic weapons of any type. You can hunt with a bolt or lever action rifle. You can protect yourself with a revolver.

It is insane that to drive a car you need to have instruction, a license, vehicle registration and insurance but nothing to own a guy. Gun ownership should have the same restrictions.

Maybe he meant to write gun instead of guy in the second-to-last sentence. Maybe not.

Monetheless, when State Journal comments start to make sense -- they're usually 90% sheer batshit-insane -- you know we're turning a corner. And, in spite of the far right's lockdown on passing actual legislation, I think public opinion is, indeed, becoming more moderate. Every new mass murder, suicide, or domestic-dispute murder nudges the needle a little further out of the red zone. It's tragic the price of change is so high, but it's working when nothing else is.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Never ceases to amaze me how so many people seem to think that driving a car on a public road is protected by the Bill of Rights. To make a fair comparison about gun regulations, one should compare them to other actual rights rather than privileges.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Sounds good to me.
Sounds good to me.
Dangerousman wrote: You get deployed overseas or go on a business trip or vacation for more than a week and leave your gun with your girlfriend or unmarried partner? Background check or felony charges.
Sounds good to me.
Dangerousman wrote:Also the bill largely disenfranchises 18 to 20 year olds from getting handguns
Sounds good to me.

Thanks for providing so many compelling reasons for more reasonable gun control measures.

Don't forget, such contempt for constitutionally protected rights can always be brought to bear against you too someday.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:23 am

Yawn. Yeah right, like they're going to prohibit drug-addled, obese drunks from voting.

Rush Limbaugh is going to bat for me, dangerouscunt. Who's in your corner?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:14 am

Dangerousman wrote:Don't forget, such contempt for constitutionally protected rights can always be brought to bear against you too someday.

I'm sorry, where is the unfettered right to transfer a firearm protected in the Constitution?

You are quickly shedding any shred of cred you might have had here, Dman. You're making a joke of yourself.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:54 am

pjbogart wrote:Yawn. Yeah right, like they're going to prohibit drug-addled, obese drunks from voting.

Rush Limbaugh is going to bat for me, dangerouscunt. Who's in your corner?

There are a lot more rights than just voting. Look at the erosion of 4th Amendment rights as well.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:58 am

wack wack wrote:You are quickly shedding any shred of cred you might have had here, Dman. You're making a joke of yourself.

Oh, so you believe I'm becoming more like you?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:02 am

Dangerousman wrote:
wack wack wrote:You are quickly shedding any shred of cred you might have had here, Dman. You're making a joke of yourself.

I know you are but what am I

Ooooh snap! Wack Wack got burned.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:16 am

Dangerousman wrote:

Oh, so you believe I'm becoming more like you?

Your inability to answer the question I asked makes clear: you're in a class of your own.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines