Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Have you eaten yet?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Have you eaten yet?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Eh, you're not so weird, sno.

I generally eat an early-morning snack -- usually an orange or a couple Cuties -- and then don't eat again until 1 or 2. Dinner is usually around 7 or 8, and then the rest of the night, I graze. Handfuls of nuts here, a couple hunks of cheese there. Maybe a handful of chips or some crackers. About an hour before bed (midnight-2AMish) is banana time. No idea why I'm so much hungrier during the tail-end of the day, but I've always been that way.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:27 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Have you eaten yet?

Isn't that a common greeting in some language/culture? Maybe Tibet/India/China? I forget. As a frugally fat guy, I encourage its use here.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 pm

Breakfast was cereal with yogurt and cinnamon toast. Morning snack was a pear.

Lunch was two slices of veggie pizza, small salad with fruit. Dinner was a hamburger and apple sauce. Dessert was a choc chip cookie.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:52 pm

snoqueen wrote:I never eat breakfast. I eat one good-sized meal around 10-11 am and another one around 6 pm and that's that. The meals don't really have names.

Coincidentally, at our family's evening meal, I explained to the kids that where I grew up (small town in SW Minnesota), some people still used old farm culture terms for meals, which sometimes caused slight confusion. Breakfast for everyone in the morning, but what us city slickers called lunch was often dinner for the rural routers, and when we had dinner, the others were having supper.

I usually have a banana to stop the coffee from eating a hole in my guts before lunch.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 pm

My up-north relatives said breakfast-dinner-supper too. Not farm language in their household, but sawmill language. I can remember the noon whistle on the mill that sent everybody walking home for dinner (lunch, to us).

Re "have you eaten?"

Isn't that a common greeting in some language/culture? Maybe Tibet/India/China? I forget.

I have some Chinese friends and we compare language a lot. They tell me at home, people say "have you eaten" when someone coughs or sneezes. It's similar to our "gesundheit" which is German for something like "to your heath" so it makes sense. A friend from Korea says her grandmother used "have you eaten" as a greeting but it sounds old-timey to modern Koreans.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:About an hour before bed is banana time.

I've heard of low-hanging fruit...
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:50 am

For breakfast, some homemade granola over a heaping mound of thawed raspberries and fresh mango, accompanied by some plain yogurt sweetened with just a little maple syrup. Yum.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:32 am

snoqueen wrote:I also do not care for coffee and never drink it. Makes my hands shake and I feel all jumpy for hours and it's like I can't turn it off.

Sit back and enjoy the ride!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All