MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

GOP voter supression continues

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

GOP voter supression continues

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:27 am

This time in Montana.

The measures would ask voters to eliminate same-day voter registration, and put in place a new primary election system that only allows the two political parties that get the most votes in the primaries to be on the ballot in the general election.

Both are seen as benefiting Republicans. Third parties have acted as spoilers for some Republican candidates in recent elections. Same-day voter registration is considered a plus for Democrats.

Any ballot-measure bills that pass the Montana Legislature with a simple majority of both chambers move right to a public vote, bypassing the governor's office.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: GOP voter supression continues

Postby Meade » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 am

Hen V apparently didn't read the article he links to. Ironically, it was the Dem senators who attempted to suppress a vote being taken:
Democrats tried to stall action on the bills through a rarely used parliamentary procedure, demanding that the vote be delayed until a missing Democratic senator was found and brought into the chamber.

Poor hapless Hen V. You really just have to laugh, right?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:27 am

I find it hypocritical that a self-professed moderate won't condemn an attempt to eliminate third party candidates from being on the ballot in Montana.

Also from that news report:
"I'm saddened by what we saw today - it's worse than Washington, D.C.," Governor Steve Bullock said. "I'm not embarrassed by men and women demanding a right to speak - I'm disappointed by those who denied it."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:15 am

Meade wrote:Ironically, it was the Dem senators who attempted to suppress a vote being taken:

Your logic is so flawed, I am slightly embarrassed to respond.

The Republicans are transparently trying to pass laws that will suppress voting by citizens. For icing on the cake, they came-up with a devious trick to tilt the playing field at the party level.

On the other hand, the Dems are using parlimentary rules in a legislature to try and block the enactment of a law that they view as antidemocratic and capricious.

You equate the two actions?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:44 am

This thing will be killed at the polls, but it sounds to me as if the Republican Party has a death wish. You can't get any more stupid than to try to restrict for whom Montanans can vote. This thing is going down hard. To do this by a legislative ballot measure shows weakness in a state that has citizen petitions for initiatives. If they really believed in the measure they would collect the signatures.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:46 am

Meade wrote:You really just have to laugh, right?

Actually, watching you hurt yourself is sad. I kinda wish you'd give it five minutes and re-read it once in a while.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:05 am

If we work it right, we can do some more drinking.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 am

snoqueen wrote:If we work it right, we can do some more drinking.

You know who else took power through parliamentary maneuvering?

That's right--Hitler!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:44 am

North Carolina is getting in on the action:
A bill filed in the state Senate Tuesday would carry a tax penalty for parents whose children register to vote at their college address.
But it could effectively cut student voting in counties like Watauga and Orange, where college voters have been a key part of the Democratic Party's dominance.
The same provisions on student voting have also been rolled into a larger omnibus bill, Senate Bill 666, which would also shorten early voting days, ban early voting on evenings and weekends and prohibit same-day registration.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 am

DCB wrote:North Carolina

wow. this one takes the cake
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Damn. Not only am I a NC native, but I hope to retire there. At least the weather is nice. If the GOP is going to micromanage my life, I'd rather them do it in a more temperate climate;) Seriously, the GOP knows it's losing the war, so they ned to try and win a few battles. But it won't work- America (and NC for that matter) is changing.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Republicans are only sort-of losing the war. They will adapt. The deaths of both the Democratic and Republican parties are regularly proclaimed.

Their control of so many governorships proves that their power is not solely due to gerrymandering.

Governorships

State Legislature Control,
Upper and Lower Houses

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Huckleby wrote:Republicans are only sort-of losing the war. They will adapt. The deaths of both the Democratic and Republican parties are regularly proclaimed.

Yeah, no kidding. After 2002 all the talk was about a "permanent Republican majority". Then after 2006 and 2008 it was all about "the death of the Republican party". One would think that 2010 and 2012 would have made the point that electoral fortunes continue to be fickle.

The Republicans aren't "losing" and in fact they're going to win big in the off-year elections next year (including retaking the Senate).

The Democrats will then have their turn to win again in 2016.

It's all foretold here.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government