MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Vander Blue Going Pro/ Dropping Out

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Vander Blue Going Pro/ Dropping Out

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Curious if people have an opinion on this. It doesn't look like he is a lock for getting picked in the NBA draft. If that's the case, its D-league or Croatia making maybe 100K a year. Seems a Marquette education could net you close to 70K right out the door and be the long term option...
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Re: Vander Blue Going Pro/ Dropping Out

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:42 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote: Seems a Marquette education could net you close to 70K right out the door...

Maybe with a degree from a STEM program. Do you know what Blue was majoring in?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:47 am

Do you know what Blue was majoring in?

Basketball? That 70k/year job would require a lot of hard work not related to basketball. I think if he had a chance to get better as a college player he should play another year. The NBA does do some pretty rigorous scouting on the int'l scene though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 am

I guess if you're not into school, playing international basketball isn't a bad option. I'm a bit out of touch with what people make out of college, figure 50k for a decent job, then add 20k for the Marquette pedigree. Either way, unless he makes a career in the NBA, the Marquette education wins in the long haul.
From the stories I've read about those type of leagues(euro, d league), it's not a glamorous life. With respect to Vander, he seems like a bit of a Momma's boy, life across seas would probably be much rougher on him than most. I'm sure after the tourney, he sees himself as a bit of a superstar; wherever he goes it will likely be a rude awakening.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:19 am

I've had mixed feelings about him since he decommitted from Wisconsin. It's hard to root for someone who throws your school over for a bitter rival. Still, he's a kid. I really don't think he was into the academic part of the college life at all. So I'm just going to wish him well and hope he finds fulfillment doing what he really wants to do.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:35 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:I'm a bit out of touch with what people make out of college, figure 50k for a decent job, then add 20k for the Marquette pedigree.

There's a lot to quibble with regarding your numbers, but I'll leave them alone. I wanted to ask though: is Marquette really considered a top-tier school? Not from Wisconsin originally, I just don't know these things.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:17 pm

massimo wrote:...is Marquette really considered a top-tier school? Not from Wisconsin originally, I just don't know these things.

Here is their overall rankings from U.S. News. UW ranks much higher.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Hell, you can drop out of Marquette and end up being governor someday...
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gibe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:02 pm

barney wrote:Hell, you can drop out of Marquette and end up being governor someday...

That would be the funniest thing I read all day if it had not been for the Jose Canseco AMA
Gibe

Postby david cohen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Like so many others this year, Blue is entering the draft because this year's draft class is so weak, he has a shot. Next year, not so much. He can always not retain an agent and go back to school if he goes undrafted. One thing for certain: if his stock doesn't rise during workouts, he won't see much of a payday. The top Americans playing ball in Europe do pretty well financially, but don't get the superstar treatment NBA players get.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking