MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Guest Workers

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Guest Workers

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:44 pm

About time. While actions can be illegal, people cannot.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:53 am

Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 am

Linus can be excused because he is only 9. But by now, sentient adults should know that being in this country without documentation is not a crime. Just like building a deck on your house without a permit is not a crime. Both actions are illegal, but not part of the criminal code. People who break administrative rules are not criminals.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 am

Comic strip called "Libtards"? Meade just got a new buddy on my ignore list.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am

Leroy Gates wrote:"AP will no longer use the term "illegal aliens" from now on they will be referred to as "undocumented Democrats."
Jay Leno

Nothing says "incisive domestic policy discussion" like quoting Jay Leno. Sheesh. Have some self-respect.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am

have some sense of humor
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:07 am

Huckleby wrote:have some sense of humor

This is directed at Jay Leno right?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:47 am

Hey, I'm cool, I hate Jay Leno. But I thought the "undocumented democrats" was pretty funny. Leno has a good joke every other tuesday.

I think the hispanics voting dem is glorious, nothing to shy away from. I may go out and kiss some anchor babies today.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Huckleby wrote:Linus can be excused because he is only 9. But by now, sentient adults should know that being in this country without documentation is not a crime. Just like building a deck on your house without a permit is not a crime. Both actions are illegal, but not part of the criminal code. People who break administrative rules are not criminals.

Are you just carefully choosing words or what? Illegal entry into the United States is a crime (a misdemeanor) and subsequent illegal entries are felonies. You don't get 6 months to 2 years in prison for a deck built without a permit.

Civil penalties under this subsection are in addition to, and not in lieu of, any criminal or other civil penalties that may be imposed.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/8/12/II/VIII/1325
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:14 pm

The best way to start a war is to convince people that they're already at war.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 pm

Dangerousman wrote: Are you just carefully choosing words or what? Illegal entry into the United States is a crime (a misdemeanor) and subsequent illegal entries are felonies. You don't get 6 months to 2 years in prison for a deck built without a permit.

You are partially correct. But it is complicated. About half of undocumented workers came here legally, so you are wrong half the time. Also, among those who entered illegally, young people would not be subject to the law.

If you think that it is appropriate to refer to all undocumented workers as criminals, I encourage you to do so. Shout it from the mountain tops, please.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Immigration bill path to citizenship too stringent, advocacy groups say

Encouraging comment from Republican Senator Cornyn:
"The present congress can’t bind future congresses, nor the current president bind future presidents, so I think we need to be realistic in terms of what this present congress could bind future congresses to, in terms of goals five years and 10 years out.”

I say it is encouraging because at least one Republican gets it: a 13 year path to citizenship is not ultimately going to stick. If the Democrats get sucked into agreeing to this now, I certainly hope they will continue to fight to get that waiting period reduced. Cornyn evidently acknowledges that the Dems will have the upper hand. I hope he is right.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Looks like Ted Cruz just wants guest workers with no path for citizenship.

As the immigration debate begins before the full Senate for the first time, Sen. Ted Cruz has become one of the most vocal opponents to the current bill. But Cruz says the true obstacle to immigration reform is not him, but President Obama.

“The biggest obstacle to passing common sense immigration reform is President Barack Obama,” Cruz tells The Fine Print, going on to say that the White House’s “insistence” on including a path to citizenship is standing in the way of the bill’s ultimate passage.

This is pretty silly: It’s akin to saying that Obama’s insistence on real immigration reform (which would include a path to citizenship) is putting Cruz’s preferred fake immigration reform (which would lack a path to citizenship) at risk. As Steve Benen puts it, the path to citizenship is “not some gratuitous, tangential provision — for the White House, it’s the point of the bill.”

Even the Southern Baptists (a conservative group that usually votes GOP) wants immigration reform, as they see a lot of potential converts to their faith. This is in contrast to their views about the Boy Scouts accepting gay members.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Looks like Ted Cruz just wants guest workers with no path for citizenship.
Creating a working class who don't vote is the ultimate Republican wet dream.

Funny thing is, Ted Cruz and I are now on the same tactical page. I pray for immigration reform without a path to citizenship! The way that the current bill is shaping up, it really just blocks citizenship much longer than Republicans could ever have otherwise hoped for. Throw-in the new "guest worker" crap, and I would say the immigration bill is optimized for Republican interests.

The ideal bill, from my perspective, would legalize immigrants and leave the issue of citizenship unresolved. Hispanics would get a much quicker, clearer path if they allow the political dynamics to play out. The non-Tea Party Republicans know this and are wildly enthusiastic about getting something like the current legislation through.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:18 pm

How is your plan, without a path to citizenship, different from Cruz's proposal? It's permanent guest workers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government