MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

How long should a ban last?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby Galoot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:52 am

Forever.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1457
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:10 pm

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:33 am

I don't really see the point in a "pre-ban" given that it seems like everyone who's been banned has been warned repeatedly that their postings are over the line. It's not like Jason comes on and bans someone after a few offensive posts. If that were the case, I would have been banned about 100 times by now.

If the banning process takes longer than one of Jason's top ten projects, I'm not sure how a warning serves any purpose.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6188
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:52 am

penquin wrote:I guess they ain't, eh?


When you were booted, you went after me pretty good on another board. Personal stuff (weird considering I couldn't pick you out of a lineup). And you didn't use your real name when doing so, which I think is a chump move. It reinforced the decision to 86 you from this board.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:06 pm

pjbogart wrote:I don't really see the point in a "pre-ban" given that it seems like everyone who's been banned has been warned repeatedly that their postings are over the line. It's not like Jason comes on and bans someone after a few offensive posts. If that were the case, I would have been banned about 100 times by now.

If the banning process takes longer than one of Jason's top ten projects, I'm not sure how a warning serves any purpose.


Sorry. Yes my 2 week suggestion would assume some actual moderation happening. If the current level of moderation were to stay I'd say the status quo is about as good as we are going to get. Other boards have pretty well laid out rules, points systems for infractions against those rules and levels of banishment. Also signing up for a new name whilst banned is an automatic lifetime ban.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7855
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:08 pm

People who don't like the level of moderation happening on this site adopt one of two arguments. Either there's no actual moderation or there's a fascist level of moderation.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:People who don't like the level of moderation happening on this site adopt one of two arguments. Either there's no actual moderation or there's a fascist level of moderation.

And where would you rank the level of moderation? 1 being no actual moderation 10 being fascism.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7855
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby O.J. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Anyone that thinks there is a fascist level of moderation on this forum is a Nazi.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm

O.J. wrote:Anyone that thinks there is a fascist level of moderation on this forum is a Nazi.


DRINK!
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 pm

It all depends on whether or not the poster in question engaged in the use of post-enhancing drugs.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby penquin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Kurt: as usual you put it better than I could. Years ago, I was a lot more passionate and a lot less tolerant than now-a-days. If I owe you an apology (and I probably do), then I am sorry.

JJoyce: the worse personal comment I recall making about you is saying you a "hack sportswriter for a free weekly paper". If that, or anything else I said, hurt your feelings then I truly am sorry. (However, someone a while back ago mentioned that you thought I was Mr. Blues, so perhaps you're attributing things to me that I didn't write/say). I do remember you making several comments about folks who don't post under their "real" name, at what point I flat-out stated that "Benjamin Trapp" is my legal name tho most friends and co-workers really do call me "Penquin" and that was before you deactivated the account.

But none of that really matters now. If you really think that one should be forever banned because of...well, for whatever reasons you deem...then you hold the keys to make that happen. As I said before, my main purpose for coming back was to see if any old grudges were still being held before I bought a ticket for one of your events. It is too bad those old feelings are still lingering, 'cause I was looking forward to sampling all that foodcart food...but obviously you (and other Isthumus staffers?) would be very uncomfortable if we bumped into each other and I really don't want that.

(and no, that ain't snark at all: the event looks like a blast, and it will most likely sell out.)


PS to everyone - I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case not only were there no warnings what-so-ever given before my account was deactivated, no responses at all were given to the emails that asked "Why?"

Tho,thinking about it some more, it may have been phrased more like "Why the fuck?!" But regardless, no reason at all...before or after...was ever given. I ain't saying that is a right way or a wrong way for a moderator to handle things...just saying that is how it was handled.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 pm

fisticuffs wrote:And where would you rank the level of moderation? 1 being no actual moderation 10 being fascism.


Depends on the day.

penquin wrote:If that, or anything else I said, hurt your feelings than I truly am sorry.


Classic!

I'll be out of town for A La Carts.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:38 pm

As long as they still know their own songs, get their makeup on right and keep their balance on 7-inch leather heels, I don't see any reason for them to quit.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3635
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby scratch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:37 pm

jjoyce wrote:When you were booted, you went after me pretty good on another board. Personal stuff (weird considering I couldn't pick you out of a lineup). And you didn't use your real name when doing so, which I think is a chump move. It reinforced the decision to 86 you from this board.


Forons can be banned from TDPF for what they do in other forums? Really? Why?

And Jason, you've brought up your haughty disdain for people who post under names other than their real names before. If that's such a giant aggravation and affront for you, why do you allow monikers on this board?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 pm

scratch wrote:
jjoyce wrote:When you were booted, you went after me pretty good on another board.

Forons can be banned from TDPF for what they do in other forums? Really? Why?

I think you're mis-placing the "when" in Jason's first sentence there.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Re: How long should a ban last?

Postby scratch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
scratch wrote:
jjoyce wrote:When you were booted, you went after me pretty good on another board.

Forons can be banned from TDPF for what they do in other forums? Really? Why?

I think you're mis-placing the "when" in Jason's first sentence there.

Perhaps, but
JJoyce wrote:It reinforced the decision to 86 you from this board


So, untoward behavior elsewhere won't in and of itself get one banned here, but could reinforce the decision? After the fact, of course.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Dane County

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar