MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker writing a book

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Walker writing a book

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 am

Such books are often bought in mass by deep-pocket political allies (who then give them to like-minded people and are often unread) to boost the reported sales and put some money into the purported author's pocket, all the while avoiding public disclosure of their "donations".
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am

Huckleby wrote:
kurt_w wrote: I seriously doubt that Walker's book will either help or hurt him in any future campaign, unless his ghost-writer includes something extraordinarily idiotic.

The fact of the book hurts him locally. WI people now know unequivocally that he is focused on his presidential run, if that wasn't already obvious from his national speaking tour. The other political books you mentioned were not by politicians running for local office.

Plenty of governors write books. Tommy Thompson wrote a book while in office. Did it hurt him?

You could be right. Maybe lots of Wisconsinites don't have already-formed opinions of Scott Walker, even after the past couple of years. And maybe this news will influence people. But I doubt it
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:46 am

Huckleby wrote:The fact of the book hurts him locally. WI people now know unequivocally that he is focused on his presidential run......

Do you honestly believe that someone will vote for the Dem opposing him instead of Walker because of this? That seems pretty goofy to me.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:15 am

Bland wrote:Do you honestly believe that someone will vote for the Dem opposing him instead of Walker because of this?

Statewide elections are decided by non-ideological people who swing between Tammy Baldwin and Scott Walker for God knows what reasons. Walker's book alone is not a deal breaker, but it certainly contributes to the impression that he is not focused on WI. That larger factor certainly could affect a gubernatorial election.

Hey, my stock as a political analyst is running sky high! During the recall election, I relayed anecdotal evidence that the public was uneasy with the idea of a recall. I was skewered for being a Chicken Little, even accused by some as being an enemy agent. My evidence was ruled hear-say, inadmissable . Well looky what happened: most analysts said that Walker won in a landslide precisely because the public was uneasy with a recall.

Yes, a lesser man would have cowered from offering such an observation in this liberal hangout, but like Scott Walker, I was unintimidated.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am

You left out your prior prediction that the recall effort wouldn't get enough signatures to even hold that election.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 am

If we had run a viable candidate I would tend to agree with Huck. But we didn't. We ran a guy who didn't bother campaigning, probably because people kept telling him the public was uneasy with a recall.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:23 am

Henry Vilas wrote:You left out your prior prediction that the recall effort wouldn't get enough signatures to even hold that election.

that was not my prediction. But to the extent that I was worried, that still leaves me batting .500
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:24 am

Huckleby wrote:Yes, a lesser man would have cowered from offering such an observation in this liberal hangout, but like Scott Walker, I was unintimidated.

I stand with Liberal Huckleby!
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:28 am

rabble wrote:We ran a guy who didn't bother campaigning

I may be in a minority, but I thought Tom Barrett was an excellent candidate. I suppose there is some valid second-guessing, the tv commercials were poor, but Barrett presented his case very well in speeches and debates.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Huckleby wrote:I may be in a minority, but I thought Tom Barrett was an excellent candidate.

Did you really just type that?

Not only are you in A minority, you are in THE minority. The definition of minority is where you reside on this issue. On at least three occasions your guy Barrett has been unable to convince the majority that he's an acceptable candidate, to say nothing of excellence.

There is no Dem candidate. The book will not hurt Walker and neither would he be hurt if, today, he openly announced that he's eagerly running for president. It does not require a tea leaf reader to understand how miserable the current state of the Wisconsin Democratic party is. Their party spokesperson acted like an absolute donkey in public and retains his job. Worse, NOBODY on the left is doing ANYTHING about it, let alone offering up a viable alternative.

They are bystanders at the Capitol. They are pleading with Russ Feingold, who couldn't defeat Ron Johnson, to run for something. Anything. They (you are not alone) still believe three-time-loser Tom Barrett is a viable candidate. They utter names like Ron Kind.

Has it been so long since the state has produced a decent Democratic candidate that nobody knows what one looks like?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey, anybody remember when Tom Barrett used the phrase "I'm going to put Madison on a diet." multiple times?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 pm

What about Tammy beating Tommy?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Bland wrote:
Huckleby wrote:The fact of the book hurts him locally. WI people now know unequivocally that he is focused on his presidential run......

Do you honestly believe that someone will vote for the Dem opposing him instead of Walker because of this? That seems pretty goofy to me.

I actually agree with Huck here. I know a lot of Democrats that wouldn't vote against Walker in the recall, they either skipped the election or voted for Walker. Elections have results and a lot of people felt uneasy trying to reverse the results.

That being said, Wisconsinites are a very practical group. They will count that Walker wants to run for President in 2016 against him and may oust him in a regularly scheduled election in 2014.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:41 pm

You mean Tommy Thompson? The ancient big-government Republican who nearly lost to Eric Hovde in the primary? The guy who did just about everything short of telling Tammy to "run along, little girl" in their debates? In a presidential election year? With Barack Obama at the top of the Dem ticket showing up in Madison every other week?

Tammy ran a good campaign, but she had a big financial advantage thanks to the GOP candidates beating each other up in the primary. Is she going to run against Walker?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:42 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Huckleby wrote:I may be in a minority, but I thought Tom Barrett was an excellent candidate.

Did you really just type that?

Not only are you in A minority, you are in THE minority. The definition of minority is where you reside on this issue. On at least three occasions your guy Barrett has been unable to convince the majority that he's an acceptable candidate, to say nothing of excellence.

There is no Dem candidate. The book will not hurt Walker and neither would he be hurt if, today, he openly announced that he's eagerly running for president. It does not require a tea leaf reader to understand how miserable the current state of the Wisconsin Democratic party is. Their party spokesperson acted like an absolute donkey in public and retains his job. Worse, NOBODY on the left is doing ANYTHING about it, let alone offering up a viable alternative.

They are bystanders at the Capitol. They are pleading with Russ Feingold, who couldn't defeat Ron Johnson, to run for something. Anything. They (you are not alone) still believe three-time-loser Tom Barrett is a viable candidate. They utter names like Ron Kind.

Has it been so long since the state has produced a decent Democratic candidate that nobody knows what one looks like?

The Dems held the Governorship for the 8 years before Walker. 2010 was a crazy year politically and couldn't have happened at a better time for Rs.

People were screaming to vote the bums out, it didn't matter who. The Dems held more seats so more Dems got voted out. Now the Rs have gerrymandered the lines so badly that the Dems will never win a landslide like the Rs did in 2010 even if they approached getting 60% of the vote statewide.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government