MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Thunderstorm Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Big Education

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Big Education

Postby The One » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:35 pm

I didn't go to the UW, so I'm not that mad. I do know that people pay a boat load of money in tuition in the name of good professors and competitive programs. Now the state finds over $600 million the UW is setting aside, sending the right to freak out, much like the left freaks out over oil profits.

Let the spin begin!
The One

Re: Big Education

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 pm

So deficits bad, surplus worse?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:44 pm

The One wrote:I didn't go to the UW, so I'm not that mad.

I wonder if you even finished high school. It's obvious you weren't on the debate team.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm

The One wrote:I didn't go to the UW, so I'm not that mad. I do know that people pay a boat load of money in tuition in the name of good professors and competitive programs. Now the state finds over $600 million the UW is setting aside, sending the right to freak out, much like the left freaks out over oil profits.

Let the spin begin!

By whom???

Is it wrong for the UW System to set aside monies for future projects? Would it be wrong if the State of Wisconsin actual had a surplus of money?

How much money of the total UW System budget is funded by state dollars verses tuition, boarding and user fees? How about the UW althletic department? Does it run a surplus? Should the athletic department get to keep it's funds separate on is that part of the surplus?

What is the $600 million for? How much did it cost to remodel Union South or Ogg Hall? How much money does it take to run the UW System? Is the legislature cutting funding to the UW this year? How about last year? How many building and facilities does the UW System provide upkeep to?

That's the questions I came up with in two minutes before I would even consider to answer if the amount of reserves is reasonable or not.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm

The One wrote:much like the left freaks out over oil profits.

That's the example you want to use?

UW - 600 million dollar surplus(which is better than being in the hole)

BP plc, Chevron Corp, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil Corp, and the Royal Dutch Shell Group. They earned a combined $28 billion in the third quarter of 2012, reaping more than $90 billion in profits through the first three quarters of the year.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/1 ... r-in-2012/

Ya, I guess it's pretty much the same thing.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I wonder if you even finished high school. It's obvious you weren't on the debate team.

Why so cranky? He is just raising a topic for discussion and doesn't want to debate.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Please note that my response was to his opening sentence. I didn't set the tone.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm

The One wrote:I didn't go to the UW, so I'm not that mad.

Okay, I have to ask. I went to the UW and I'm not mad at all. How come I should be mad?

I'm not mad, do you hear? I'm not MAD! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 pm

rabble wrote:I went to the UW and I'm not mad at all.

Hmm, something didn't work right, then. I recommend another degree.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:58 am

Hmmm, let's see:

republican legislators at every level all over the country are demanding that public universities run themselves as "businesses"
    same repug legislators & governors continue to decrease the state dollars they send to public universities all while keeping a death grip on controlling what universities DO with that $$

universities not allowed to raise tuition to meet their costs - you know, that whole "successful business model" of balancing expenses and income

and oh yeah, by the way, universities also expected to cover all capital improvements while being constrained from raising the price of their service to meet those needs.

SO - yup, I'm pretty happy that UW was able, in the face of continuing obvious attempts by know-nothing legislators to strangle the system, to have some capital reserves. I'd say they were doing a good job in spite of the goons in Fitzwalkerstan.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:52 am

Because the Wisconsin Legislature has cut funding for the UW system, the system built up a raining day fund. So what does the Legislature do in response? Threaten to cut more funding.

GOP Senate leader wants to cut UW funding
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Stebben84 wrote:UW - 600 million dollar surplus(which is better than being in the hole)

Very true, and they will be criticized if they go over budged, and vilified just as bad for spending wisely. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. I applaud the $600 million surplus.

That said, I think as well as spending it on other desired projects, they should also try to return some of it by lowering tuition.

The Republican complaint is dumb and self-serving.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:26 pm

The Republicans calling for decreased funding are just theater for Walker's call for freezing tuition which, unless funding is increased to cover increased costs, is just another form of decreased funding.

That money is socked away for emergencies, ie unexpected expenses. Tuition hikes are due to rising expenses which are easily seen over time, not emergencies.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The One » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:19 pm

I can see that many find it OK to raise the cost of tuition, ask the state for money, and scream foul when the state looks to cut all while keeping a $600 million ($200 million taken solely from tuition)tucked away.

Don't get me wrong, I like that the UW is financially well off and able to keep some money in reserve. But stop jacking up tuition.
The One

Postby HawkHead » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:31 pm

The One wrote:I can see that many find it OK to raise the cost of tuition, ask the state for money, and scream foul when the state looks to cut all while keeping a $600 million ($200 million taken solely from tuition)tucked away.

Don't get me wrong, I like that the UW is financially well off and able to keep some money in reserve. But stop jacking up tuition.

PSSSST.... the state owns the University.

Just becasue our legislators are financial illiterate (not able to ready financial statements) doesn't mean the University System pulled one over on the legislature.

The UW System has to submit an annual report, annual budget and in that budget ask for state monies.

That members of the legislature had no idea what the surplus amount was just shows that they are incompetent.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government