MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker writing a book

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Walker writing a book

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:04 pm

But not by himself. His ghost writer is the former chief speechwriter for G.W. Bush.

As a college dropout (or was he pushed out?) he probably needs a lot of help.

"Unintimidated: A Governor's Story and a Nation's Challenge"
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker writing a book

Postby Leroy Gates » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Bill Ayers was unavailable.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:But not by himself. His ghost writer is the former chief speechwriter for G.W. Bush.

As a college dropout (or was he pushed out?) he probably needs a lot of help.
I wonder how many librarians he would recognize by name via his few days as a student. Which most inspired him, and why? In which section did he do most of his browsing during his developmental years?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SidSeven » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:25 am

He should call his book "Pride & Prejudice"
or
"How My Parents Moved to a State I Really Hated So I Got Even"
or
"Walker (can i be a) Texas Ranger?
SidSeven

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 am

This book removes any doubt that Walker is running for president, and I expect it will help him in 2016 primary fight. But are Wisconsin voters going to take kindly to their governor writing a vanity book arrogantly proclaiming that the emperor is "unintimidated"?

Maybe the Walker political brain trust thinks he has no competition in 2014.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:32 am

Living History is the memoir of United States Senator from New York (and former First Lady and Secretary of State) Hillary Rodham Clinton, published in 2003.
In December 2000, Simon & Schuster agreed to pay Clinton a reported $8 million advance for what became Living History — a near-record figure to an author for an advance at that time.[1] Critics charged that the book deal, coming soon after her election to the U.S. Senate, but before being sworn into office, was not in adherence to the ethical standards required for members of the U.S. Senate.[2] However, in February 2001, the Senate Ethics Committee gave Clinton approval for the deal.[3]]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_History
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 am

Wow. Hilly did better on her book than her "cattle futures" and White Water combined!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 am

Shhh... Ned, we're talking about Scott Walker's unethical behavior regarding the writing of a self-promotion book in preparation for running for high office before he has even completed the term of his present office. That is clearly ethically wrong of him to do, as you can see from all the astute comments above. The $8 million advance he has no doubt probably surely predictably received from the Koch brothers should be a separate issue.
Last edited by Meade on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am

Meade wrote:Shhh... Ned, we're talking about Scott Walker's ethical behavior regarding the writing of a self-promotion book in preparation for running for high office before he has even completed the term of his present office.

Right, the criticism of Walker's book idea is about ethics, and has little to do with the fact that he has accomplished nothing, and is no more qualified to be President than you are, Meade.

The delusion continues.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 am

Meade wrote:Shhh... Ned, we're talking about Scott Walker's ethical behavior regarding the writing of a self-promotion book in preparation for running for high office before he has even completed the term of his present office.

I don't find the ethics interesting. But it sure looks like a politically awkward move for his bid to continue as governor. Of course there is always the Sarah Palin option.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 am

Huckleby wrote:I don't find the ethics interesting.

Oh. Well then I stand corrected. I should have pointed out what an awkward political move it was for Hillary to write that self-promotion book.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:01 am

Maybe he'll do the Palin thing and resign to run his campaign, leaving us with the highly-qualified Governor Kleefisch.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:04 am

Huckleby wrote:This book removes any doubt that Walker is running for president, and I expect it will help him in 2016 primary fight. But are Wisconsin voters going to take kindly to their governor writing a vanity book arrogantly proclaiming that the emperor is "unintimidated"?

Maybe the Walker political brain trust thinks he has no competition in 2014.

Every politician above a certain level "writes" a book. Or several books. For the most part, nobody reads them and nobody cares.

Romney wrote a book. Cain wrote a book. Gingrich wrote a book. That guy from Texas whose name I can't remember wrote a book. Ron Paul wrote a book. Rick Santorum wrote a book. Michelle Bachmann wrote a book.

Actually, the headline on the latter says it all: "No one is buying Michele Bachmann's book".

I seriously doubt that Walker's book will either help or hurt him in any future campaign, unless his ghost-writer includes something extraordinarily idiotic.

"Politician Writes Book That Nobody Reads" is right up there with "Dog Bites Man" when it comes to eye-catching headlines.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:09 am

Meade wrote: Oh. Well then I stand corrected. I should have pointed out what an awkward political move it was for Hillary to write that self-promotion book.

Evidently it wasn't an awkward move, it worked very well for her financially and politically. She apparently has the biography to fit her grandiose "Living History" title.

I think Walker's "Unintimidated" promotion will play with conservatives nationally, but will be cringe-worthy for most Wisconsin ears. Perhaps you see our governor as a heroic figure who is committed to serving Wisconsin.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 am

kurt_w wrote: I seriously doubt that Walker's book will either help or hurt him in any future campaign, unless his ghost-writer includes something extraordinarily idiotic.

The fact of the book hurts him locally. WI people now know unequivocally that he is focused on his presidential run, if that wasn't already obvious from his national speaking tour. The other political books you mentioned were not by politicians running for local office.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government