MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Government Regulation Gone Amok

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Government Regulation Gone Amok

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:16 am

So I did my grocery shopping yesterday, while I was prevented from trolling the Daily Page, and there was a small table set in the aisle covered with bags of cheese curds. Sweet! Squeaky, salty cheese curds straight from the cheese curd factory!

But wait, these cheese curds are cold. And they don't have that tell-tale milky film on the bag or the little pool of salty juice at the bottom. These aren't fresh cheese curds, they're just cheese curds that someone left out to trick me into thinking they're fresh!

Naturally, I immediately wanted to know who (a) put those delicious cheese curds in the cooler in the first place and (b) thought it would be a clever ruse to leave them out and get me all excited. I looked around for Phil Woodman for a few minutes but all I could find was some pimply-faced teenager mopping up a broken jar of Claussen pickles (hearty garlic, judging from the smell). He seemed surprisingly knowledgable and explained to me that it was "illegal" to leave them out of the cooler. Aha! But there they are, out of the cooler! "You'll have to speak to someone in Dairy, sir."

But I had all the information I needed. Some government agent, a proverbial big-brother who moonlighted as some sort of anti-cheese curd crusader, had ordered the cheese curds refrigerated, thus rendering them virtually inedible. Surely no self-respecting Wisconsinite would have committed such a dastardly deed.

So what's a guy gotta do to get some squeaky cheese curds?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Government Regulation Gone Amok

Postby Galoot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:30 am

Refrigerated cheese curds. Yuck. I tried them once, not knowing any better (I'm not a Wisconsin native, forgive me for not knowing any better).

But damn, way to make me miss Wisconsin. The only remotely good cheese they have here in Brazil is queijo coalho, which they sell on the beaches. They roast the white cheese on a stick and then pour molasses over it. And it is squeaky!
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 am

Tom and Sally Murphy - Murphy Farms, Soldiers Grove, WI.
You'll find them at the farmers' market on Saturday.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 am

I remember going to Jenifer Street Market and getting cheese curds off the table. They were some of the best I've had next to the farmers market. Not sure if they still have them.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 am

I can't find it now, but I swear a few years back there was a web page which listed "fresh curd" days for various shops/stores. A friend used to go somewhere (a shop in Stoughton, I believe) every Thursday morning to get fresh curds.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 am

Our go-to curds at the farmers' market are Forgotten Valley. However, after tasting our purchase this week (first outdoor market this year), the usual salty goodness seemed somewhat lacking. We ended up purchasing a second bag from Farmer John, our former fav. They were delicious.

Now we'll have to decide which will be our weekly purchase. Maybe we'll mix it up this year.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 am

A confession:

I love cheese. Love love love love love cheese. I could eat it all day. In fact, my love of dairy is (I believe) what has prevented me from losing weight even after a couple years of generally eating much healthier and exercising more. And I love all kinds of cheese. Mild or stinky, hard or soft, real or processed. And cottage cheese? Fanfuckingtastic.

Yet I cannot stand cheese curds, and I'm pretty sure it's a textural thing. I cannot abide the much-loved squeak.

True, I am an Illinois transplant, but really -- I've lived in Wisconsin longer than I lived in IL, and WI is where the majority of my current food habits have developed. Yet I will never truly belong, I fear.

What the hell is wrong with me?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:42 am

Unfriended.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:03 pm

The only good cheese curd is a deep fried one.

Signed, life long Wisconsinite.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 pm

There are no bad cheese curds, only bad Wisconsinites.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:15 pm

fisticuffs wrote:There are no bad cheese curds, only bad Wisconsinites.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Geez, people -- I don't need you all to tell me that there is something wrong with me; I already said there was.
I want to know what the problem is.
Skull damage? Brain parasite? Tongue disease? Squeak phobia? Curd aversion?

There has to be a scientific explanation. Instead of unnecessary regulations, can't the government be working on my problem?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Refrigerated or otherwise stale cheese curds can be salvaged by 10-15 seconds in the microwave. A partial melting goes a long way.

Wagstaff, I dunno what's wrong with you. Sorry. Your condition is incomprehensible to me. Maybe it's like color-blindness - you simply lack the ability to taste delicious, delicious things. Do you hate ice cream too?
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Personally, I can't stand plain cheese curds. I'm with the Professor. Boring cheese. Fried curds-those curds pick up a lot a lot of flavor from the batter and the frying oil. I must admit I find them quite tasty.
P.S. I spent more than the first 20 years of my life pulling cow tits. But frankly, I never liked cheese of any kind until I hit my 30's. Not sure what changed my taste buds but now I'll eata pound or more per week
grumpybear

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am

Just got an email from Brennan's. They are celebrating Cheese Curd Days, April 26-28.

Free 1 lb bag of Brennan's Squeaky, Fresh Cheese Curds with $40 purchase*

Buy One, Get One Free, Hamburger and Brat Buns

Free Balloons for Kids

Cheese Curd Tastings- sample 3 new flavors to help us select our next great cheese curd!

Jacobson Bros. Brat Tasting

Cheesemaker Tastings

Wine and Micro-Brew Tastings

*While supplies last. Excludes gas purchase in Monroe. Regular and mixed curds only. Limit 1 per purchase per customer. In store purchases only.

Be there or be square.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All