MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bummer. RIP Roger Ebert

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Bummer. RIP Roger Ebert

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Two thumbs up for this man.

I followed him on twitter and he kept up an amazing pace until the end. Pulitzer Prize winner and very interesting man.

NPR

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bummer. RIP Roger Ebert

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

As a Chicago native, I grew up watching and reading Ebert's reviews. A sad day...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 am

I begin to feel like most Americans don't understand the First Amendment, don't understand the idea of freedom of speech, and don't understand that it's the responsibility of the citizen to speak out."

-Roger Ebert

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/04/04/176273118/remembering-roger-ebert

I wonder if heaven is like “a beautiful valley with honey and nectar and zephyrlike breezes”?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:15 am

The best single sentence of film criticism ever written:

"Pearl Harbor" is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how on Dec.7 1941 the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle.

If you were thinking about buying a ticket to this movie, what more do you need to know?

I read a fair amount of film criticism. Roger Ebert was my favorite by a country mile.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 pm

I started watching Siskel and Ebert back in the late 70's, when the show was still called Sneak Previews and was still on PBS. I was already more than a little movie-obsessed, but that was what really sealed the deal; I still remember 'Spot the Wonder Dog' leaping into the balcony to herald the 'Dogs of the Week' (one week it was C.H.U.D.S.!).

And like any good snob I preferred Gene and his vaguely supercilious air of high-brow condescension to Roger's uncouth rabelasian zeal. Plus it was nakedly obvious that Ebert was a total horndog; on the 'Guilty Pleasures' episode one of his picks was Emmanuel in Paris.

My fondness for them did not survive the jump to commercial tv; I would still watch it from time to time, but the half-hour format didn't work as well with all the commercial interruptions, and I bitterly missed Spot.

The parade of replacements for the old PBS show were all dogs of a different color (including, if memory serves, the lamentable Leonard Maltin as well as professional culture scold Michael Medved); I didn't even notice when they finally gave up and cancelled it.

Ironically, the same thing happened when Siskel died; Ebert gamely soldiered on for a while, but I don't think anyone really appreciated what a rare thing Gene and Roger had until after death broke up the team. They were perhaps the last public intellectuals to make an impression on mainstream American culture, and almost certainly the last 'critics' as opposed to 'reviewers' to have that kind of media exposure.

[...and...fade to black].
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Marvell wrote: Plus it was nakedly obvious that Ebert was a total horndog; on the 'Guilty Pleasures' episode one of his picks was Emmanuel in Paris.

He also co-wrote the screenplay for Russ Meyer's sexploitation film Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Ebert's greatest failing as a critic (and mind you, I generally enjoyed his work) was that he often reviewed movies with his dick. There's no other explanation for his seemingly neverending praise for movies starring Sandra Bullock.

Marvell wrote:They were perhaps the last public intellectuals to make an impression on mainstream American culture, and almost certainly the last 'critics' as opposed to 'reviewers' to have that kind of media exposure.

Check out this awesome clip of Siskel and Ebert reviewing Chevy Chase's career on The Tonight Show in front of Chevy. (Note also that Chevy doesn't come off as the complete asshole we've all come to realize he is.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines