MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Southern European wine regions

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Southern European wine regions

Postby Madsci » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm

So where would your suggest to visit? This is still in the initial planning stage for sometime in the next couple of years.

For family reasons, Croatia is on the wish list. We are thinking one other country would include, Italy, France, or Spain (at least we can speak a bit of it's language).

We like red wines. So it Germany out of the running?
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Southern European wine regions

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Have a look at Provence and Languedoc. There are a number of producers there who have essentially opted out of the appelation system to see if they can make a name for themselves outside of the formal regulatory system. They're free to experiment with unconventional grape varieties, for example, or to deviate from prescribed proportions. (Even if they seek to make traditional wines.)
Algeria and Lebanon are worth looking into, as well.

I don't know much about other regions, but I'd love to hear your report.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Has anyone been to N Italy? I have been told the area may have good some good wine.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Madsci wrote:Has anyone been to N Italy? I have been told the area may have good some good wine.
No, that couldn't be. You must be thinkng of North Dagestan.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:35 pm

fennel wrote:
Madsci wrote:Has anyone been to N Italy? I have been told the area may have good some good wine.

I had to look Dagestan up, so no, too far east. Have you been there? We are looking for places on or closer to the Mediterranean.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Madsci wrote:
fennel wrote:

I had to look Dagestan up, so no, too far east. Have you been there? We are looking for places on or closer to the Mediterranean.
I kid, I kid.

But only because it's as if you're asking whether there might be some interesting architecture in Florence, say. No matter where you go, you'll be in proximity to too many good wines to choose from.

I like me some wine, though I don't know a lot about Italy. But I do know that the Piedmont region has a huge reputation for big, earthy reds. (And Arneis is a beautiful stoney white from that area.) The area north of Venice, along the Adriatic, is famous for it's whites, too.

I have not been there, but I'm confident that if you go, you will love it. My only real suggestion is to travel slowly.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:10 pm

You kid, but I didn't know you are a goat!

We do travel slowly or else it isn't vacation. So many vineyards so little time...
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Travel