MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fire Chief Davis on Access: City Hall

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Fire Chief Davis on Access: City Hall

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Prepping interview with Fire Chief Steven Davis for Access: City Hall. Anybody got any questions?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fire Chief Davis on Access: City Hall

Postby sallybell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 pm

I've heard (and from what I've seen, this seems to be accurate) that anytime there is an ambulance call in Madison, a fire truck always accompanies the ambulance, just in case.

Is this true? And if so, why? The rationale I've heard is that it's a 'better safe than sorry' sort of policy. On the other hand, there's a nursing home down the street from where I work--I've seen an ambulance pull up (presumably to transport a resident), with a fire truck following behind--that seems an unnecessary use of resources.

Not being critical, just something I've been curious about for awhile, but haven't had a good opportunity in which to ask about it.

As an aside, a number of years ago, I lived in a house that had a major late-night house fire that involved some of my housemates being pulled of a balcony by the MFD. It was a truly sucktacular night, although everyone got out safely--and the professionalism, courtesy, and kindness of the first responders that night (both MFD and MPD), and of the MFD in the days after (as we were let in to retrieve belongings, and as they investigated the fire) has really stuck with me. I never got around to sending a thank-you note at the time, so if you'd pass that along to the current Chief, that would be wonderful.
sallybell

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 am

There are 15 fire trucks with full EMTs, 8 ambulances. Fire trucks usually get there first, can initiate care. Seconds can count.

I'll pass on your thanks.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun May 05, 2013 7:41 am

In addition to the video on Madison City Channel, interview airs on Books & Beats, 10am May 5.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government