MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Catching a bike thief. Downtown Madison

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Catching a bike thief. Downtown Madison

Postby dave esmond » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Was your bike registered? If not, then it's probably long gone at a pawn shop.

Exactly.

If you haven't already call the pawn shops. Call ALL of the local bikes shops and tell 'em to be n the lookout.

Hopefully you have the serial number otherwise it's gonna be pretty much impossible for any of those places to know it's your bike.

Which brings up another idea from places where lots of bikes get stolen. Do something to your bike to make it stand out from all the other ones that are the same model and color. Stickers, paint, replace the headbadge. Anything to make it unique.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 pm

My guess is that the thief has, by now, seen all the coverage and decided to throw the bike in lake Monona. Not worth the $75.

Of course, I get that the bike was worth more to you than that, and it will cost you more than that to replace it, and that the situation sucks. Been there.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:** double edit: (sorry, this is what I do) -Dan Motor

I will bite; wtf do you do?

I hope you get your bike back.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kmgsft » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Success!! (sort of). The thief was arrested this morning and charged. A police officer recognized the man from the videos and caught him just a couple blocks from the ramp where it was taken. The thief sold the bike for $20 to a guy named Charlie ... so if anyone knows someone named Charlie riding around on a $500 Trek 3500 Green/Black mountain bike tell him I have $20 for him :)
kmgsft

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Congrats on catching the guy!
What happens next? Do you have to sue the guy in civil court to get your money for the bike? I realize the chances the guy will ever have to shell out money is unlikely, but hope you pursue it on principal.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby kmgsft » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:30 pm

I don't know yet. The thief is working with the police to recover the bike. I'm hoping that works out. I'll find out more tomorrow and will let everyone know.

Anyone else been through something like this? I'm assuming if he sold it for $20 he doesn't have much cash so getting the money back to buy a new one isn't going to be a possibility.
kmgsft

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Seems likely he's an addict and the cops or court will be trying to persuade him to reveal the identity of Charlie in exchange for reduced charges or whatever other inducements they use. Obviously, he's no stranger to them.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:38 pm

kmgsft wrote: The thief sold the bike for $20 to a guy named Charlie

See, I told you he was calling someone. He checked out the bike even after he had it loose.

You'd be surprised how many bikes are stolen "on consignment." The other tactic is to come in to Madison with a van, steal as many bikes as possible in one night, and then resell them elsewhere: Chicago, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, and other WI college towns are popular destinations.

Another tip for not getting your bike stolen: ugly your bike. Yeah, it's going to reduce the resale value, but that's sort of the idea.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Oh come on. "Ugly" a perfectly good Bianchi? Who is going to do that? Insane.

Use B-Cycle or buy an in-town beater bike used for less than $100 if you're going to be locking up your bike in town. Save your $500 mountain bike for mountain biking and your Milano Dama for styling around town being a chick/dude magnet.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:52 pm

A while back the UWPD stated the Bait Bike program putting GPS on bikes and tracking them if they got stolen. They were also giving out these stickers to put on your bike:

I put one on my bike for added security. I don't know if they still run the program or not, but I've still got my sticker.

http://www.uwpd.wisc.edu/crime-preventi ... rogram.htm
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:52 pm

robbie webber wrote:ugly your bike. Yeah, it's going to reduce the resale value, but that's sort of the idea.
Resale value? What is this? Bikes are a blessed sacrament, my son. We do not resell bikes. We pass them on.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kmgsft » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 am

Heres the latest. Go figure Mr Jonathan J. James lied to the cops. The person he claimed he sold it to was located and questioned .... only to find out that he bought a bike LAST year from him. The bike being sold for $20 was all made up and its still out there.

This guy apparently has stolen bikes and other items from all around the downtown area and lives very close to the Capitol.
kmgsft

Postby kmgsft » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:24 am

Heres a photo of the bike:

kmgsft

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 am

I'm thinking SidSeven sold it for cocaine.

Seriously, do you park that thing on Willy Street a lot? Either I've seen it or it's got some twins. It's fairly distinctive with those tires.

Hope it shows up, but I have a feeling someone's parted it out already.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kmgsft » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:35 am

You've seen it recently on Willy St? I've never parked it there before. Its always in the ramp or on campus.
kmgsft

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines