MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

No 2nd Job for Pot Smoker because of drug testing but wait..

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

No 2nd Job for Pot Smoker because of drug testing but wait..

Postby Gorcon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:15 pm

No second Job for Pot Smoker because of drug testing but wait…what if he travels to Colorado once a month? Or at least says he does….?

Looking for feedback on this situation from about 2 weeks ago….. Everybody has heard of drug testing before getting a job. Guilty before being proven innocent is how I look at it. I don’t drink alcohol or take drugs including pot but I really don’t have a problem if someone (adult) dose in a responsible manner. As I understand it Pot stays in ones system for up to 30 days meaning if you smoke a joint on Saturday night your screwed on getting a job that requires a drug test for 30 days after that . Or as well one could get in trouble or fired on a random drug test at ones work if he or she’s work does such a thing. Seems like quite a raw deal to me. Anyway case in point… Recently a good buddy of mine who is a regular pot smoker after work and on weekends decided he wanted to get a part time evening and weekend job to help with some expenses. He is an electronics repair man and has worked for the same company daily 9-6pm for 12 years. He receives a raise every year so one could assume he is doing a good job. He is a clean shaven daily showered 49 year old Caucasian male with a good attitude and professional personality. 4 weeks ago he applied at the Madison Home Depot; 2 weeks ago he was told that he was definitely someone they wanted to hire. That his job history was great and all his interviews went very well but that he had tested positive for marijuana and could not be hired unless he had a medical authorization to use it. He said hell no I do not and said goodbye. Well I got to thinking about the states that recently made smoking pot legal and was wondering If one says that he or she visited one of these states on their time off and used pot while there, is this test (specifically for pot)) still legal and can it still be enforced? Also in this situation will it be legal for a drug tester/ employer to ask for proof that one did indeed visit these states?
Gorcon
Forum Addict

Re: No 2nd Job for Pot Smoker because of drug testing but wa

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Pretty Home Depots drug policy stands regardless of the legality of the drug. Recreational drug use is not protected under discrimination laws in hiring.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:30 pm

There is not a single state in the U.S. where pot is legal. Not one.

From the White House of President Barack Obama: http://www.whitehouse.gov/ondcp/federal ... -marijuana

Home Depot or any other legal business would be irrationally accepting liability by knowingly hiring anyone involved in criminal activity of any kind.

All that aside, why should an employer be prohibited from discriminating against hiring people who use intoxicants, legal or not, of any kind?

Also, what does your friend being "Caucasian" have to do with anything?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Meade wrote:Also, what does your friend being "Caucasian" have to do with anything?

Because it's ok to discriminate against him if he's brown, silly.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Meade wrote:why should an employer be prohibited from discriminating against hiring people who use intoxicants, legal or not, of any kind?
You think employers should be able to legally discriminate against hiring people who drink coffee or soda?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Sure. Why not? Hell, employers are free to discriminate against hiring people who wear straw hats, lace-up boots, and who roll their own cigarettes. Should they not be?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:
Meade wrote:Also, what does your friend being "Caucasian" have to do with anything?

Because it's ok to discriminate against him if he's brown, silly.

Apparently true in Gorcon and your world.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Meade wrote:There is not a single state in the U.S. where pot is legal. Not one.

So you're on the books that Federal jurisprudence trumps state law?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Article VI: The Supremacy Clause. Ever heard of it?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:59 pm

Yes, just making sure you're on the record when Roberts and the Supremes legalize the buttseks marriage later this year. Wouldn't want you crying about states rights then.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gorcon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Meade wrote:There is not a single state in the U.S. where pot is legal. Not one.

From the White House of President Barack Obama: http://www.whitehouse.gov/ondcp/federal ... -marijuana

Home Depot or any other legal business would be irrationally accepting liability by knowingly hiring anyone involved in criminal activity of any kind.

All that aside, why should an employer be prohibited from discriminating against hiring people who use intoxicants, legal or not, of any kind?

Also, what does your friend being "Caucasian" have to do with anything?

IDK because he is? I just thought id give you the full picture. If he was brown blue or green I would of said so.
Gorcon
Forum Addict

Postby Gorcon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:07 pm

I forgot about the feds still saying its illegal even when states legalize it.... That would prob be the way they can keep practicing this obvious invasion of privacy right...? However can the feds pick and choose to enforce one law and not the other like "illegal"
aliens as an example? Or how they have let California smoke and sell pot for years? How is that fair?
Gorcon
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 pm

I can't see why he'd WANT to work at any of the big box stores when their hiring practice seems to be slanted towards finding people who have as little knowledge about the product or its uses as possible, but since he does, he should have told them he wanted a second test because that one must have been a false positive.

Not only are those tests riddled with bad results, they'll often not spend the money to actually test the pee. They just SAY they found pot and the ones who don't smoke will scream and yell and want another test.

I have two friends whose jobs involve driving. Both of them stopped smoking pot ten or fifteen years ago because the first thing the cops do if they're involved in an accident is test. If they test positive they're fired first time no matter who was at fault.

Both are looking forward to one hell of a retirement party.

And I think the feds are thinking very hard about putting pot laws in the hands of the states.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:36 am

Dumb policy for a place named Home de Pot.

Personally I never hire party poopers, virgins or saints. I find them irritable and hard to work with.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:34 am

Home Depot is a good place to buy brass fittings and plastic tubing for homemade bongs and pipes.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government