MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Cultural Insensitivity

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:52 am

peripat wrote:Why can't religion do the accommodating for a change?

I will second this and add, if a meeting, gathering, or work function falls on a religious holiday you observe and you choose to skip these because of the religious holiday, well then, you chose religion over those other things. It's as simple as that. That is obviously your priority and not everyone shares in those.

Stu, if you truly believe it was cultural insensitivity to hold the Iron Chef event on Friday, why did you go? It seems as though you would skip it out of protest.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:30 am

Schedule them all and let God sort them out.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 am

Not just holy days...how about holy times of the day. Lots of folks in Madison celebrate 4:20 each&every day. Should the City schedule their meetings around that?

For real, how does the gov't decide which religions are "acceptable" and which are not? And should it be doing so?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:22 am

Stu Levitan wrote:I believe for most Christians, it's Good Friday, Easter, Christmas Eve and Christmas; for some, add Ash Wednesday.

I don't pretend to speak for any Christians, let alone "most," but take out Good Friday. Even the Catholics I know don't go to mass that day and it was never actively observed in my family, which attended church each week. Easter always falls on a Sunday, so that doesn't really count because government offices are closed.

I have worked on Christmas Eve and the same goes for most other Christians in the real world. It has traditionally not been a federal holiday, although the president included it this year as a perk.

Ash Wednesday is really only a big deal for Catholics and people really ought to stop assuming all Christians worship the way Catholics do.

What surprises me is that the MNA resides within the 6th district, one of the most active and competitive in the city. There should have been more forums and they should have been held in other parts of the district (I'll leave questions about the propriety of hosting such an event at a Catholic church to others), particularly the troubled and traditionally under-served Darbo-Worthington.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 am

So Steb joins Peripat, and Bdog in calling for the city to adopt policies making it more difficult for Jews to participate in local government. Got it. Good to know.

Their casual anti-Semitism is exactly why the city needs policies like this.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 am

Stu Levitan wrote:So Steb joins Peripat, and Bdog in calling for the city to adopt policies making it more difficult for Jews to participate in local government.

Throw in Christians, Muslims, and Hindus and I'm in too!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:34 am

Stu Levitan wrote:Their casual anti-Semitism is exactly why the city needs policies like this.

APRIL FOOLS!!!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:35 am

It's about kowtowing to any sectarian religious belief. I've travelled to many other countries and they tend to shut down government for certain Christian saint days. The post office is closed, banks don't open and everyone gets a day off. The locals love it.

What about those who strictly adhere to the biblical injunction against working on their religion's Sabbath Day? Should government stop functioning because some people take seriously their day of rest?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:41 am

Let's play it safe and shut down government 365 days per year. Except for leap day. We'll schedule everything for one day every four years.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:So Steb joins Peripat, and Bdog in calling for the city to adopt policies making it more difficult for Jews to participate in local government. Got it. Good to know.

You might feel less singled-out if you took a walk through the interfaith calender:
http://www.interfaithcalendar.org/2013.htm

My all-time favorite religion is Zoroastrianism, whenever I am asked about my religion I self-identify. I love Z for many reasons, but chiefly because the name of the God "Zoraster" sounds cool. Also, I'm intrigued that the religion was once the dominant faith of the middle east, today it is obscure.

Anyway, last Thursday marked the birth of the greatest prophet, Zarathushtra. I expect you were just too busy with Passover to even notice.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Will Stu Flanders ever tell us why he went to such a culturally insensitive event in the first place? Or how any Catholic was prevented from attending?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:So Steb joins Peripat, and Bdog in calling for the city to adopt policies making it more difficult for Jews to participate in local government. Got it. Good to know.

That is one of the most fucked up things you've ever written. I expect an immediate apology because I NEVER, fucking NEVER singled out Judaism. If this the level of your maturity on the subject, then I have lost a great deal of respect in you.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:50 pm

I think it's insensitive to demand that I accommodate your religious observances. If you want to observe Good Friday, Yom Kippur or Ramadan, you're welcome to do so, but asking the rest of us to make special arrangements for you is unfair.

If someone were to purposely schedule a meeting with the purpose of excluding someone who had a religious conflict in order to pass a bill that they couldn't otherwise pass, I'd have a problem with that. In that case you'd be discriminating against someone's religion, but simply being indifferent to others' religious observances does not, in and of itself, constitute discrimination.

Maybe while you're off contemplating talking snakes, God will make sure the commission does the right thing.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 pm

pjbogart wrote:I think it's insensitive to demand that I accommodate your religious observances.

Well now, according to Stu's book of cultural sensitivity, you're an anti-Semite. Welcome to the club.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Jerry: Yeah, I got some family backstage. Course my family's nuts; they're crazy. Yep. My uncle Leo, (quick take of Uncle Leo in bed with Lydia, watching Jerry on TV. Lydia is laughing, Leo is not) I had lunch with him the other day, he's one of these guys that anything goes wrong in life, he blames it on anti-Semitism. You know what I mean, the spaghetti's not al dente? Cook's an anti-Semite. Loses a bet on a horse. Secretariat? Anti-Semitic. Doesn't get a good seat at the temple. Rabbi? Anti-Semite.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All