MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Scott Walker vs. his book and which Dem?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Scott Walker vs. his book and which Dem?

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:55 pm

The theory has been advanced on this board that Scott Walker's book will work against him in the 2014 gubernatorial race because it will be seen by pragmatic Sconnies as a sure sign he's going to run for president and be somehow less interested in serving the interests of the state. Or something.

But that only makes sense if there's a candidate running against him who is credible. Viable. Likable. [url=http://bluedownstate.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/eight-potential-democratic-candidates-for-governor-of-wisconsin-in-2014/Here's a list I've seen[/url]:

Mahlon Mitchell, President of the Professional Firefighters of Wisconsin
Peter Barca, Wisconsin State Assembly Minority Leader
Steve Kagen, former U.S. Representative
Ron Kind, U.S. Representative
Tom Nelson, Outgamie County Executive
Kathleen Vinehout, Wisconsin State Senator
Lori Compas, Executive Director of the Wisconsin Business Alliance
Jessica King, outgoing Wisconsin State Senator

Apologies if that ruined your lunch.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Scott Walker vs. his book and which Dem?

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:01 pm

I like Jon Erpenbach
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Someone else who isn't named above. It's still a log ways out for the vote at this point.

Also, way to start a thread to take a "shot" at certain posters advancing a theory in another thread. Shouldn't it have stayed in that thread? That thread was already about Scott Walker's book deal, why do you need another thread to discuss the same thing?
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:35 pm

None of the above generally isn't a choice on the ballot.

My point is that there's nobody out there who can beat Walker in 2014, book or no book, presidential candidate or not. Your point is that someone unnamed can do it.

Are you serious?

I'm not taking a shot at you, I'm arguing with you. I think you're wrong and, as if to prove exactly that, you don't identify a single name of someone who can beat Walker in 2014.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Kathleen Falk
Dave Cieslewicz
Doug La Follette

3 names not on J's list.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Shaka Smart
Buzz Williams
Flip Saunders

Three names on the list for Minnesota Gophers basketball coach.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Brett Hulsey.

I have to agree with JJ on this one. I don't see any stand out candidates. There are people I like such as Barca and Erpenbach and Vinehout, but I just don't know if they're "sellable" to the people. I realize that's a shitty term, but I feel that was Barrett's(and probably the party's) problem. Walker had a shtick and people were fooled by it. I personally feel like Feingold has moved beyond Wisconsin. I don't know what his aspirations are, but I just can't see him running for Senate again here.

Are there any other "rising" stars in the WI dem party? Slightly unknowns that have the potential to revamp the party.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:02 pm

jjoyce wrote:Three names on the list for Minnesota Gophers basketball coach.

Golden Ground Squirrels' loss, Tubby's gain.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Are there any other "rising" stars in the WI dem party? Slightly unknowns that have the potential to revamp the party.

Why are you ignoring Kaleem Caire?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:11 pm

There are a few rising star Dems. But none of them can beat Walker.

And Walker has a "schtick" only if by that you mean he has a clear set of objectives, a strategy to accomplish them, a stacked legislature and an uncanny ability to remain on message and avoid distractions. These are otherwise known as skills or talent. He's owning the Dems for the same reason my teen son owns me at Mario Kart: He's better at this.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Keep going, Jason. Why is your teenage son better at Mario Kart?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 pm

jjoyce wrote:And Walker has a "schtick" only if by that you mean he has a clear set of objectives, a strategy to accomplish them, a stacked legislature and an uncanny ability to remain on message and avoid distractions.

I meant "schtick" in terms of his campaigning. I think he's governing a lot more aggressively than some would have thought. I think he was able to get many independent and moderate votes with his whole brown bag lunch campaign bullshit.

I don't deny that he has political talent and skills, but I don't think he has skills actually governing. I believe he has been campaigning for president since the day he started campaigning for governor.

I do admire what Caire is trying to achieve(even if I don't always agree witht the methods), but I never thought of him as having political aspirations for office. I think he would probably make a good candidate because of his conviction and perseverance, but what indications do you have that he would want to run for something?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Joe Parisi? Ron Kind? Judy Faulkner? Mary Burke?

Those are just four potential candidates that would probably do better than anyone on that list.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 pm

jjoyce wrote:My point is that there's nobody out there who can beat Walker in 2014, book or no book, presidential candidate or not.

Based on...what?

Did anybody think Feingold could lose in 2010? Did anybody think Baldwin could win in 2012?

Is there somebody that could/would beat Walker in 2014? I'm not sure. But it seems pretty presumptuous to say there's nobody that can. I'd argue the recall election didn't prove much, since Barrett had already lost to Walker once before, which says just as much about Barrett as it does about Walker, and that there were at least some people that voted for Walker (or perhaps didn't vote) not because they liked Walker, but because they didn't like the idea of a recall. Plus it's hard to say what the political climate in this state will be in another year and a half.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:47 pm

There's also somehow a huge deficit built up during his term and a long, long way to go to his key campaign issue of 250,000 new jobs. He has to run the next time with results from his policies there to be picked apart instead of bumper sticker slogans and false promises.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government