MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

On-Topic Week, presented by TDP

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

On-Topic Week, presented by TDP

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Several threads have been locked, mainly due to the fact that they weren't very good. If you contributed to them, I'm sorry. Try to create better threads in the future.

Moving forward, please keep your posts on topic this week. Posts about who is or is not a troll or feeding the trolls will be deleted and the accounts of those who post them suspended. Posts from those deemed trolls or troll feeders by TDP admins will be deleted and the accounts of those who post them deactivated.

Threads with posts that attempt to define one's opponent will be locked. Advocate for your own beliefs, criticize someone else's stated beliefs, but refrain from this mind-numbing practice of debating with a straw man. Most of all, stay on topic. It's On-Topic Week, after all. Dive into it.

Finally: If you value quality content on this site, then acknowledge that you're one of the content producers and produce decent content instead of always trying to get over on the other guy. If you're logging on just because you don't have anything better to do, then you're probably not going to do anyone much good. Instead, consider reading an interesting article, listening to a good record, cooking a delicious meal, taking a beautiful walk or watching a funny movie and then tell us about it. I really want to read that stuff. But I really don't care what you think about assault weapons. And nobody else does, either.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: On-Topic Week, presented by TDP

Postby massimo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm

So, I posted in the prostitution thread before reading this. Be gentle, O great one.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:38 pm

It's lockdown Monday!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I can't go for a beautiful walk. I've already taken my pants off for the day.

Plus it's supposed to rain.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:38 pm

I just read over the locked threads and I'm mystified as to the locking criteria, so I'll be very very quiet this week. Have fun cooking, and stay out of the rain.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Oh, way to go, guys. You made Jason mad by accusing him of not moderating and now he's sticking his finger in your eye. What's a guy like me supposed to do? Being abrasive is all I've got.

Hmmm... It's Tuesday but I could always go get some beer and get shitfaced. It's hard to be off topic on the Drunk Posts thread.

When do I get to go back to being an asshole? Is it just a Monday thru Friday deal? Or do I have to wait until next Monday?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 pm

jjoyce wrote:Several threads have been locked, mainly due to the fact that they weren't very good. If you contributed to them, I'm sorry. Try to create better threads in the future.

You are blaming it on the thread creators and their topics? The Boston and West Texas explosions are big news and seem like perfectly valid threads. I see nothing wrong with those topics. And I don't see how people can be expected to create better topics.

The problems were some posts insides those topics by trolls and troll hunters.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm glad Jason decided to take moderating seriously. If it continues I will post new threads once in awhile.

It is Jason's place to judge, but it seems to me that a few of the responses in this thread venture out on the thin ice.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Sandi wrote:It is Jason's place to judge, but it seems to me that a few of the responses in this thread venture out on the thin ice.

i.e. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:18 pm

This is great! It's like Sheriff Andy finally let Barney take that bullet out of his shirt pocket!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Winston Zeddemore: Hey Ray. Do you remember something in the bible about the last days when the dead would rise from the grave?

Dr Ray Stantz: I remember Revelations 7:12...And I looked, and he opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake. And the sun became as black as sack cloth, and the moon became as blood."

Winston Zeddemore: "And the seas boiled and the skies fell."

Dr Ray Stantz: Judgement day.

Winston Zeddemore: Judgement day.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Strange moderating techniques.
I agree with what Shorty said above at 8:22.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Yes I concur. The problem is the posters in the threads, not the topic starters.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Sandi wrote:Yes I concur. The problem is the posters in the threads, not the topic starters.

If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 am

Who said anything about being abrasive? Keep it on topic and off certain other topics and you can be as abrasive as you'd like.

What's with reading comprehension these days?

Sandi, you're the queen of thin ice. I'm not sure anyone else on this board is as close to being 86'd as you are.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com