MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

WI being sold to other countries

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

WI being sold to other countries

Postby Shorty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Goody bye Wisconsin! It was nice having you in America. Now Walker is carving up and selling off the State to other countries, sadly.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/s ... sin-041513

"Back in February, when he presented his budget, Scott Walker, the goggle-eyed homunculus who was hired by Koch Industries to manage their Midwest subsidiary formerly known as the state of Wisconsin, slipped a little tidbit into his budget whereby he proposed that a law banning the sale of large tracts of land to foreign corporations would be overturned. That law passed in 1887, when the people of Wisconsin knew damn good and well what happens when you hand your state over to big corporations, and when they stood up and showed the rest of the country how to fix it. Of course, that was before the genius of Free Trade descended upon us all."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WI being sold to other countries

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Wisconsin is something of a world leader in the production of ginseng. As in, not only do we produce a ton of it, but it's valued as a superior product, like "Genuine Wisconsin Cheddar". Walker recently secured a contract with one of China's top importers of ginseng that they would only purchase genuine Wisconsin ginseng, which is great provided that they don't simply purchase the farms and steal our ginseng.

Is it a climate thing? Why is Wisconsin known for it's ginseng?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:14 pm

It's a climate-and-soil thing, from what I've learned. Marathon County (up by Wausau) is the center of ginseng cultivation, and for whatever reason ginseng grows best on the north side of a hill under hardwood trees preferably maples, and they've got those conditions up there. The stuff takes several years to mature so it's not a simple crop like corn or potatoes where you plant seeds in the spring and harvest in the fall.

Ginseng harvesters were known as "'sangers" a few decades ago up there though I don't know if the term is used any longer. Poaching of ginseng off other people's land was a big concern, as was pulling up too much to leave a viable planting that would re-seed itself for future years. If you knew where a wild ginseng patch was, you didn't tell anyone else.

Cultivated ginseng is grown in the same area -- it's quite labor-intensive as well as a slow crop -- but the wild-grown is most valued by the Chinese buyers. They can tell which it is by subtle differences in the shape of the root, which is the part of the plant they value.

You can buy a piece of dried ginseng root and chew it and see if it does anything for you (try Community Pharmacy, they used to carry it). Some people find it energizing, though not like caffeine. If you receive acupuncture treatments and they suggest Chinese herbs for your condition, sometimes they'll suggest ginseng. It's not for everything, it's for specific disorders. I believe the Native Americans also recognized it as a medicinal plant.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm

pjbogart wrote:Is it a climate thing? Why is Wisconsin known for it's ginseng?

Maybe, but I think it is mostly branding at this point. In the past I have gotten a kick out of seeing sweatshirts with "Marathon Ginsing" printed on them in SF's china town. I believe that 'Shang' is one of Wisconsin's oldest tightest relations in trade with China.

This notion is kind of weird when you think about it as the producers on the northwest coast are, pretty much, kicking our ass.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:28 pm

snoqueen wrote:It's a climate-and-soil thing, from what I've learned. Marathon County (up by Wausau) is the center of ginseng cultivation, and for whatever reason ginseng grows best on the north side of a hill under hardwood trees preferably maples, and they've got those conditions up there.

You really do not understand how this crop is grown commercially do you? You are funny and I have to say I have a hard time understanding at times - as well.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:41 am

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Crop land's one of the next bubbles to burst.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Crop land's one of the next bubbles to burst.

Grammar, epic fail, ned flanders?
grumpybear

Postby Shorty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:49 pm

At least Ned stayed on topic. I didn't expect this would turn into a ginseng discussion. But coincidentally I saw this today:

Misleading Chinese Ginseng Deal
http://www.newwisgov.com/blog/chinese-g ... land-rules

"Scott Walker is misleading us again. State newspapers are helping him do it. Desperate for good news on jobs, Scott Walker announced Wisconsin will sell millions of dollars of ginseng to China. The problem is we already sell millions of dollars of ginseng to China...
When state newspapers print headlines saying "Scott Walker Signs $200 Million Deal" it makes it sound like he is bringing new business to the state. The $200 million is just the average yearly business we already do with China multiplied by the ten year agreement which simply renewed the agreement put in place by the Wisconsin ginseng growers & Governor Doyle in 2009."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:08 pm

What if we could sell Walker to China for $200 million?

Ya, I know he ain't worth so much.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm

snoqueen wrote:Ginseng harvesters were known as "'sangers" a few decades ago up there though I don't know if the term is used any longer.

It was "shanger" in my day, after shang, slang for ginseng. Weeding shang was a lucrative but back-wrenching gig for high school kids.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Crop land's one of the next bubbles to burst.

Well (Larry?), I think you are right.
http://www.economist.com/node/18586884

Although, is selling bits of Wisc off to foreign nationals for short term profit a good idea? Viscerally I object to this notion. Perhaps you could explain how I may be off base.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Ducatista wrote:It was "shanger" in my day, after shang, slang for ginseng. Weeding shang was a lucrative but back-wrenching gig for high school kids.

I am impressed on a number of levels.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 am

You really do not understand how this crop is grown commercially do you? You are funny and I have to say I have a hard time understanding at times - as well.

The domestic cultivated conditions try to mimic the natural conditions I described, as the pictures show. That's what cultivation is all about, ya know?

Interesting the little (regional?) difference in pronunciation between Duca's and my versions. I picked up my term around Antigo in the early 80s or late 70s.

I am glad someone found a link to put Walker's fabulous marketing coup in perspective. I've been wondering the last few days how he suddenly found some new Chinese herb merchants, when in reality setting up working relationships in China takes years, not three or four days. Answer: he didn't.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:41 am

The domestic cultivated conditions try to mimic the natural conditions I described, as the pictures show. That's what cultivation is all about, ya know?

Interesting the little (regional?) difference in pronunciation between Duca's and my versions. I picked up my term around Antigo in the early 80s or late 70s. I guess it's being commercially grown in Canada now as well as in the northwest so I don't understand why the Wisconsin stuff should be such a big deal any more.

I am glad someone found a link to put Walker's fabulous marketing coup in perspective. I've been wondering how he suddenly found some new Chinese herb merchants, when in reality setting up working relationships in China takes years, not three or four days. Answer: he didn't. No surprise there.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government