MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Overture Center 2013-14 season

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Overture Center 2013-14 season

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:02 am

The "new" season was announced earlier this week.

I know I am not their target audience ... but my word, these programming choices again appear boring, boring, boring. That being said, while I may not be their target audience I have to help pay for the place and all those high-priced administrators that are doing ... what, exactly?? Certainly not turning up more interesting touring show choices.

Seriously, is it just me? Does everyone else love what they're doing with their programming? I'd really like to know, because it's strangely irritating every year when they make their big announcement and there's not a single show I'd pay to see.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Overture Center 2013-14 season

Postby depinmad » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:05 am

Just for fun, why don't you present a list of five more interesting touring productions you'd like to see at Overture, with examples of similar sized venues (overture hall 2,250 seats and capitol theater 1,100 seats) in other cities where these productions are being staged.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:23 pm

minicat wrote:Does everyone else love what they're doing with their programming? I'd really like to know, because it's strangely irritating every year when they make their big announcement and there's not a single show I'd pay to see.

Nearly everyone I know has seen at least one show at the Overture if not many more this past year. They've had some pretty big national touring shows this year that have been sellouts.

I'm with Dep. What shows that are out there do you want to see?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Who would that be fun for, exactly? Certainly not me. #1 on the list is Swim Team, I guess.

But more seriously, I see the point about the venue sizes, and I know there's a zillion moving parts to deal with in booking touring shows when you also have to balance resident companies that use the same spaces. While it's clear from my OP I have some concerns about the way Overture's been managed over the years, I didn't start this post just to be a jerk. I'm seriously curious about whether folks are fired up about the announced season schedule. depinmad, if you are familiar with what sort of touring productions are available for this size venue, and know this is pretty much how that sort of thing rolls no matter how creative the bookers get, please educate me.

Overture's a beautiful facility, and I don't think anyone wants to see it fail (including myself). But I'm sure I'm not the only one who's continually left scratching my head when the season is announced each spring.

Stebben, I've seen shows at the Overture Center ... but they've all been put on by outside promoters.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:31 pm

I would like to see David Sedaris. That was the only thing that interested me. I wish Cinema Titanic was coming here instead of Milwaukee.

I generally don't see much there. I don't care for Broadway shows. However, they seem popular. However, I don't think they should be programming for me. They should be programming for the people that actually have money to see shows.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:40 pm

LargeMarge wrote: I wish Cinema Titanic was coming here instead of Milwaukee.

Yeah, I'll second that. Maybe we'll get lucky, I'd guess they're still filling out the schedule a bit.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:51 pm

We'll probably see Sedaris, and maybe Tiempo Libre.

Wish list: Book of Mormon, Steely Dan, Cinematic Titanic (we'll go to Milw again if it doesn't come here).
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:07 pm

A big part of it also has to do with what's available and it's touring schedule. Shows and exhibitions get booked out years in advance sometimes and if you can't make their schedule meet yours then you can't get the shows.

As with Cinematic Titanic, I don't know if it was ever on Overture's short list, but it could very well be that MKE booked them first and much like larger touring bands, they're not gonna book MKE and Madison. I think chances of it coming here are slim. But hey, we had a whole thread about going to MKE so this seems like a great opportunity for folks.

That said, I do agree that next season is weaker for programming. I do think that they had a pretty solid year this year as many more people I know went to see multiple shows than in the past. Not that this is a gauge, just different then years past.

Ducatista wrote:Wish list: Book of Mormon

I would love for that to come here, but looking at it's touring schedule(at least of now) they are really only hitting up large metropolitan cities(with a couple exceptions)
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Stebben84 wrote:As with Cinematic Titanic, I don't know if it was ever on Overture's short list, but it could very well be that MKE booked them first and much like larger touring bands, they're not gonna book MKE and Madison. I think chances of it coming here are slim. But hey, we had a whole thread about going to MKE so this seems like a great opportunity for folks.

I already bought my tickets for the Milwaukee shows and made a hotel reservation. I spent a weekend there a couple of years ago and had a great time. We keep meaning to go back so now we have an excuse.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Maybe it's because I used to work there but the last couple of seasons have elicited no more than a "Meh." I like going to shows but there's too much repetition. I've seen enough Chinese acrobats to populate a village.

Rain, BTDT, no new material so why bother? Flashdance and Sister Act, how about something less than a quarter century old? Chicago, BTDT in NYC, Huey Lewis as Billy Flynn.

I'd like to see something a bit newer and maybe more cutting edge. Too bad I don't know what that might be.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:48 pm

I'll definitely be taking the gf to see Wicked.

Each night.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:05 pm

The past couple of years I've only gone to a handful of shows at the Overture. I really wish the Overture was more like the Pabst in Milwaukee. I'm going there to see Marc Maron in a few weeks and I've got tickets to Cinematic Titanic already. It would have been great if they had gotten The Postal Service since they aren't playing Wisconsin at all right now. Pabst also had Antony Bourdain and Eric Ripert which I didn't go to but would have if it had been here in Madison. I would have gone to see Steve Martin play banjo if it had been here too.

Part of the reason the Pabst is so great is that they book a wide variety of shows, comedy, and other acts and their theaters are seldom dark, unlike Overture.

Last year the only shows I went to were Love Stories, Andrew Bird, and The Prairie Home Companion late show. I couldn't get tickets to Prairie Home Companion since I wasn't going to enough shows to get a subscription and it sold out (pretty much) before tickets went on sale to the public. That doesn't exactly help me support Overture when they have so few shows that I want to see and I know I can't get good seats because I can't buy enough tickets for a subscription. This year I'm interested in Chicago and the Mars rover talk but will probably have to skip Chicago due to good tickets selling out.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm

For those who prefer a more visual method of communication, here is the video announcement of the upcoming season. (If you're one of those geeks like me who enjoys montages & time-lapse of Broadway shows being set-up on stage then you'll wanna watch at least the first minute of it.)

Personally, I think they have a lot more variety this year. Not just Broadway shows, but also comedy shows, ballets, opera, Nat'l Geo lectures, Beatles and Queen tribute bands, dance troupes, international & local choirs, a couple children theater productions, a lil' jazz and a whole heck lot more. Tho, in the interest of full disclosure, it should be pointed out that I am occasionally employed by Overture...and I'll admit to being a lil' biased about the place.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:59 pm

Ducatista wrote:Wish list: Book of Mormon

Your wish has been granted. I am pretty excited.

Book of Mormon in 2015
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Ducatista wrote:Wish list: Steely Dan

This one, too, though it'll (potentially) cost ya.

http://host.madison.com/ct/entertainmen ... eaa80.html
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe