MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Bar Rescue

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Bar Rescue

Postby kimm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:05 am

The people from Bar Rescue were seen in Middleton this weekend. I can think of one or two places that could use a little rescuing around there. Anyone else hear anything?
kimm
Forum Addict

Re: Bar Rescue

Postby fennel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:26 pm

kimm wrote:The people from Bar Rescue were seen in Middleton this weekend. I can think of one or two places that could use a little rescuing around there. Anyone else hear anything?
I'm not familiar with them. Are they playing in Madison, too? What's their genre? Do they have an agent?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 pm

fennel wrote:
kimm wrote:The people from Bar Rescue were seen in Middleton this weekend. I can think of one or two places that could use a little rescuing around there. Anyone else hear anything?
I'm not familiar with them. Are they playing in Madison, too? What's their genre? Do they have an agent?

Not sure if you're being a smartass or not, but assuming you aren't, Bar Resume is a reality TV show where experts help to fix bars that are failing. http://www.spike.com/shows/bar-rescue
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:27 pm

My guess was that it's someone who takes over a struggling bar and turns it around. Like a reality show or some such.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 pm

I have no information in any way about this show, or on the financial status of any of the bars in Middleton. That being said, the Branch Street Retreat and the New Town Pub both have seemed pretty empty when I have been there recently. Admittedly, I am usually not there on a Friday or Saturday.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 am

I haven't been to the Branch Street Retreat since an over-zealous bouncer kicked me out when I was 23. After helping a friend of mine move to a nearby apartment we headed over for a beer. I've gone by my middle name for most of my life and as I showed the bouncer my ID my friend called out to me to get my order. Upon hearing this the bouncer refused to believe that my ID was genuine and gave me the gate. My parting words were "Fine, I'll go to the Boar instead." and I've been doing so ever since.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby geoffafa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:28 am

well I worked as a busboy at Branch Street Retreat a couple years ago and I could see it on Bar Rescue
geoffafa

Postby john_titor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 pm

I watch the show. The main guy is kind of a pompous fella and likes to yell at staff. Much like the cooking shows, most of the bars featured on the show go out of business eventually anyway. This leads me to believe the premise of all of these shows is wrong. It is not so much that the bar or restaurant is in need of a makeover, they are, it is more that the owner has given up on the idea a long time ago and really doesn't want to be doing it anymore.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I wondered how they would get the "stress test night" people to come in and suspected Craig's list. I could find nothing. Maybe Jon Taffer's daughter goes to UW.

edit: Would love to be an extra, I know how to drink. just sayin.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:50 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Bar Resume is a reality TV show where experts help to fix bars that are failing. http://www.spike.com/shows/bar-rescue
Wow. This is weird beyond imagining. Not only because someone would assume familiarity with a low-budget TV show, but because it has no presence on Netflix.

More important, we have a much more relevant resource right here in town: the National Conference of Bar Examiners, located at 302 S Bedford Street!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails